Le Petite Kainos

Links to individual plans and discussion of the plans for all kinds of kites.
Draftnik

Le Petite Kainos

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Feb 22 2007, 09:07 AM

Here's the details of the Le Kainos I made. Orginal build that inspired me was at http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4042&highlight=kainos Intructions for a roughly 8' Kainos is there. I used them, but mostly this is a by-guess and by-golly kite. :wink:

I used 1/4" x 4' wooden spars so use them to find a comfortable curve for the sail and cut 3 sails.

Edgebind the straight edges. (This is a deviation from the orginal plans to allow for spar pockets) I just used ripstop for edgebinding.

[albumimg]612[/albumimg]

Add Bridle Tabs to the back of the top sail on the curve.
[albumimg]613[/albumimg]

Edgebind the curves using Kiteguys Tutorial here.
http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4123

Make spar pockets (Another deviation)

Tip these points into the spar sleeve.
[albumimg]615[/albumimg]

Straight stitch across the end leaving a small area on the curve of the sail to insert the spar on one end of each sail. The other end can just be closed up.
[albumimg]616[/albumimg]

Spars will slide into the small hole and rest on the above sewed edge.
[albumimg]617[/albumimg]

I didn't get a pic of this but the sails are sewn together with a tight zig-zag. I laid two sails on top of each other and sewed right on the edge. This makes for a little ridge, but seems easier then trying to sew those curves together any other way. At the bottom point, add another bridle tab, on the front of the kite.

Add bridle tabs to the inside of the sails to make the inner triangle. The top of this triagle is also the attachement point for a 4th bridle line not shown in this pic.

[albumimg]562[/albumimg]

I flew as well as some of my store bought kites! But would zoom left or right when the wind gusted. Tough 20mph winds that day. My spars might not be tight enough, and that's why that top sail is collapsing so much in this pic. Or maybe the bridles need more adjusting.
[albumimg]618[/albumimg]

That's the short and sweet of it. I'll follow up on getting these bridles adjusted once I've learned a little more about them.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Draftnik

Re: Le Petite Kainos

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Feb 22 2007, 10:52 AM

Cripes, I think kiteguy is right. After rereading through the build thread on kitebuilder, the kite there has bridle attachements on the top of the top sail. There is some discussion about them running down the back to the spar but it seems a discarded idea. :roll: Wish I'd have caught on to that sooner!

I may fiddle with these as is for a bit. The way they are now is interesting.
TTFN,

Draftnik

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Thu, Feb 22 2007, 11:39 AM

Nice work Chris!

:SLKani:

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Feb 22 2007, 11:52 AM

Are there light spars in the curved sections of this kite?

Jim
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Feb 22 2007, 12:02 PM

There are 3 spars on the kite and they go in the edgbinding/spar sleeves on the curved edges. There are no spars on the straight outside edges.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Return to “Plans”