*CANDY DROP KITES*

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!

*CANDY DROP KITES*

Post Number:#1  Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Jul 23 2007, 08:17 PM

I have heard of candy drop from a kite, but never have seen one. My wife's 37th birthday is coming on the 30 of this month and I would like to have a candy drop from a kite, instead of the well known Piñata, used in many spanish countries. this would be the first time for the whole church membership, to see and participate in something like this. BUT I NEED YOUR HELP. Since I´ve never seen one, can you tell me where to buy one or how to do it, and what kind of kite, I was thinking a revo. kite would be impresive for something like that..:¿¿¿???
Can you imagine the Revo. kite going fast from side to side and all the kids triyng to catch the tail or whatever it´s used to brake a ¿candy bag? ...I dunno....
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html
Hector Herrera

Re: *CANDY DROP KITES*

Post Number:#2  Postby Jeff » Mon, Jul 23 2007, 09:47 PM

Maybe Mike can post a better description, or a picture, but I saw how he did it at the Naperville fest.

Take a couple cannisters, maybe like empty Pringles cans, and tape or secure them to the vertical spars on the backside of the Rev. One on each for balance. Put the candy in, and hope for enough wind to lift it all. When the kite tips, the candy will fall out of the cans. You can try to drop just a little at a time.
IKE is on Image too!
Jeff

Post Number:#3  Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Jul 23 2007, 10:39 PM

Candy drops use usually done with large lifter kites, not Revs. The problem with revs is lifting enough candy for a lot of children. If there are just a few kids a Rev works fine. Or if you have a lot of time for multiple drops.

In the past I have used Roks and Foils to lift candy in buckets filled with candy. I bought a paint bucket liner (very light) and suspended it about 3 feet under the kite line hanging from a biner. I then attached a line to the center bottom of the bucket liner and ran it through the biner and then to the ground. When then line is pulled taut, the bucket turns upside down and dumps the candy. The weakness of the system is if you have twist in your line the biner may rotate around the line and tangle. The strength is that you can drop a lot of candy.

Sometimes I have used a second biner above the one hanging the bucket trying to reduce tangling.

Some thoughts about candy drops with lots of kids.

Separate the kids by age (larger kids will trample the small ones in pursuit of candy)

If you are dumping the candy from higher than right over their heads (Rev advantage) dump it in front of them, NOT on top of them. Candy falling from height can hurt.

Have a helper with a bag of candy to give some to kids that do not find any.

I have not tried it, but some candies are paper wrapped and flat, they should flutter down more slowly.

Good Luck.
Alan Sparling
TheBigKiteGuy

Post Number:#4  Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 24 2007, 05:44 AM

To drop candy from a Rev, I duct-taped a tube to each of the vertical spars on my rev. I filled the tubes with candy and slowly dumped it a little at a time from a couple feet above their heads.
Just make sure you have room behind you so you can back up if the wind drops.

Lee Sedgwick has a single cup attached to the end of the leading edge spar of his Rev.
Mike

Post Number:#5  Postby Babbman » Tue, Jul 24 2007, 08:10 AM

Mike wrote:To drop candy from a Rev, I duct-taped a tube to each of the vertical spars on my rev. I filled the tubes with candy and slowly dumped it a little at a time from a couple feet above their heads.
Just make sure you have room behind you so you can back up if the wind drops.

Lee Sedgwick has a single cup attached to the end of the leading edge spar of his Rev.

I thought the best part of the Naperville drop was Mike fighting to not drop his Rev on their heads...lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
Babbman

Post Number:#6  Postby Draftnik » Tue, Jul 24 2007, 10:51 AM

Mike you've done this with a Rev!!!??? We needa talk! :mrorange:

We've used kite bags tied to a lifter kite (something big enough to lift a candy load). Tie the bottom of the bag to the flying line, fill and slip knot a secondary line to the close off the top of the bag (the bag will be hanging upside down once it's lifted). Takes some careful lifting not to set off the slip knot too soon. I'm liking Al's method with a bucket!

Chicago Kite had some candy dropping mechanisms on hand at one of the festivals. A timer release thing. Like a kitchen timer that doesn't require batteries.

HTH,
Chris
TTFN,
Draftnik
Draftnik

Post Number:#7  Postby Hector Herrera » Tue, Jul 24 2007, 09:17 PM

Thank you so much everyone....I've got the picture. :up:
I was thinking that this "candy drop method" does not involve the kids in doing anything, they just wait for the kiter to drop the candies, :o
It gives me an idea that can revolutionise the method...??? What if we atach the tubes, (cannisters, maybe like empty Pringles cans), (like Mike did), but have both ends closed and allready filled with candies, one of the sides better) closed with some kind of fine and soft paper,...on the paper, attach a tail or a string if you prefer, and have the kite flying, and...HAVE THE KIDS GO AFTER THE TAIL, TO TRY TO PULL IT" ...so when one catches the tail, it will rip the soft paper from the tube, AND, !CANDY DROP!... activated by the lucky kid who pulls the tail...???
This method would be awesome with a rev. since the kite can go up and down, sideways etc., but the candy won't drop untill the tail is pulled... :shock: :up: 8)
Whatyathink...??? does it sounds innovative??? better? imposible?
I guess I am gonna be the first one to give it a try. :up:

I am gonna call it !!! PULL THE TAIL FOR CANDY DROP !!!
Or if anyone has a better name for this new method please, let us know.
:thanks: Everyone.

Editing this note: it would be a good idea to have a few more bucket ready for more fun... :up: 8)
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html
Hector Herrera

Post Number:#8  Postby Mike » Wed, Jul 25 2007, 05:59 AM

I like the idea!
Get some video of the party if you can. I'd like to see the whole thing in action. :revspin:
Mike

Post Number:#9  Postby chicagokite » Wed, Jul 25 2007, 07:50 PM

yes we do its a bag with a timer runs on the line but could be fixed

www.chicagokite.com
chicagokite

Return to General Discussion