Team Flying Clinic?--xx Canceled xx

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Mike

Team Flying Clinic?--xx Canceled xx

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:24 AM

Would anyone be interested in practicing some team flying?
I could lead some of y'all in some practice. I'll drive up to Chicago, and I'm thinking the end of October or early November.

In order to fly team, you'll need to be able to hold your position in all orientations; be able to fly a figure 8; and turn 180º from facing left to facing right and vice versa; all without dropping too far out of the sky. We can cut some slack if you have trouble with the upside down hover, but team is more fun if you can do it.

Basic team maneuvers:
animations
PDF

cadguy

Re: Team Flying Clinic?

Postby cadguy » Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:34 AM

Ok

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:39 AM

Can I watch if I bring cookies?

Bill

Mytoyz

Postby Mytoyz » Mon, Sep 29 2014, 10:44 AM

now I have a goal
Blue skies and Steady Winds

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:39 AM

Was it that bad? Kidding. Absolutely would be interested, but I'd like to take the winter to practice the moves you linked to. Unless, that begins to interfere with festival flying next year.

Bill, we just have to jump in with both feet. I keep hearing the same thing from everyone. Maybe if we can practice together.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

basicbill

Postby basicbill » Mon, Sep 29 2014, 11:53 AM

TMadz wrote:Was it that bad? Kidding. Absolutely would be interested, but I'd like to take the winter to practice the moves you linked to. Unless, that begins to interfere with festival flying next year.

Bill, we just have to jump in with both feet. I keep hearing the same thing from everyone. Maybe if we can practice together.

Yeah, Todd, I'd like to practice with one or two in addition to my solo practice. I'm reasonably close to Mike's requirements.

Bill

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 29 2014, 08:48 PM

And . . . . you are both reasonably close to me . . . .

I know I've been relatively invisible lately (at least on the field). New job . . . blah blah blah . . . and the wife & kids & soccer & plays and . . . and . . . and . . .

But I'd be willing to meet up for a couple hours now and then (weekends are probably the only option due to work) to help you guys fly team. I can (probably) sell it to the wife as long as it's not an all day kind of thing . . . "it's my golf"

Plus I'd absolutely be up for a team flying clinic later in October / November. Maybe we even consider the Dunes again for the clinic day - better chance for good wind . . .

Other options for clinic locations:
- Busse Woods
- St. Charles East Sports Complex
- Montrose
- Kankakee

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Mon, Sep 29 2014, 08:59 PM

I'll come play!

And Bill, Mytoyz, TMadz -- come crash, it's how you learn! Big Mike, you should make sure Chris knows about it as well.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Mon, Sep 29 2014, 09:13 PM

Weekends it will have to be. Sun is going down faster every day now. We've tried to make a monthly club fly. Maybe a traveling one. The best way for me is if it's on the calendar and I can schedule around it. I missed montrose the last couple of times.

Shari

Postby Shari » Tue, Sep 30 2014, 08:04 AM

I would like to get more practice.
Everything seems so much better when the sky is filled with beautiful colors.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Wed, Oct 01 2014, 03:30 PM

Sounds great, but I need more practice in the "hold your position in all orientations" part. Plus, the coming weeks are going to be pretty busy for me, as we're preparing to relocate. Maybe if you do another one in the spring.
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Oct 02 2014, 08:05 PM

I would encourage all interested to take Mike up on his offer. Lynn and I have been flying as a pairs team as well as with Cass and Carol Pittman as a four team for several years. We all attended the team boot camp held a couple of years age by John Barresi. I think each of us came away learning something.

Make the time to learn Mike's requirements. You will not regret learning to fly Revs together with others.

Kite flying, no mater the kite, is a social thing, however, group flying with Revs is more fun than one should have without buying a ticket. :up:
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Thu, Oct 02 2014, 09:10 PM

AD and I are in

:thanks:
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Oct 03 2014, 10:28 AM

I live in the middle of nowhere ... literally. Mike is about 130 miles away, Big Mike is 80 miles away, and James Patten used to live 100 miles in the opposite direction. Thus, I fly Revs by myself most of the time.

About a month or so after buying my first Rev I went to a club fly ... only owned a full sail and the *&%%# winds were about 20 mph. Mike loaned me a full vent and I went off by myself to fly ... didn't figure I was good enough to fly with others. After awhile, Mike came over to join me ... then Ken ... then Big Mike ... they wouldn't leave me alone. Yep, found out I wasn't good enough for iQuad, but so what? I had a blast. The guys were patient and understanding of my inexperience ... hard to believe, but they all were at my level once ... or so they said. The biggest thing I learned, besides the fact that Rev fliers are missionary-like in their quest to get you hooked, is what I didn't know and couldn't do.

I fly RC planes. The Cuban-8 is a figure eight maneuver where the plane comes DOWN through the middle of the eight ... while coming down through the middle it has to roll upright ... scary maneuver to learn. There is a reverse Cuban-8 where the plane comes up in the middle of the eight and rolls right side up. But, that's not so scary ... really a maneuver for babies. So, with that knowledge in mind, I practiced going down through the center of the figure eight with my Rev for the first month. Yep, you already know that Rev fliers go up the center of a figure eight ... the strong part of the wind window. It makes sense, but that's not what I practiced. In the lower right hand corner of the figure eight maneuver with a Rev, you have to do a shuffle with the handles. My brain couldn't make the shuffle in that location ... I kept flying into the ground. So, I went home to practice the correct figure eight until the next club fly. At the next club fly I flew the figure eight well ... but, I found out the *&%$ lower point of the diamond was my new brain/hand disconnect that needed practice. That pattern continues still.

Without the club fly opportunities, I would not have known what I didn't know!!! So, take Mike (or anyone else who offers) up on group flying ... you will learn to fly in a group much faster by flying in a group.

Cheers,
Tom

Trigger

Postby Trigger » Sat, Oct 04 2014, 11:13 PM

I'm a definite probably! So far the calendar is clear. Guess it just depends where it is. I love the team stuff, just need to lower my shoulders and breathe :)

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Sun, Oct 05 2014, 07:48 AM

I am not gonna make it today. The weather yesterday screwed up all my plans. Too much house stuff to work on today.

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Mon, Oct 06 2014, 06:01 AM

Do we have a particular date in mind?

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Oct 06 2014, 06:50 AM

Early November is probably better for me

swannie

Postby swannie » Sun, Oct 12 2014, 09:11 AM

I'd love to! My weekend availability is limited right now, but if the date works out I'll go.

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Mon, Oct 13 2014, 07:16 PM

How do people feel about November 15th or 16th?

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”