Kites in a Church Service

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
CraigParsons33

Kites in a Church Service

Postby CraigParsons33 » Mon, Jan 28 2013, 09:37 PM

Just watched a video of Spencer Watson and it gave me an idea for doing a kite presentation in a church service. It's a very high ceiling and the room seats about 700 people. I'm thinking for Pentecost a kite presentation would be wonderful. Anyone in or near Naperville, Illinois that would be willing to tackle that? Is it even possible to safely fly a kite over people's heads indoors? Thanks!

goestoeleven

Re: Kites in a Church Service

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Jan 28 2013, 10:01 PM

It's possible, but you need some room at "ground level" to fly indoors. Most indoor flying is done in a gym or other large open space, like on a stage. You need room to walk around as the "wind" is generated by the flyer's motion - walking backwards around the space. Height is usually not an issue as the lines used for flying indoors are less than 20 feet long - sometimes as short as 10-12 feet.

I'm not sure how many kite flyers we have near Naperville who fly indoors, but maybe someone will post a reply.

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Mon, Jan 28 2013, 11:11 PM

Red kites, banners or streamers on poles could be wonderful to simulate the tongues of fire that appeared above believers' heads in the Biblical account of Pentecost, the event often thought of as the "birthday" of the Christian Church.

At one church I was a member of, a pastor had his own telescoping "banner pole" (I think it was actually a fishing pole and it was pretty long) to which he tied a long, red streamer (think, "kite tail"). During the processional, he'd wave the pole around to make the streamer fly above the heads of the congregation. it was pretty remarkable.

I think something similar could be done, especially with an ultra-light single-line kite. You could pull the kite around on a string but you might be better off tying the flying line to some kind of pole. Depending on the space, stunt kites (dual or quad line) could be more challenging, as 11 points out.

As an aside, Pentecost in the Western church (vs. the Eastern Orthodox church, which uses a different calendar) this year is May 19, the Sunday of Great Lakes Kite Festival. The first year we attended GLKF (2010, IIRC), that also happened. We worshiped at the Presbyterian Church in Grand Haven before going to the festival. It was a really nice service with lots of speaking in different languages, etc. Unfortunately, after worship, traffic from downtown to the beach was horrible! This year, I think we'll probably celebrate Pentecost on the beach by wearing red shirts and maybe, if there's room, flying a red kite.

Grace and peace,

J
I decided I needed a signature line, so I wrote this.

TMadz

Postby TMadz » Tue, Jan 29 2013, 08:07 AM

I think you're best best is to use a telescoping pole with streamers or pennants. Maybe you can get away with an ultralight kite or glider on a pole. Some newer modern churches have lots of room in front of the pews between the altar, but most traditional churches won't. Still, the space is limited and you would be hard pressed to do it without the chance of bumping someone or something.

For safety's sake, most spars and leading edges of kites are made of fiberglass or carbon fiber. While lightweight, they can most definitely cause damage especially if you fear getting poked in the eye. There was a recent story out of Australia about someone walking on the beach and being put in intensive care when there was an unfortunate run in with a kite. People think kites are only light and floaty, but when they get going you have a multipointed flying hazard on the end of LONG, STRONG strings.
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Tue, Jan 29 2013, 03:17 PM

TMadz wrote:I think your best best is to use a telescoping pole with streamers or pennants. Maybe you can get away with an ultralight kite or glider on a pole.

I agree. If you're going to fly anything that has any kind of spar over the heads of worshipers, at least keep the flying line short enough so that when the kite hangs on the stationary, vertical pole, it's still above their heads. Then, during the "flight," keep the pole as vertical as possible to reduce the chance of the kite hitting anyone.

OTOH, if your worship space has room to cordon off a place for indoor stunt kite flying (e.g. so the that the kite is always away from people, as is the case in indoor competitions/exhibitions), you could try a dual-line or Rev. on short, indoor lines. But you'd need to keep the kite in the cordoned-off area. And as TM said, there probably aren't many churches with that kind of room in their worship spaces.

CraigParsons33

Postby CraigParsons33 » Mon, Feb 04 2013, 12:29 PM

Wow! What great responses! Thanks for all the advice and information--lots to consider. I'll keep you posted. Thank you again!

KiteVoice

Postby KiteVoice » Thu, May 16 2013, 07:38 AM

Got an email from our pastor reminding us that this Sunday is Pentecost. For those of you fellow believers who will be at Grand Haven and/or other events, it would be a great day to wear a red shirt and/or red hat and fly a red kite!

Return to “Club Discussion”