Who is flying what & where this week? 2011-7/10-7/16

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Darkspark

Re: Who is flying what & where this week? 2011-7/10-7/16

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Jul 13 2011, 01:57 PM

Sounds fun. Would be a flashback to my days Following the Grateful Dead and Phish. Just add kites and people who are not under the influence. (Allegedly)! :revspin: :revspin: :fireworks: :fireworks:

Elix

Postby Elix » Wed, Jul 13 2011, 09:43 PM

Sparkaps? I am intrigued.
Chris

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Wed, Jul 13 2011, 10:03 PM

Guess I could have explained that a little further. They are replacement endcaps for a rev. I have been trying them out on the ends of the leading edge. The small bit sticking out is flint steel. When it gets dragged across concrete or asphalt it creates sparks. A fairly large amount on concrete. Figured they would be fun for street flying, and flying near a paved surface. They are bright enough to show up during the day, but really show up at dusk, night. Once I know they will not burn holes in the kite and that they hold together I will probably sell them.
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (62.16 KiB) Viewed 1872 times

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Wed, Jul 13 2011, 11:28 PM

Cool. We need to see some video!

I flew a bit of 1.5 full sail around lunch time today in light wind that lacked direction, and then again in the evening around sunset on a 1.5 SUL, with a bit more wind direction consistency . . . . but not much. My home field is not that great when the wind is out of the north and east - too many mature trees at that end of the field. It's pretty good when the wind is out of the southwest, which is pretty common around here. I'm going to have to start scoping additional options to find the right fields for different conditions.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 12:26 AM

Mikey ~ YOU'RE... SOMETHIN' ELSE! :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 09:57 AM

Met Mark at Busse Woods yesterday. :up:

A nice place to fly

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 10:00 AM

Darkspark wrote:Sounds fun. Would be a flashback to my days Following the Grateful Dead and Phish. Just add kites and people who are not under the influence. (Allegedly)! :revspin: :revspin: :fireworks: :fireworks:

Reminds me of what my brother once told me. "If you remember the sixties, then you weren't there"...

makatakam

Postby makatakam » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 10:04 AM

Hi guys. Flew Sunday at Busse Woods, blk/red 1.5 sle 3-wrap and some home-mades; Monday, same place, same, same. Tried flying Tuesday morning at Turner Park in Roselle. Wind was lame and I decided I need an ultralight/indoor rev for those x*##@&% days, so I went home and built one. Took almost seven hours; sail, frame, bridle and hardware -- all from scratch -- in the style of the red/wht checkered I flew at Greene Valley on Saturday. Met Tim O'Leary at Busse Woods on Wednesday morning. I got there about 10 minutes before him, set up my brand-new all-white ul; flew it for about 1/2 minute and broke a bungee-to-sail connection, :mad: :censored: :( :censored: , oh well, :( :( :( . Flew blk/red 1.5 sle 3-wrp with Tim once he arrived and got his blk/lim/blu 1.5 sle 3-wrp set up. He's new to revs, but picks up on it quickly. I'm probably not the best instructor, but I tried to walk him thru the basics of up/down, left/right, etc. Winds were weird, from 0 gusting to about 15. Brought out the full-vent Phantom and flew that a bit. Tim tried it also.

Going back this afternoon (Thursday) after making repairs last night, and Tim will probably join me. Anyone else who can is welcome. Hey Jeff, how about some handle time after work! I need more time and practice with crossed lines,

Practiced bicycle turns all week and pretty much got it, inverted hover is still shaky but getting better. Much easier with the full-vent.

Is anyone interested in a quick fly this Sunday? The calendar looks dismal for the rest of July.
MARK

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go." CSN&Y

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 10:25 AM

makatakam wrote:Hi guys. Flew Sunday at Busse Woods, blk/red 1.5 sle 3-wrap and some home-mades; Monday, same place, same, same. Tried flying Tuesday morning at Turner Park in Roselle. Wind was lame and I decided I need an ultralight/indoor rev for those x*##@&% days, so I went home and built one. Took almost seven hours; sail, frame, bridle and hardware -- all from scratch -- in the style of the red/wht checkered I flew at Greene Valley on Saturday. Met Tim O'Leary at Busse Woods on Wednesday morning. I got there about 10 minutes before him, set up my brand-new all-white ul; flew it for about 1/2 minute and broke a bungee-to-sail connection, :mad: :censored: :( :censored: , oh well, :( :( :( . Flew blk/red 1.5 sle 3-wrp with Tim once he arrived and got his blk/lim/blu 1.5 sle 3-wrp set up. He's new to revs, but picks up on it quickly. I'm probably not the best instructor, but I tried to walk him thru the basics of up/down, left/right, etc. Winds were weird, from 0 gusting to about 15. Brought out the full-vent Phantom and flew that a bit. Tim tried it also.

Going back this afternoon (Thursday) after making repairs last night, and Tim will probably join me. Anyone else who can is welcome. Hey Jeff, how about some handle time after work! I need more time and practice with crossed lines,

Practiced bicycle turns all week and pretty much got it, inverted hover is still shaky but getting better. Much easier with the full-vent.

Is anyone interested in a quick fly this Sunday? The calendar looks dismal for the rest of July.

On the contrary. Your instruction was really good. I learned a lot.

Hope I can make it this afternoon, depending on how the day goes.

T.J. (a.k.a. -Tim O'Leary)

Elix

Postby Elix » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 12:53 PM

Darkspark wrote:Guess I could have explained that a little further. They are replacement endcaps for a rev. I have been trying them out on the ends of the leading edge. The small bit sticking out is flint steel. When it gets dragged across concrete or asphalt it creates sparks. A fairly large amount on concrete. Figured they would be fun for street flying, and flying near a paved surface. They are bright enough to show up during the day, but really show up at dusk, night. Once I know they will not burn holes in the kite and that they hold together I will probably sell them.

Ah sweet, were you talking to Barresi about this on the Rev forums? It sounds familiar for some reason. Fantastic idea. How long will one of these last? I know that's impossible to answer for every flyer, but would you say a couple hours of showing off will have it worn down, or is it more like you could go all season and not wear it down enough to need replacing. I'll be interested as I have a huge parking lot I could fly in given some motivation and co-worker participation. Waiting for the video like everyone else! :up:
Chris

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 01:11 PM

Great to hear some people are getting out and flying this week.

I might be able to fly some on Sunday . . . if I get the backup sump pump and the daughter's room painted before Sunday afternoon. The weather forecast look HOT, so the winds might not be that great with thermals. Maybe Northerly (for the late afternoon lake breeze) or Greene Valley (for the "altitude")? Not promising I can make it, just suggesting locations . . .

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 06:29 PM

Mikey ~ YOU'RE... SOMETHIN' ELSE

Thanks Jynx! You gonna want some to add some flair to your evening fun at Veterans park?
I will trade a set for your EYES. :shock: It seems fair. :-)

Ah sweet, were you talking to Barresi about this on the Rev forums? It sounds familiar for some reason. Fantastic idea. How long will one of these last? I know that's impossible to answer for every flyer, but would you say a couple hours of showing off will have it worn down, or is it more like you could go all season and not wear it down enough to need replacing. I'll be interested as I have a huge parking lot I could fly in given some motivation and co-worker participation. Waiting for the video like everyone else!

Chris:
John knows about them through FB message, but I think this is the first mention of them on a forum.
I think they will last a fair bit of time, They are 1/4" by 1 1/2", with about an inch exposed. In the hour + I have used them I have worn off about 1/16" or so. I could increase the size of the stock but the extra weight would get to be too much.
Unless you spent a bunch of time flying at night, I think they would last most of a season. I actually thought about using a smaller piece, but I haven't decided yet. As long as everything works good after some more testing, I think I will sell a pair for $15-20. So all things considered, I think that is fairly cheap. The pieces aren't expensive, it is the time to machine them that adds up.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 08:15 PM

I think the concept of sparking end caps might have been mentioned over on revkites . . . . . you might want to take a look over there. Maybe you should call them "Darksparks" :-D

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Thu, Jul 14 2011, 11:13 PM

Darkspark wrote:
Mikey ~ YOU'RE... SOMETHIN' ELSE

Thanks Jynx! You gonna want some to add some flair to your evening fun at Veterans park?
I will trade a set for your EYES. :shock: It seems fair. :-)

.............As long as everything works good after some more testing, I think I will sell a pair for $15-20. .

:up: When you've got 'em in production...
After deep thought and consideration, I have decided to BUY a pair from you... though :thanks: your offer was Awful Tempting!

Very AWFUL!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

FlyAway

Postby FlyAway » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 09:37 AM

Got back out to Busse Woods on Thursday for some more flying with Mark. I got to try his homemade creations which were great. The red and white one makes a nice avatar. :up:

T.J.

Elix

Postby Elix » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 10:42 AM

My new B Series (and my first Rev) arrived in the mail last night. Mid-west wind deities, please keep this 10mph breeze going until well after I get off work!
Chris

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 11:24 AM

I think the concept of sparking end caps might have been mentioned over on revkites

I did a quick search and didn't see anything. If you run across it again post the link on here.

Elix

Postby Elix » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 01:02 PM

Darkspark wrote:I did a quick search and didn't see anything. If you run across it again post the link on here.

As requested =)
Chris

Darkspark

Postby Darkspark » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 01:45 PM

Weird, Had nothing to do with me though. I guess I have an advantage in that I have the know-how and equipment at my disposal to make about anything I can dream up. Almost anything anyway. I have been patiently waiting for an evening free with some wind to make a video. No luck yet. July is a crappy wind month for the most part anyhow. I will get a chance soon I hope.

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Fri, Jul 15 2011, 08:08 PM

Elix wrote:
Darkspark wrote:I did a quick search and didn't see anything. If you run across it again post the link on here.

As requested =)

I knew I saw that somewhere recently . . . . thanks for digging that up!

I dropped by Busse tonight (unannounced) and there was only one person flying an SLK waaaaaayyyyyy over on the other side. I figured I'd give Busse a try in case Mark, TJ, or Jeff just happened to be there. I tried to fly a SUL on 120s (in case the wind was better higher up) but the wind was not cooperating when I got there. so I only flew for a few minutes of slow . . . barely staying in the air . . . . "flightwalking." Not too much fun, so I packed up & headed home.

Note to anyone lurking out there who wants to fly with others . . . . post up where you might be flying or going out and who knows . . . someone else might show up! I missed out by not saying anything tonight.

So, all that said, I probably won't fly tomorrow unless I get a LOT of honey-do list done first.

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”