Rev Size

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Robbie

Rev Size

Postby Robbie » Sat, Nov 22 2014, 05:02 PM

Is a Rev 1.5 - 1 and 1/2 the size of a standard Rev. I'm trying to figure out the sizing on the kites. Thanks
Fly High and Fly Safe

basicbill

Re: Rev Size

Postby basicbill » Sat, Nov 22 2014, 05:26 PM

It is a bit confusing. At least to me. 1.5 is the current "standard" sized sail. EXP, SLE, B-Series, B-Pro are all "1.5" if I understand it correctly. Someone more knowledgeable than my newbie self will weigh in I'm sure. And will correct me if I'm wrong. I started out with an EXP from Big Mike. Comes with all the things you'll need except a grassy field. But there are other options, too.

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Nov 22 2014, 08:45 PM

Here's the challenge with the naming convention. The first rev (or Rev 1) came out about 1989. A few years later, they came out with a much smaller Rev, and they named that one the Rev 2. It's smaller and quicker than a Rev 1. Then . . . . they came out with a Rev that was smaller than a Rev 1 but bigger than a Rev 2, and they needed a name . . . . so it became the Rev 1.5, being halfway between the 1 and the 2. The Rev 1.5 was "just right" for most flying, and it is now flown by the most people. It is the "right" one to fly when you are starting out, and by far the most common for group flying.

Some time after that they started coming out with other kites like the speed series, and the kites started getting names instead of numbers. So after that, you start to hear Shockwave, Supersonic, Blast, Power Blast, Indoor Zen, New York Minute, etc. etc. Note - before anyone picks on me, that list is NOT in the order of release. Plus they added naming (like the B-Series and B-Series Pro) to the 1.5 when Barresi was endorsing the kites, and other "model" names for variants like the EXP and SLE versions.

There's a Rev History over here at this link if you are really interested.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Nov 22 2014, 09:02 PM

The size of your Rev doesn't matter; it's how you use it that counts.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Robbie

Postby Robbie » Sat, Nov 22 2014, 09:18 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Here's the challenge with the naming convention. The first rev (or Rev 1) came out about 1989. A few years later, they came out with a much smaller Rev, and they named that one the Rev 2. It's smaller and quicker than a Rev 1. Then . . . . they came out with a Rev that was smaller than a Rev 1 but bigger than a Rev 2, and they needed a name . . . . so it became the Rev 1.5, being halfway between the 1 and the 2. The Rev 1.5 was "just right" for most flying, and it is now flown by the most people. It is the "right" one to fly when you are starting out, and by far the most common for group flying.

Some time after that they started coming out with other kites like the speed series, and the kites started getting names instead of numbers. So after that, you start to hear Shockwave, Supersonic, Blast, Power Blast, Indoor Zen, New York Minute, etc. etc. Note - before anyone picks on me, that list is NOT in the order of release. Plus they added naming (like the B-Series and B-Series Pro) to the 1.5 when Barresi was endorsing the kites, and other "model" names for variants like the EXP and SLE versions.

There's a Rev History over here at this link if you are really interested.

Thanks for the help guy's I really appreciate it. Just starting out with the Rev's it's kind of confusing trying to figure them all out. The history of the Revs is a very interesting read Goes. That alone helped me a bunch. :up:
Fly High and Fly Safe

Robbie

Postby Robbie » Sat, Nov 22 2014, 09:20 PM

makatakam wrote:The size of your Rev doesn't matter; it's how you use it that counts.

You got that right 100% :thanks:
Fly High and Fly Safe

Return to “Quad Line Kites”