Making a Rev

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Origami78

Making a Rev

Postby Origami78 » Tue, Sep 17 2013, 10:10 PM

I'm thinking of sewing/making a rev.
http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/freedom/freedom_2.html
http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/revosfaura/mirevo2.html
Has anyone made either of these? Are either good for beginners?
If not is there one that would be better?
Thank you for your time!

Mike

Re: Making a Rev

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 18 2013, 06:18 AM

A rev is the easiest sport kite to make since it has a flat sail. I wouldn't make the freedom kite, the mirevo2 would be fine but it's a little small. Small kites are harder to fly for a beginner. If you like those plans, use his mirevo1.5 plans instead.

Anything approximating the Rev shape will fly ok. The venting (usually fiberglass window screen) along the leading edge is important.

If you haven't flown a Rev, I would recommend getting some time on one first, then sewing your own. They fly very differently than a parawing.

Origami78

Postby Origami78 » Wed, Sep 18 2013, 08:37 AM

will the 1.5 be easier to fly then the 1? Would 82ft lines be ok to start with?
Would there be anyone in or near McLean county that would be willing to let me fly their rev kite? I am willing to share my parafoils.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Sep 18 2013, 09:02 AM

If you have any chance of making it to the Indiana Dunes State Park this weekend for the IKE Retreat, there will be several rev fliers (myself included) who will let you try out their kites. Perhaps we'll have another "southerly" club fly before winter closer to you, but there's nothing scheduled yet.

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Sep 18 2013, 07:22 PM

Origami78 wrote:will the 1.5 be easier to fly then the 1? Would 82ft lines be ok to start with?
Would there be anyone in or near McLean county that would be willing to let me fly their rev kite? I am willing to share my parafoils.

The 1.5 isn't easier to fly than the 1, but it is wayyyy more popular. The 1 is slower and feels more like a truck sometimes.
82 ft lines are fine, just make sure they are made from Spectra so they have very little stretch. Laser Pro is a good brand, Shanti is ok too.
I'm in Coles county, but willing to drive to Champaign.

Origami78

Postby Origami78 » Wed, Sep 18 2013, 08:20 PM

All the lines I have are pre-stretched spectra. The line sets I have are 200kg top with 130kg bottom 25m and just got a set of 270kg top and bottom 27m the 270kg set is waterproof.
If I do either the 1 or 1.5 would it be ok to scale up or down a little depending on what rods I get to make the frame?
Thank you everyone for the input.
Champaign would not be a problem maybe we can work out a time and place we could meet.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Sep 18 2013, 08:26 PM

I think scaling up or down is not a problem, but the reason Mike brings up the 1.5 is because if you plan to fly with other people, that's the most common size, and to fly in a group you need to have the same flight characteristics.

Those line sets sound great for a parawing, but might be a bit heavy-duty for a rev-size kite. I usually fly 90lb weight line on my 1.5 kites. I only fly 150lb on the larger Shockwave & Blast kites.

Return to “Quad Line Kites”