Kite Bags/How to carry ?

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Captain

Kite Bags/How to carry ?

Postby Captain » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 09:14 AM

With my growing collection of kites and accesories...I think it's time to get something nice to carry them around and store them well at home. I want just one bag that can carry them all...I was thinking of buying a golf bag or some other type of little rigid tall bag to carry stuff.

Any ideas ?

ps; if I can carry some frisbee's or other fun stuff in it, even better.

Thanks for your help

Elix

Re: Kite Bags/How to carry ?

Postby Elix » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 09:15 AM

I use the trunk of my car. =)
It's quite rigid and can carry many frisbees! Plus I'm ready to fly anywhere I go. :up:
Chris

Captain

Postby Captain » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 09:41 AM

Elix wrote:I use the trunk of my car. =)
It's quite rigid and can carry many frisbees! Plus I'm ready to fly anywhere I go. :up:

Lol..how do you carry them to the field/beach ?

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 09:43 AM

I have a couple bags. I have a Prism Zepher hard case that will hole two revs, 4-5 linesets, and some odds and ends. Then I also have a large roll-up bag that will hold alot of kites and spars and everything else. I also have a messenger bag that I use for lines and handles. Revolution makes a nice roll-up bag. Problem is none of them will do double duty as a Frisbee holder. There are alot of options if you do some searching around.

Zepher bag: http://gwtw-kites.typepad.com/news/2011 ... prism.html
Rev bag: http://www.revkites.com/main/Rev_Bag

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 09:44 AM

I'm ready for a second bag. My first one is a 60" with shoulder strap and cinch straps at both ends made by premier. It holds all my early kites, but it's too short for duallies unless I break down the leading edge spars, and it has no pockets for lines or handles. I've seen the roll-up bags that some of the club members have their revs in and I'd like to get one of those because they'll hold about six kites and have pockets for accessories. Suggestions? :-?
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 09:48 AM

Darkspark wrote:I have a couple bags. I have a Prism Zepher hard case that will hole two revs, 4-5 linesets, and some odds and ends. Then I also have a large roll-up bag that will hold alot of kites and spars and everything else. I also have a messenger bag that I use for lines and handles. Revolution makes a nice roll-up bag. Problem is none of them will do double duty as a Frisbee holder. There are alot of options if you do some searching around.

Zepher bag: http://gwtw-kites.typepad.com/news/2011 ... prism.html
Rev bag: http://www.revkites.com/main/Rev_Bag

I saw the rev roll-up on-line. $150.00 --- OUCH!!! I'd rather have another rev and just throw it in my trunk. Goes everywhere I do, always ready to fly. :-? Still confused.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 11:26 AM

Give us a call and we can see what we can do for obtaining a kite bag of your liking.

http://thekitesite.net/

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 01:13 PM

I use a few different bags.
My goto bag is just a regular Rev kite sleeve with two kites in it, a standard and a vented with 2 & 3 wrap spars. On the outside pocket I have handles and two sets of lines, 75' and 120'. This is the bag I grab if I'm running out the door to a local park or getting on a plane-- it fits in the overhead compartment.

I also have a roll up bag that's sorted.
I have a long non-pocketed bag that'll hold a bunch of various quads/dual/slks.
I have a couple small luggage/sport type duffels that hold unsparred slks, line and stakes.
And finally , I have a huuuuge bag that will fit all the other bags (except the sport duffels).

Also have the team 180GO! Rev branded roll-up bags. The Rev roll up bags are great for sorting and keeping track of kites that get loaned out.

Hmm, actually, I also have a snowboard case that'll hold a bunch of kites for packing in the luggage compartment of an airplane too.
Too many bags? Too many kites?
Never!

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 01:14 PM

I have a Nike Lacrosse Quiver Duffle Bag which holds over 20 Revs plus all the handles, lines, stakes, etc., one could imagine owning. I love it! Perfect size for a one-place combined storage bag...Not cheap (listed at $85) I purchased it for about $60 on sale. I also made several bags which hold 8-10 Revs, plus accessories, which I use on the field (I can send you the instructions if you want to make one).
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 02:35 PM

Duh, I think I can sew. Send plans, please. :up:
MARK

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jul 22 2011, 09:55 PM

My main bag is a 48 inch kite bag that holds about 9-10 kites (11 or 12 revs REALLY stuffed), with handle pockets on the outside. It's not a rollup, but that's OK - I just stuff it full of kites and pull out the ones I want to fly that day. I like to carry a bunch of revs, handles and line sets out onto the field so that I can fly with my kids in any wind conditions. I'm not quite good enough yet to make do with two sails, two sets of spars, and two line sets (like Mike).

I like the idea of the lacrosse bag and the snowboard bag mentioned above. I looked at the snowboard bag option as I thought it would be good for travel. I may use a ski bag the next time I want to travel with a lot of kites. Plus . . . I think some airlines might not charge for ski or snowboard bags, but of course that's always subject to change.

I also have what may be the crappiest bag in IKE - a homemade blue tarp roll up bag that I made for grins to see what would happen if I sat down at a sewing machine after not touching one for about 25 years or more. I keep all the SLKs, some duallies and a couple rarely used Revs (i.e. speed series) in that bag. There's a plan for the bag on the interwebs here . . . if you are really so inclined. If I were to start over again, I'd either use some real fabric instead of the tarp. The tarp was really cheap though, and that way I did not care if the sewing was imperfect. However, after investing all the time to make the roll up bag . . . I think buying a bag is a better use of time. Then again, the tarp bag will hold a LOT of kites and it is long enough for 48" spars. Plus it's more or less waterproof if it starts to rain.

One more note - somewhere in the forum history, there's a thread with a custom Rev case that I think Backdraft made from a guitar case and foam. Pretty cool, if you are not looking to carry a lot of kites at once.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jul 23 2011, 09:10 AM

goestoeleven wrote:...
One more note - somewhere in the forum history, there's a thread with a custom Rev case that I think Backdraft made from a guitar case and foam. Pretty cool, if you are not looking to carry a lot of kites at once.

That was actually Jeff, and the post is here.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Sat, Jul 23 2011, 09:15 AM

Mike wrote:
goestoeleven wrote:...
... that I think Backdraft ...

That was actually Jeff ...

Don't worry, they're really twins separated at birth ... easy to confuse.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jul 23 2011, 09:36 AM

Jeepster wrote:Don't worry, they're really twins separated at birth ... easy to confuse.
Cheers,
Tom

I use the fact that Big Mike has a beard to help me keep them straight.

Return to “General Discussion”