1,800# Line Being Cut

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
TheBigKiteGuy

1,800# Line Being Cut

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Dec 05 2006, 12:23 AM

It annoys me when you hear an event announcer telling the kids leaving the kite making booth to go fly by the giant kites. 1,800 # spectron 12 gets cut by that cheap stuff from the kids kites just as easily as that light 100 or 200 spectra. It also boggles my mid that people who tangle with a
big kite in a roped off field demand that get their kite down immediately. Recently, I have suggested that they walk the big kite down while I watch. Strangely, they seem less eager when they have to work.

awindofchange

Re: 1,800# Line Being Cut

Postby awindofchange » Tue, Dec 05 2006, 12:28 PM

Kevlar anyone? :twisted:
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Dec 05 2006, 01:15 PM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:It also boggles my mid that people who tangle with a
big kite in a roped off field demand that get their kite down immediately.

People in general (except all of us...lol) seem to have lost any concept of common sense.

Wouldn't it be safer for the festival planners to put a flying area for the kids kites away from the really expensive and large kites?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Dec 05 2006, 08:04 PM

Sorry to say Babbman, but the more fest you go to the more you will sadly see just how BLIND nonkiters can be. :cry:

Remember when we were out in Nappervillie(sp), and that women with the 2 girls came up and grabbed the kite handles to, I think it was your quad? I have been out in Wi. at Veterans Park with a coned off area. Where there was a demo going on, any a couple of people just started to STROLL right on through. :shock: Most of the time you cannot blame the kids as much as the parents are to be blamed. :evil: :evil:

Some time the problem arises when ol' Ma Nature doesnt work us on the day of the fest. Thats when you have the problem of the little ones running around trying to get their kites up in the air. Thats just one of the many way lines end up getting cut. :x :cry:

Sad truth is it will not matter what or how you try to keep spectators out of the Demo/Large Kite/ or our favorite spot the Stunt area, they will come. It is a BLESSING as well as a CURSE!!! :roll: :roll:

:soapbox and now I will step down.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 05 2006, 08:21 PM

Actually, it was my quad stack. One girl grabbed one handle, another grabbed the other handle, and mom yelled "Run, run, run!" to her girls. They were dragging the whole stack across the ground.

You have to remember that folks just haven't seen sport kites before and don't realize that walking under the lines can be dangerous. Or that we have lines on the ground.
Most of the time it doesn't bother me at all, and I explain the deal. After explaining a few times to the same person I get a bit grumpy.

The best for me was at Kites for Kids at the Science Museum in Chicago. David assigned a guard just for me and my area. The guy was great, he took it seriously and kept everyone out of the area the whole time. Well almost. We both went for lunch at the same time and when we got back the field was filled with people--who can blame them, the festival was crowded with kids and they were looking for space. The guard started running around shooing people and then I got my stack up in the air and started zooming around doing low passes and dive stops over the crowd. It cleared the area real quick! :-D

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Dec 05 2006, 08:32 PM

I stand corrected. :oopsp: :sorry: :-D
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Dec 05 2006, 08:37 PM

The worst case I have had was a parent and child at Kites on Ice entering a roped off area and the parent having the child wrap a tentacle around her neck as a photo op. The mother was incensed that the three people running at her child screaming at her to get the tentacle off of her neck had scared her child. We got the tentacle from around her neck and about sixty seconds later the kite which had been hovering just above the ground, powered up and roared into the sky. If the tentacle had still been around the child's neck, it probably would have snapped her neck. The mother looked at the kite and stomped off without a word.

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Dec 05 2006, 08:40 PM

:shock: I don't know why I'm still suprised at the lack of common sense some people have :(
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Dec 06 2006, 01:05 PM

Safety was a priority in DeKalb. We had 2 incidents that I know of that raised a few eyebrows. One was caused by the non kiters, and one by a seemingly experineced kiter. No one here, of course, and nothing that got serious. Both times someone pointed it out to us there was a danger potential, and someone took care of it.

As a new kite fest coordinator I'm open to suggestions on how to avoid the mishaps. Attendees don't understand kiting. Not all kiters understand all the saftey considerations of a festival, either. The responsibility falls to the organizers to keep the kites and everyone safe. There's a learning curve to it, it's not as easy as it may appear.

Experience is a good teacher and lacking that, experienced input and suggestions are greatly welcomed
TTFN,
Draftnik

Return to “General Discussion”