Babbman - Circoflex

The result of our kite making adventures
Babbman

Babbman - Circoflex

Postby Babbman » Sat, Dec 23 2006, 11:51 AM

Here's my new Circoflex.

It took longer to build than I thought but I think it tirned out pretty good. Chris met me out on the field and we launched it and it actually flew! No thanks to some really crummy winds....

[albumimg]281[/albumimg][albumimg]278[/albumimg]

Lots of thanks to Mike for answering all of my questions...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Draftnik

Re: Babbman - Circoflex

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Dec 23 2006, 12:48 PM

It looks great! Hope you have a big ol' kiter grin on your face.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Dec 23 2006, 01:13 PM

Here's a little video :up:

[googlevideo]2866394390947361310[/googlevideo]
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Dec 23 2006, 01:16 PM

...and a close up; welcome to the 100' kite club :welcome1:

It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Dec 23 2006, 03:09 PM

:up: It looks very cool, Babbman! Way to go! :up:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Dec 23 2006, 04:48 PM

That's beautiful! Very nice job, good looking pattern and colors.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 12:39 AM

Yes welcome to the 100ft club!! :up: :up: The Circoflex looks great.

The joys that are felt when you see that first fly of an item you made cannot be put into words!!!! :wink: :wink: :mrviolet: :mrblue:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 11:27 AM

[smiley smilie=5 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]Babbmann...[/smiley]
[smiley smilie=3 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]!!! CONGRATULATIONS !!![/smiley]

Your Circoflex looks...!BEATIFULL! [smiley smilie=7 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]Well Done.[/smiley]
I have never seen one up close. I Kind of know, your tremendous anxiety when you were ready to fly it for the first time...
and now, you have the great satisfaction to see you own creation in flight.
Awsomely 8)
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 02:26 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:[smiley smilie=5 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]Babbmann...[/smiley]
[smiley smilie=3 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]!!! CONGRATULATIONS !!![/smiley]

Your Circoflex looks...!BEATIFULL! [smiley smilie=7 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]Well Done.[/smiley]
I have never seen one up close. I Kind of know, your tremendous anxiety when you were ready to fly it for the first time...
and now, you have the great satisfaction to see you own creation in flight.
Awsomely 8)

Hector... Thank You!

There was a bit of anxiety, that's for sure... especially because I had Chris there with me and hadn't flown it yet and had NO idea if it would fly. If it would have flopped, then the whole club would know... :rotfl

I took it out again today... perfect wind, pink floyd in the head phones... a perfect end to the mornings festivities....

God I LOVE this sport

Just got to figure out what to build now... I have an extreme itch

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 03:44 PM

Babbman wrote:Just got to figure out what to build now... I have an extreme itch

I've been thinking about something that can be flown as a train. Each sewing club member could build one or many of each kite and then when we get together we fly them as a train.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 04:27 PM

Mike wrote:
Babbman wrote:Just got to figure out what to build now... I have an extreme itch

I've been thinking about something that can be flown as a train. Each sewing club member could build one or many of each kite and then when we get together we fly them as a train.

Chris mentioned a train kit on kitebuilder that would be pretty cool... the kites are simple in design and it probably wouldn't cost all that much if you already had all the ripstop you needed...

http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4407

otherwise, I NEED a project this week... let's pick something

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 06:57 PM

I saw that one too. I don't know how reliable a flier it is though.

Here's the material list to make 6 kites:

3 meters of .75 Ripstop [Six Pack = 2mtr. for main colour and tails plus 1mtr. for second colour].

Solid Fiberglass rods: [alternative 4mm dowling]

12 x 3mm at 60cm. = six 48" rods at $1.50 each
12 x 2mm at 60 cm = six 48" rods at $1.70 each

Dacron for reinforcing and pockets: 50 x 20 cm.

24 small 1/8" eyelets.
24 small 1/2" rings. [split rings or brass curtain rings].
24 rubber End Caps 2mm/.08"
24 rubber End Caps 3mm/.12"
60 meters Dacron Line 1mm or about 50 pound for bridles and tails.

Steve at Kitebuilder is selling a kit with all the materials for 6 kites for $80

10% off for AKA members

We can also save money buy placing a single bulk order. He has quantity discounts for some items but then he doesn't allow the AKA discount.
Can also save money buy using 3/16" wood dowels.

Should we try to do some sort of color coordinating?

Any other ideas for a train?

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 06:59 PM

otherwise Babbman, I think you should make a Rok. I know Ken is going to make one and we can do battles. Ken and mine are 5' tall which I read somewhere is the standard for individual battles. It's a good size because it doesn't pull to hard for one person to handle.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 09:11 PM

Mike wrote:otherwise Babbman, I think you should make a Rok. I know Ken is going to make one and we can do battles. Ken and mine are 5' tall which I read somewhere is the standard for individual battles. It's a good size because it doesn't pull to hard for one person to handle.

Mike,

I've been leaning towards a rok also. Do you have a plan that you follow and a parts list? I can get started on it tomorrow...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Dec 25 2006, 10:30 PM

see here.
I might be able to post more detailed plans tomorrow, but we have company coming for a few days, so probably not as detailed as I would like, but if you post questions I think it would work. Draftnik has also made a rok, although hers is huge.

I was wondering if we wanted somewhat matching roks. Something like the ones on this page.
But everyone appliquéing whatever they want in the center section.

If you want to do that, you can get started by cutting out the center rectangle and doing the applique on it.
The rectangle is 4' wide by 3' tall before hem and seam allowance. I add 1/4" for seams and 1/2" for hems, making the rectangle 49" wide and 36 1/2" tall.

We should probably continue this in the other thread....

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Dec 31 2006, 09:13 PM

Oh yeah... I made a bag for my circoflex out of hobby lobby canvas...

[albumimg]305[/albumimg]

It's about 22" in diameter and has a pocket inside.

I have sew on velcro to close it up, bias tape for the edge where it opens and made the handles out of some webbing I got for $.99/yard at hobby lobby.

Nothing all that fancy. I used my pfaff to sew it and quite honestly, it needs some work (both the sewing skills AND the machine)

I get a free sewing course for buying my Viking. I think I should use it..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 01 2007, 08:39 AM

You're a sewing maniac! That's a cool bag. I don't have a bag for mine, I should make one like yours.
The sewing looks fine to me. I think you have the skills to make any kite you want, just go for it!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jan 01 2007, 09:38 AM

Mike, if you decide to make the circoflex bag, make sure that it's a little bigger than mine. It's a bit of a struggle to get it in the bag at times... Mine is 22" across... 24" should be about right. Again, I just used some medium weight canvas which is similar in weight to one of my Rev bags.

I'm going to build a complimentary colored Circoflex in green and yellow to match my blue/white one. I want to try flying them in a train and since I've already done one, I figure the next one should be faster and easier to build. I'll make that bag 24" and redesign the flap a bit. I'll make up some plans and post them at some point.

One quick question. On your Rok plan, what program did you use to draw up your plans?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jan 01 2007, 11:01 AM

I have an old cad program called quickcad. I've learned to work around it's quirks and it works fine for me. It's not made anymore, but similar programs are probably out there.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jan 03 2007, 01:27 PM

I almost forgot to mention this...

On New Years eve day, I had to fly for some reason... it was rainy but windy...

I put my circoflex up and it was flying well so I hooked up a rev and started flying... after a while, I started thinking that the circoflex was getting further and further away from me... then I looked down and saw my 500 ft of line paying out very nicely all by itself.... then I realized that I only had about 100 ft left on the spool... took almost 1/2 hr to reel it all in as every time I pulled too hard, it would become unstable and dive for the ground...

of course, it started pouring right then and there and stopped raining when I finally had the kite close enough to grab...

Needless to say, I had a bathroom full of drying kites... watching Elie go potty framed by a circoflex and a Rev I was pretty funny, I must say...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “Completed Creations”