National Police Week - Fallen Officers

Cool links from the internet
Babbman

National Police Week - Fallen Officers

Postby Babbman » Tue, May 15 2007, 04:42 PM

So yesterday, I sit down at the table to eat and read the local news paper. When I opened it to the front page, I almost fell off of my chair...

Front page center above the fold, is a picture of my father.

Let me explain... In 1982, my dad died of a heart attack after struggling with an idiot who didn't want to go to jail for not paying his child support. Dad was running prisoner transportation to the court house at the time. After the struggle, my dad had a heart attack and even though he was only across the street from the hospital, there was nothing that could save him.

I didn't know until 2 months ago that he had been installed in the National Fallen Officers memorial and this is where they must have gotten the information for the article.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/beac ... S1.article

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Re: National Police Week - Fallen Officers

Postby Mike » Tue, May 15 2007, 06:41 PM

Chris,
I'm sorry you lost your Dad at a relatively young age.
It is nice to see him get some posthumous recognition. Must have been a shock to see his photo in the paper after all this time.

Babbman

Re: National Police Week - Fallen Officers

Postby Babbman » Tue, May 15 2007, 08:15 PM

Thanks Mike... Shock was the lesser of the emotion... stunned would be a better word... I hadn't seen that picture in a long time and I had no idea they were running a story.. I was 19 at the time and never even saw this coming... came home from school after fighting all the way with my brother (we were both going to Devry in Chicago) and as soon as we got home, my grandmother came running out of the house saying we needed to go to the hospital because something happened to my Dad... we didn't know what and could only imagine a car accident or something because he was NEVER sick...

It was all a blur of activity but there was something that happened that literally shook me to the core.... even more than the fact that he had died...

Several months before this all happened, I had a dream where the house was full of people and emotion... I remember waking up from that dream thinking that someone had died and that's why the people where there... didn't think much about it at the time... just a little freaked out.

The next day, there were all kinds of people showing up at the house. I remember going from the den to my room and suddenly realized that this had happened before... it was the dream! Exactly the same in all respects... lighting, sounds, people, time of day... all of it exact... THAT completely freaked me out....

25 years has a way of taking the emotional edge off of things... it was a nice thing that they did...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Return to “Cool Links”