Babbman - Pocket Sled

The result of our kite making adventures
Babbman

Babbman - Pocket Sled

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jan 20 2007, 09:41 AM

OK, I had to make a sled for Elie... especially after she saw Chris's....

I used plans from http://www.yvonhache.com/index-en.html in the plans section...

I let Elie pick her colors and crunch up the tail... the rest of it she was either asleep while I was doing it or playing in the Living room.... After I finished it, she grabbed it and started running through the house with it... then she came up to me and said that she was 'Thing I & Thing II'... I had to put it away so she wouldn't wreck it before we flew it...lol

Here's the build....

[albumimg]432[/albumimg]
The plans... I ended up making cardboard templates from these..

In all, this was simply a matter of cutting the panels and hemming them. I tried a straight stitch this time for all the hems and all of them are double folded with mitered corners... I used 1.5oz ripstop this time because that was all I had for the colors Elie wanted... I have to say that this stuff was MUCH easier to fold, miter and sew vs. .75 or lighter ripstop. My only complaint is that the pink is very stiff and when folding the hem across the grain, it tended to crack... I'll have to find something else to use it for in the future... the blue, on the other hand, was a dream to use... I'm going to make a quilted Rok with this stuff in my r/w/b colors...

[albumimg]443[/albumimg][albumimg]444[/albumimg]
Hems and bridle/tail connection points.

[albumimg]445[/albumimg]
Here's the completed sail

[albumimg]446[/albumimg][albumimg]447[/albumimg][albumimg]448[/albumimg]
Here's the tail... I took Chris's advice and cut a 2" strip and sewed a line down the center with a zigzag... I folded and cut the strips after sewing the line in various widths... nothing measured... when I was done, I gave it to Elie and told her to crunch it all up... this lasted all of 15 seconds... When she was done, viola, fuzzy tail! I just larks headed it to the pigtails I put on the sail.

[albumimg]449[/albumimg]
Elie with her new kite!

Thanks to Chris for the inspiration... In all, It took about 4 hrs from start to finish... I had to remake one of the pieces because I folded the hem in the wrong direction... I could have just left it but I am too anal for that. I just hope the pink material doesn't crack on us...

Will test fly it today if there is any wind!

I'm having trouble describing just how much fun this is... (and a bit of frustration, but that's ok...)

If this flies good, I'm going to make up a few to carry with me to our outings for any kids that show up....

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Re: Babbman - Pocket Sled

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Jan 20 2007, 04:19 PM

Nice job Babbmann, is it nice to do something simple after doing a project so time consuming, like the C/Ws?
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Return to “Completed Creations”