Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/12-9/18?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
goestoeleven

Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/12-9/18?

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Sep 12 2011, 08:22 PM

Well, my thread titles are getting repetitive, but if it keeps people posting . . . Have a great week of flying!

I don't think there are any festivals coming up this week, so you have two weeks to practice for Quad Cities.

backdraft

Re: Who is flying what, where and when this week 9/12-9/18?

Postby backdraft » Tue, Sep 13 2011, 11:20 AM

Mikey, Nick, Zack and I went out last night and did some team practice from 4:45pm till 7:30pm. I got there at 4:00pm and practice for an hour or so all in reverse no forward flight. It is amazing how much better you can fly in reverse by moving forward and backward to load and unload the sail. After flying in reverse for an hour it makes flying forward seem a lot easier and my control was much sharper.

Big Mike

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Tue, Sep 13 2011, 03:34 PM

Flew with Paul LeMasters on Monday afternoon at Buckingham fountain in Chicago from 3:30 to 5:30, then we moved to Northerly island for another hour or so of flying. He is truly a "yank and spank" artist, and we had a ton of fun messing with the tourists and locals. He flew with French bridle and sticks and I got to try the set-up a few times. It's a little weird at first, but once you get the feel for it, you begin to appreciate the difference. This set-up is a definite bonus for urban/street flying. I tried to fly at the fountain, but one of my modded bungees let go on the first tug (figures, don't it?)

We flew full vents on a very steady west wind at Northerly island. I picked his brain for all the info I could at both locations, and afterwards during dinner at Pizzeria Uno. :thanks: , Paul.

I wish a couple or three other members could have joined us. He puts on quite show! A true (le) master.
Last edited by makatakam on Wed, Sep 14 2011, 12:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Elix

Postby Elix » Tue, Sep 13 2011, 08:32 PM

Went up on the roof where I work again, probably for the last time. There was a solid 15mph breeze in the area, but on the roof it was all swirls, thermals and bumps, even 80 feet up at the top of the wind window. The building isn't small by any means. There's room for dozens of revs. Attaching a picture for fun. You can see a partially filled parking lot in the north, and various semi trailers on the east edge and in the southeast corner to get an idea of scale.
roof.jpg
roof.jpg (140.01 KiB) Viewed 2442 times

First time I flew at the box on the right, with wind coming from due south. Second time was the box on the left with wind from WSW.

I guess after plowing into the side of the building and spilling over the top, the wind's just in a bad mood. I was in the air, but I wasn't enjoying it as much as I would have in a field. I did get to show the kite in action to a few co-workers, which was nice. But from now on I'm gonna find a clear patch of grass somewhere..
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 13 2011, 09:08 PM

Glad to report that I flew over at Busse for an hour and a half or so tonight. 1.5 SUL on 50lb 120s in very light winds. I was happy to just keep the kite in the air. Mark showed up with his light wind quads, but by the time he got set up the wind was mostly gone. We still had a good time & I got to hear about flying with Paul L. and see some of his latest rev modifications in person.

Roof flying! Elix, the efforts you go to for clear air!

Big Mike - I'm going to have to try your "movement" technique on my reverse flying. My backwards flight gets frustrating pretty quickly, so I usually switch back to forward flight after a couple (bad-looking) figure eights. Lately I've been trying to get reverse tip turns and ladders figured out, but they still look like crap. Your suggestion would probably help.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Sep 13 2011, 09:53 PM

Too bad flying on the roof didn't work out, it would have made a fun video. Of course we'd have to rent a helicopter to film it properly...

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, Sep 13 2011, 10:45 PM

Hey y'all . . . thinking ahead . . . who is up for some flying this coming Sunday? I'll be trying to get in some handle time, assuming the weather and wind (and chores) permit. Of course, I haven't asked the wife yet, so I might be vetoed . . . but right now as I sit here I'm going to assume I'll get permission for at least an afternoon. Saturday is probably out as my wife is working and David has a soccer game at 1:15 pm, and then I have to drive my daughter to a lesson at 4 pm (although I might fly for an hour or so while she's at her lesson).

I'm somewhat flexible on location. Champaign is probably too far (sorry Mike), but I could go south to Greene Valley (or maybe as far as Limestone), east to Northerly, or north to Busse (or other north options?? Jeff). Post up if you're interested.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Wed, Sep 14 2011, 12:08 PM

Mike wrote:Too bad flying on the roof didn't work out, it would have made a fun video. Of course we'd have to rent a helicopter to film it properly...

A rev on 250's with a KAPcam would work and consume no fuel.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed, Sep 14 2011, 02:03 PM

Mike wrote:Too bad flying on the roof didn't work out, it would have made a fun video. Of course we'd have to rent a helicopter to film it properly...

Funny you should mention that...the security department was watching me via the parking lot surveillance cams. They're mounted on pretty tall light posts. :jester:
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Sep 15 2011, 10:53 PM

goestoeleven wrote:Hey y'all . . . thinking ahead . . . who is up for some flying this coming Sunday?

I think we need a crickets emoticon . . . . . :-|

Well, I'll probably get out and fly for a bit even if it's just a local park or maybe that field in Lisle that's on the Ike Club map. My daughter's birthday is Monday, so I'll need to stay fairly local to get back for her birthday dinner Sunday evening.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Sep 16 2011, 01:52 AM

goestoeleven wrote:
goestoeleven wrote:Hey y'all . . . thinking ahead . . . who is up for some flying this coming Sunday?

I think we need a crickets emoticon . . . . . :-|

Well, I'll probably get out and fly for a bit even if it's just a local park or maybe that field in Lisle that's on the Ike Club map. My daughter's birthday is Monday, so I'll need to stay fairly local to get back for her birthday dinner Sunday evening.

Have you fown there before? I can join you. Let us know when you intend to fly.
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Sep 16 2011, 02:50 PM

makatakam wrote: Have you fown there before? I can join you. Let us know when you intend to fly.

Time is somewhat flexible. I figured I'd see if anyone replied before I fixed a time, since other people have schedules too. I'll have a chat with my wife/daughter about plans for the birthday dinner. I may also need to be downtown at some point on Sunday for work, but that's TBD at this point (I'll probably know by about 9 pm tonight). Maybe I'll do something like go downtown Sunday morning for a few hours, get my work done, then fly at Northerly for a few hours (like 1:30 - 4:30), then come home for dinner. Or flip/flop - fly in the morning, then go do my work, then go home. If I don't have to go downtown, I'll probably go to Lisle or Greene Valley for a few hours in the afternoon. Greene Valley has some appeal because I think it closes after October 1st, and it will be off limits until next May. I know it's not a perfect spot because of the fence, but the last time I was up there they had mowed the entire hill - so it might be possible to fly outside the fence or on the other hilltop.

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Sat, Sep 17 2011, 07:37 PM

Flew today at Busse Woods, full-vent Phantom, 1.5 sle and my avatar. Anyone flying tommorrow? (Sunday).
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sat, Sep 17 2011, 10:33 PM

Flew SUL and full sail 1.5 today near Wayne late afternoon. My son flew with me part of the time as well, so that's good. Light & variable winds where I was standing, but good time nonetheless.

I'm planning on flying tomorrow. I will look at the weather in the morning and decide on morning or afternoon. I plan on flying a few hours, location TBD (maybe downtown if I meet a coworker there sometime during the day). Western suburbs if we collaborate over the web.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Sun, Sep 18 2011, 09:46 AM

Showers on the radar . . . . looking less likely to fly today. Mark - If I head out later, I'll call your cell phone.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”