Beginners Rev

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Roxy

Beginners Rev

Postby Roxy » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 10:18 AM

I think your right Jeff on conditions playing a big part in this. This could get costly getting a different kite for Chicago's weather.

From reading about them, some are harder more sensitive and not good for a beginner. Looks like the rev exp, rev 1 or 1.5 are the way to go.

I went to the rev links for purchase, the 2 stores in IL, no luck, one a non professional VM and the other a fast busy, leaving me to guess they are no longer around. Any recommendations on a place to purchase from?

If anyone wants to trade a rev for a never gotten off the ground prism.....

Mike

Re: Beginners Rev

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 08:24 PM

hiya Roxy,
too bad you couldn't make it out today. We'll catch you yet.

For our local weather you will eventually need two kites. A standard sail and a vented sail. You will also want at least 2 sets of spars. One set for light winds is called a 2-wrap (made with two layers of carbon), the other a 3-wrap. For flying in really strong winds, you'll need a 4 wrap, but that doesn't come up all that often and I would start with the 2 and 3 wrap. (Some people also put the 2+3 wrap together to make a stronger spar)

I would strongly recommend a Rev 1.5 rather than a Rev I. Most everyone flies a 1.5, there aren't many Rev I's flown anymore. Flying a 1.5 will let you play with the other Rev fliers more easily.

The EXP, SLE and B-Series all are the same size and are all basically 1.5s.

The standard SLE has a large diameter tube in it's leading edge and is probably not the best way to start.
The EXP is a good, relatively inexpensive way to start with Revs and has a good wind range. It comes with 3 wrap spars.
The SUL, is a lightweight 1.5 and is great for days like today. It comes with 2 wrap spars.
The B-Series is a great package. It's a 1.5 sail that comes with two sets of spars: 2 wrap and 3 wrap. With it's lightweight spars you can fly it in light winds like the SUL, with it's stiffer spars you can fly it in stronger winds.

Eventually, when the winds pick up in the fall, you'll want a vented kite. They are good not only for strong winds, but they are also great in lower winds for precise control. Most of the top fliers fly with vented kites when they can. They just put those 2-wrap or 3-wrap spars in there.

The standard Vented 1.5 comes with a thick spar that you almost never need, if ever. You can order it with a 4 wrap spar which is better.
The B-Series Vented come with 3 wrap and 4 wrap spars. A duplication of spars if you bought the standard B-series.

Just to confuse things a little more, you can also order a set of spars separately.

At the top of this page is a small banner ad for Chicago Kite. David Zavell sponsors our website and is who you should call first. He has good prices and should be able to get whatever you need.

After you muddled things over in your mind a bit, write back to us and tell us what you're thinking and we'll help you out.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 08:26 PM

(edit... ok, Mike and I wrote our posts at the same time... just as I thought!)

Roxy..

Both Chris and I started flying Revs just last year. We both have a bunch and I have purchased virtually every Rev that's out there...I love having them all but I could have gotten by with much less...

Here's my personal recommendations based on my experience and pocketbook considerations. I'm sure Mike and Chris will chime in here..

For Chicago, there are only 3 required...

1) 1.5 SUL
2) 1.5 SLE or B-Series... Personally, Chris and I prefer the B Series
3) 1.5 SLE or B-Series Vented.

It's all you really need. In fact, if you can handle a Rev without smashing it into the ground, the SUL and Vented may be all that you ever need.

For my tastes though:

1) 1.5 SUL - Great all around, low wind kite. Rev recommends < 8mph winds (I believe). We fly ours in heavier winds... most of the time, you can use the SUL up to the point of flying a vented. Myself, I prefer to only use the SUL in the lightest winds per Rev recommendations. But that's just me.

2) 90% of my flying is with the Standard B-Series. Because it comes with 2 frames (2 wrap and 3 wrap), it will handle most everything we experience here in the Chicago area until you get to 10+ mph winds. It's fast, crisp and great fun to fly. Very similar to the 1.5 SLE other than price and accessories. Considering that you get handles/2 frames, etc, the price, while close to $300, is a great deal. If you do decide to go with a 1.5 SLE though, be sure to request it with the 1/4" frameset. If you need more information, please ask..

3) on occasional days, +10mph winds are handled incredibly well by a vented. 10 is my low end with a 2 wrap frame but when we do get those higher wind speed days, there is nothing better than the vented for precision and control and fun.

If it were me, and I was sure that I was going to take flying seriously, and I could afford it, I would get the Standard B-Series to start with. If money is the issue, then the SUL is the way to go.

I will caution you on light wind flying though. Just because you get a SUL does not mean that flying in light wind is going to be effortless and easy. Light winds are tricky and typically involve lulls of no wind and shifting wind. Light wind flying is also a learned art form. Experience in normal winds is what will help you in the light winds.

I will also say that you will have to have patience and a resolve to learn to fly. Please feel free to use us and our experience to help you along. Flying with us or someone else experienced will help you grasp the basics quickly and hopefully prevent any frustration that would make you want to stop.

as for where to buy? Give Dave over at Chicago Kite a call. Tell him exactly what you want and he will get it for you if he doesn't have it in stock. His pricing is as good or better than anywhere else on the net. If you have any questions at all

PLEASE ASK! :-D

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 08:36 PM

I don't know if I missed anything, but if you are looking for a single purchase to cover MOST of our flying conditions, without a doubt, I would STRONGLY suggest a standard Barresi series(I own one and LOVE it!!)

It covers a wide wind range; 3-20 mph and comes with two spar sets, a 2 wrap and 3 wrap.

Check out this link for more info-- http://www.revkites.com/main/Barresi_Series

It will cost you a little more, but is still easier on the checkbook :wink:

As for where to buy, go here for contact info-- http://www.chicagokite.com/info.html

Call David and let him know what you want, he can get any color combo Rev offers, even if he dosen't carry it in stock.

If you still are in doubt, come to the picnic, and any of us will let you take our kites for a test drive :wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 08:39 PM

Babbman wrote:Flying with us or someone else experienced will help you grasp the basics quickly and hopefully prevent any frustration that would make you want to stop.

Absolutely.

I've found it to be invaluable to spend time flying with the experienced fliers here. You will not only learn how to fly, but learn about the kites, the different models, the conditions, etc. I've been sucking up the knowledge all season, and only just recently felt that I knew enough to know what I wanted. Earlier in the year, I couldn't have told you the difference between most of the kites.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 08:48 PM

FYI, David is in Oshkosh this week for the airshow...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 08:54 PM

[quote user="Roxy"]Watching all the videos on Rev has been truly amazing. [/quote]

By the way, if you haven't happened across some of the videos posted in the forum, you can see the guys flying their Revs in Oswego this spring in this video...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5228&hl=en

Also, Tom showing off some mad dualie skills!

IKE is on Image too!

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 09:50 PM

thanks guys

yes im up here with planes this week but will be available pm or email. :up: also watch new s planelanded in front of my hotel tonight on the highway :rotfl :rotfl boy what skill

happy flying
David

www.chicagokite.com
Last edited by chicagokite on Mon, Jul 23 2007, 08:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Jul 22 2007, 11:53 PM

The only other thing I could add, is hold off ordering anything till after the picnic, if you can make it. We would be willing to let you try the different ones out. That is of course depending on how nice Mother Nature is to us. That way you can test fly any and all the above mentioned. :wink: :wink:

The picnic is on the 12th of Aug. and will be at Perry Farms in Kankakee.

Hope to see you there.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Jul 23 2007, 05:52 AM

yes im up here with planes this week but will be available pms or email.

pms????? :rotfl :rotfl
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Mon, Jul 23 2007, 08:52 PM

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl gees half a sleep looks like my finger walked a little to much :rotfl :rotfl :up: :thanks:
pm

www.chicagokite.com

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Tue, Jul 24 2007, 04:51 AM

WOW! :thanks: Thank you all for so much information and the replies! It really does help narrow it down. Leaning towards the 1.5, but not sure which one yet. When I get some sleep, then I'll come back and reread all of this.

I can't make it to Perry on 8/12. It was the only weekend I could get a cabin in WI to conincide to go rafting with my daughter. My heart sank when I heard that was the only weekend that would work with my days off.

:lol: PMSing, cute Chris. Pass that stage, now in the F,F&F stage, you've been warned. :wink:

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Wed, Jul 25 2007, 02:45 PM

UGGHHHH, the decisions.

I think I have this narrowed down, but if I'm wrong, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I need 2 kites, light and heavier winds.

Kite 1: 1.5 SUL for light winds

Kite 2: 1.5 SLE vented with 1/4 inch frame set, Standard B with 4 wrap spars (Do I still order the 2 & 3 wrap with this?)

Thanks so much for everyones help.

Roxy

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jul 25 2007, 04:24 PM

Roxy wrote:UGGHHHH, the decisions.

I think I have this narrowed down, but if I'm wrong, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

I need 2 kites, light and heavier winds.

Kite 1: 1.5 SUL for light winds

Kite 2: 1.5 SLE vented with 1/4 inch frame set, Standard B with 4 wrap spars (Do I still order the 2 & 3 wrap with this?)

Thanks so much for everyones help.

Roxy

Right on with the SUL. You will get a 2 wrap frameset with it.

Also right on with the B-Series Vented. With the vented, you will get 2 - 1/4" framesets.. a 3 & 4 wrap as part of the package

With that combination, you can drop the 2 wrap set from your SUL into the vented to get down even further on the wind speed.

A hint on ordering.... spec out what you want. Don't settle for in stock if there is a color combination you really want on the SUL. Remember, you have to look at it all the time... make yourself happy.

On the vented, think bright.... I have the Blue/Black B-Series and while I like it, it is pretty dark in the sky. The Gold (mango?) or lime look great and there are some other colors available. I've seen pink, purple and Red also.

A final hint...

If you are buying these at the same time, do this..

get the SUL as 'kite only'. You will save almost $60 this way. You will get a set of handles with the b-series vented as part of the package that will be fine for everything you fly. Plus, you cannot get the B-Series as kite only yet.

Also, on lines... we use 75' x 90# on the short side and 120' x 90# for team flying. Of course, there is everything else in between. Many people are very comfortable with 85' x 90#... You will need to order these with the kite.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jul 25 2007, 04:56 PM

you got it, this is all you need.

An SUL, kite only
A Vented B-Series
90# x75 feet line (or 90# x 85 feet)

I'm very flexible about colors myself and usually take what's in stock. And I like the blue-black B-series kite. Though Red/Black/White are the club colors and the way my kites are tending to go now.
Eventually, next year, you'll want 120' lines. Right now, you can borrow a set from me whenever you want to fly with a group of us.

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Wed, Jul 25 2007, 08:47 PM

hi guys

We do have a sul in club colors in stock :revspin: :up:

thanks
www.chicagokite.com

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Jul 25 2007, 08:56 PM

chicagokite wrote:hi guys

We do have a sul in club colors in stock :revspin: :up:

thanks
www.chicagokite.com

I just got one... 8)

IKE is on Image too!

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Wed, Jul 25 2007, 09:18 PM

I'm jealous Jeff, it's beautiful.

I think I finally have my order together, just pricing it out. Is 13" handles the better way to go? I'm 5'9, not petite. I should get around to posting a picture of me on here.

Getting the 1.5 SUL, 1.5 SLE bressler (spelling?) vented B with # 3 & 4 wraps.

I just hope I get it off the ground.
:roll:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jul 25 2007, 09:46 PM

Roxy wrote:I'm jealous Jeff, it's beautiful.

I think I finally have my order together, just pricing it out. Is 13" handles the better way to go? I'm 5'9, not petite. I should get around to posting a picture of me on here.

Getting the 1.5 SUL, 1.5 SLE bressler (spelling?) vented B with # 3 & 4 wraps.

I just hope I get it off the ground.
:roll:

The handles on the Barresi are 13's I believe. Regardless, they are superb for flying all the 1.5's and have a knot system built in that makes it easy to adjust to your liking.

Feel free to beat David into submission and make him give you a good price for the complete package. :up:

With the help of this group, you should have no problem getting it off the ground. Let us all know when you get them and let us know where you are going to fly. If any of us can make it there, we will and will be glad to show off... I mean help you out... :rotfl

Let's just hope that when your kites arrive, there is a good stretch of windy days... My experience has always been 'new kite syndrome' which means none for days on ends...

This sport is like crack... once it gets into your system, you are hooked and withdrawals are just horrible...lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jul 26 2007, 06:22 AM

Like what Babbman said.
With Revs, the handle size isn't related to the flier's size. It's more related to the size of the kite and personal preference. The handles that come in the B-Series package are the way to go.

Return to “Quad Line Kites”