Budget Quads

The result of our kite making adventures
User avatar
BillLamm
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue, Apr 14 2009, 11:51 PM

Budget Quads

Postby BillLamm » Mon, Aug 10 2009, 09:46 PM

my first budget quad flew today... (actually had a speed trial last week and added a little reinforcing to the leading edge)

this sail is from the JuneBug plans but I sized it to fit the same size spars as a rev

the other sail I have is from the Freedom 2000 plans.. again scaled to fit the rev spars... my goal is to get white rev sails and the paint them with artistic imagery... I like the kites at the rev kite and respect the style... and I hope to complement it by going in a new direction...
Image
Image

User avatar
Darkspark
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun, Jun 14 2009, 11:13 AM
Location: kankakee Ill

Re: Budget Quads

Postby Darkspark » Tue, Aug 11 2009, 12:15 PM

I dig the Kite, and it would make a great canvas for painting. How well does it fly?

User avatar
BillLamm
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue, Apr 14 2009, 11:51 PM

Re: Budget Quads

Postby BillLamm » Tue, Aug 11 2009, 06:26 PM

Darkspark wrote:I dig the Kite, and it would make a great canvas for painting. How well does it fly?


I am still very new to quads so I am not a great judge of flyability... that said I think this sail is slower and a little top heavier thn the quads I have flown...

my early flight was in good wind and it flew ok... I am still in the get it up, keep it up and try to hold it steady stage of learning....

I strengthened the leading edge, that added some weight but I think the real problem on the second day was the wind was closer to SUL range than SLE so it is hard to say...

if I try this sail pattern again I think I will cut it so the verticals don't come over the bowed horizontal as much as this one

User avatar
kiteguy
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue, Feb 20 2007, 04:32 PM

Re: Budget Quads

Postby kiteguy » Mon, Aug 31 2009, 07:57 PM

BillLamm wrote:my first budget quad flew today... (actually had a speed trial last week and added a little reinforcing to the leading edge)

this sail is from the JuneBug plans but I sized it to fit the same size spars as a rev



OK, so you made the kite larger than the original? I had read that it was hardly flyable. I was tempted to make the build, but I have enough non-flying quads around here, already. :(

However, I still have a tiny itch..... :nurse:
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

User avatar
BillLamm
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue, Apr 14 2009, 11:51 PM

Re: Budget Quads

Postby BillLamm » Mon, Aug 31 2009, 08:50 PM

kiteguy wrote:
BillLamm wrote:my first budget quad flew today... (actually had a speed trial last week and added a little reinforcing to the leading edge)

this sail is from the JuneBug plans but I sized it to fit the same size spars as a rev



OK, so you made the kite larger than the original? I had read that it was hardly flyable. I was tempted to make the build, but I have enough non-flying quads around here, already. :(

However, I still have a tiny itch..... :nurse:


my son (newb quad flyer like me) kinda prefers the junebug sail over they freedom 2k??? the 2k has a heavy LE (duct tape) and is pretty skinny at the center so it is twitchy and likes to flip one side of the sail if the winds gust a little... I have a bridal on the junebug and I think the original just had the flying lines to the vertical spars???

I have a ryv like sail and a junebug with the verticals lower (in relationship to the horizontal bow) on paper soon to go to cheap ripstop so we shall see.. white rev factory sails can be had for a fair price but I want to learn to paint nylon on a cheaper sail :)


Return to “Completed Creations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests