Uneven lines

It's not just string any more. Talk about lines and line sets and anything else associated with them.
illescasd

Uneven lines

Postby illescasd » Mon, May 28 2012, 10:00 PM

Hey everyone,

I went out for a flirtation with the "dark side" today. Whatever I did, I kept pulling to the right & spinning ,,, big time. This hadn't happened before. I looked at my one of my lines & it was easily 4" longer than the others. I have no idea why or how this happened. I didn't think a line could stretch that far. Or can it?

Can I fix this? Or should I get a new line set?

While I"m on this topic, why is that almost all winders are black? If you lose them in the grass, forget it, they're in the grass. I'm spraying painting mine construction orange.

Comments & thanks,
:piratecap:
David
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

Jynx

Re: Uneven lines

Postby Jynx » Mon, May 28 2012, 10:42 PM

4"....???? :shock: I doubt they stretched that much... No idea on that one????

As far as the winders, they come in many different colors. I bought a reel of bright-neon-orange bungee elastic for my winders and if dropped they are easily found (after I did what you've done, and lost one or two). I also replace the old (short) black bungee with twice, or so, the original length which make wrapping the lines, along with the handles (if preferred) much nicer! :up:

I have PLENTY of that neon-orange elastic if you (or anyone else) want/s me to send some just PM me your name/address!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 29 2012, 06:05 AM

I've seen a 4" stretch, in fact its common, but it's always both top lines compared to the bottoms. The solution in the usual case is to swap the top and bottom lines for a an outing or two and they even up.
I don't know how just one line could stretch though....

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 29 2012, 06:58 AM

Maybe it was the centripetal force of the spin. Just kidding of course - I also have no idea how you could stretch just one line.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, May 29 2012, 07:32 AM

Since spectra is a plastic, what you're seeing is really "creep" ... but, stretch will do for discussion purposes. Brand new line will stretch, and take a permanent set, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2%. That's over two feet of permanent deformation, for a 120 ft line set ... or four feet for Jynx's 200 ft line set!!! The amount of creep is dependent upon the amount of load, duration of load, and application of load.

If the line sets were poorly made - no initial stretching before cutting, sleeving and tying off - then you'll be fighting the 2% factor for quite awhile. If they were well made - the raw line was stretched before the line set was made - then you'll still have some break-in creep that will occur as the line set is used. It's always best to rotate your lines. Keep them in pairs ... top pair and bottom pair - but, rotate them side-to-side and top-to-bottom. The side-to-side rotation will happen naturally if you haven't marked them and set them up like power kite fliers do. The side-to-side rotation is necessary because you tend to favor your dominate arm when flying and load up that line set more than the other, thus causing more stretch on one side versus the other.

Rotate the top and bottom lines every other time you fly in the beginning, and then, every so often after that ... especially after flying in strong winds. The top lines get considerably more load than the bottom pair. Thus, after flying a new line set in heavy winds, it's not uncommon to see a 3~4 inch stretch in the top set. Don't re-tie them, simply rotate them top to bottom. Any difference in the length of the top-to-bottom pair can be adjusted out at the handles.

Cheers,
Tom

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 29 2012, 09:09 AM

Now that is a thoroughly thought out reply, unlike mine. However it still seems odd that he would get that stretch on just one side right out of the gate yesterday (although it was very windy).

I agree with Jeepster on swapping lines top to bottom but I don't swap them religiously. I prefer to think of the stretch as built in brake. . . . ;)

illescasd

Postby illescasd » Tue, May 29 2012, 08:18 PM

Actually all of this makes sense. B/c the wind was gusty & strong, I felt the 1 line stretch/creep & didn't realize it until I laid out the lines. I will start rotating sets. Meanwhile, I'll figure out a way to make this particular set work.

Thank you,
:piratecap:
David
"Don't bend the spoon, bend the space around it,,,"

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, May 30 2012, 11:38 AM

You could try attaching the other top line to a fence post and pulling it to stretch it to match the already stretched line. It will creep eventually, this may speed up the process. Be careful not to pull too hard--it is possible to break the line by pulling (don't ask how I know).
It's most important that the two top lines match each other, and the two bottoms line match each other. It's nice to have the pair of top lines match the bottom pair, but they don't have to be exact since you can make up for it with the knots on your handles.

Return to “Lines”