Kite Party Roll Call

The 2009 Kite Festival Season Archives
kiteking

Re: Kite Party Roll Call

Postby kiteking » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 03:55 PM

Jynx,

My rule,

Pack all kites and accessories, then shampoo and deodorant and sunscreen, then undergarments, socks, pants, shirts if I run out of room I back off the cloths.

Remember, Dave will have KP shirts and sweatshirts for sale so you might deduct one from you bag.

The rain is usually light and short so a inexpensive poncho will work.

There is a Harley shop just up the street so you can stock up on HB Harley stuff
Wind to your back, Kite in the sky

MikeM
Brookings, OR
AKA# 110883

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks Guys! :up: I appreciate your help for this first timer.
It was alot easier for Treasure Island... I just threw doubles, and triples, of Everything I owned in the Jeep!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

moegeo

Postby moegeo » Thu, Feb 19 2009, 07:07 PM

+1 What Mike said...I be packing heavy, kites that is. OPKs is the rule not the exception. I'm sooo looking forward to KP7, if for no other reason unplugging for the economic drone.
Geo.

kiteking

Postby kiteking » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 01:05 PM

Dave has called for a head count for Friday night dinner at [url="http://www.coachsmedgrill.com/"]Coach's[/url]

Sign up [url="http://www.gwtw-kites.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39873"]here[/url] on the GWTW forum.
Wind to your back, Kite in the sky

MikeM

Brookings, OR

AKA# 110883

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 01:37 PM

Experiencing a panic attack... fearing my 85' lines would be too long to join the, reserved area, fun... I called Dave at Kite Connection...

Good News! He assured me that there would be plenty of 75' sets available for sale on site.

One set is mine! The rest of you are on your own!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 02:07 PM

Jynx wrote:Experiencing a panic attack... fearing my 85' lines would be too long to join the, reserved area, fun... I called Dave at Kite Connection...

Good News! He assured me that there would be plenty of 75' sets available for sale on site.

It's no biggie. We can take 10' off your lineset in 5 minutes flat. :P
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 02:08 PM

Rain has been an odd tradition at KP. I can think of at least four times we've had rain on a Thursday or Friday, but never on the weekend. Last year it was rarely really sunny but it never really rained either.

Yesterday morning, at T- one week and counting I started to get fidgety. I have a big kite project in the works that I want to at least test fly once before I head down there.

As far as packing goes, I have a teeny little Honda Civic but it hold an amazing amount of stuff. From years of comps I'm in the habit of bringing lots of parts and sticks. If there's something the Kite Connection doesn't have, I just might. I wasn't even a boy scout...

See Ya!
Allen Carter

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 02:59 PM

Jeff wrote:
Jynx wrote:Experiencing a panic attack... fearing my 85' lines would be too long to join the, reserved area, fun... I called Dave at Kite Connection...
It's no biggie. We can take 10' off your lineset in 5 minutes flat. :P

:thanks: Jeff ~
Again, You come thru in a pinch!
I'll repack my 85' lines and look for you to fix-em' up!
Save $ Save $ Save $ ...Gotta love it!
Thanks so much!
Now I can relax.....NOT! ..........Tooooooo psyched!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the heads up about dinner on Friday. It's a good time, everyone should go.

Jynx, Jeepster is an expert at line making and I think he'll be there before Jeff if you need to cut them down earlier.

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 04:24 PM

May I adopt you all?

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 05:04 PM

Mike, speaking of line length, have you heard if Rev group flying is to be handled any different this year? I've never grudged the field but some folks have.
Allen Carter

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 08:05 PM

Jynx wrote:May I adopt you all?

Please do, please do ...

Now as your adoptee, here's my list of wants ... Mid-vent in lime #4 would be nice ... indoor in bright colors ... progressive stack ...

We're in the middle of Nebraska right now and headed towards California ... so, if Jeff doesn't get there first I'd be happy to bring you up short.

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 08:50 PM

Kitehead wrote:Mike, speaking of line length, have you heard if Rev group flying is to be handled any different this year? I've never grudged the field but some folks have.

Well, last year the revs were flying on 120' lines so the 75's should help a lot.
Also, the last I heard, Lolly is supposed to be running a learn-to-fly field on the other side of pier. I think between the volleyball courts and the sea.
If there's room there, we may fly some revs over there too.

As someone who swings both ways (kitewise :-) ) would you let me know if you hear any grumbling from the dual-line crowd?

There were a lot fewer dual lines there last year and there were a lot of revs.
3 years ago, about the only quad fliers were me and Ben and we had trouble finding a place to fly on 50' lines.
Dual liners may find that times have changed, but I still wanna keep everyone happy if possible and within reason.

I plan on staking out a spot near the pier. Revs like to play with the tourists walking by 8)

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Feb 20 2009, 08:55 PM

Jeepster wrote:
Jynx wrote:...
We're in the middle of Nebraska right now and headed towards California ...

There's a storm supposed to hit tonight out here, so it sounds like you timed your exit well.
The 80 thru Iowa can terrible when it's icy/snowy. I driven there when you would have had to take a number to slide into a ditch. We once counted over 30 cars off the road within 15 minutes of driving. You'd think they could clear the roads/drive better in Iowa.

Have smooth sailing thru the flatlands and enjoy the Rockies when you get there. Should be beautiful. Post photos!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Feb 21 2009, 08:55 AM

you guys all have a great time...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Feb 21 2009, 09:15 AM

Thanks Chris,
we'll truly miss having you there.

By the way teammates:
The weight of the kites + radios = 55 pounds.

I leave in a couple hours, so unless I come up with something clever, it looks like you many have to listen to my squeaky voice all weekend....

prairierose

Postby prairierose » Sat, Feb 21 2009, 10:13 AM

Have an amazing time, everyone!! Wish I could be there!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Feb 21 2009, 10:52 AM

prairierose wrote:Have an amazing time, everyone!! Wish I could be there!

Me Too! Maybe next year.

Luggage update:
OK, it can't rain because I'm leaving behind my rain gear. And it cant get too cold either.
That makes room for the radios and batteries in my carry-on. I have just enough clothes to last the 2 weeks I'll be there. This gets the kite suitcase down to 48 lbs. It also means I'll be lugging over 50lbs of carryon during my 3 hour layover, but what they hey, I'll soon be on my way!

I haven't checked the weather out there, but it doesn't matter, it's going to be better than here! (sorry Rose and Chris)

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Sat, Feb 21 2009, 11:14 AM

Babbman wrote:you guys all have a great time...

We'll try.
Allen Carter

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sat, Feb 21 2009, 02:46 PM

Mike wrote:
prairierose wrote:Have an amazing time, everyone!! Wish I could be there!

Me Too! Maybe next year.

Luggage update:
OK, it can't rain because I'm leaving behind my rain gear. And it cant get too cold either.
That makes room for the radios and batteries in my carry-on. I have just enough clothes to last the 2 weeks I'll be there. This gets the kite suitcase down to 48 lbs. It also means I'll be lugging over 50lbs of carryon during my 3 hour layover, but what they hey, I'll soon be on my way!

I haven't checked the weather out there, but it doesn't matter, it's going to be better than here! (sorry Rose and Chris)

Don't worry...We have had some terrific weekends with lots of sunshine and good winds. It seems to me that we are gonna have a perfect weekend for the KP.
Sunshine and great winds, that's what you are gonna get. See you soon. I'LL BE THERE. Fri. got to work all day; Sat. HP; Sun. Hmmm...we'll see.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Return to “2009 Kite Festivals”