Flyin' at the falls

Links to photos of anything kite related.
Mike

Flyin' at the falls

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 06 2008, 08:45 AM

You can't tell too much from the photo, but I'm flying over the water, about 20' from the edge of Niagara Falls. There's a severe downdraft at the falls, so it wasn't prudent to go closer.

I also flew the kite in and out of the river, but I don't have a photo. There may be some video though.

It was quite an adrenaline rush flying there. It was the most challenging spot to fly that I've had. We were flying on 60' lines on a grass area that was about 40' by 80'. The grass was elevated by about 3', so if you backed up you'd fall off the 3' cliff onto cement (which I did). There were also tourists to avoid and the shiftiest wind ever. The wind probably varied from 0 to 8 mph and it was constantly changing directions, sometimes switching from behind to blowing right in your face. It was different directions at different heights and when ever the wind blew from the direction of the falls you would get rained on from the fall's mist.

Some students from the University of Buffalo have been trying to fly a kite across the gorge for about 4 years. They made it this year but the line got stuck in some trees on the American side. John and I managed to retrieve the line by tying a string to a water bottle, throwing that over the line and me on the other side of the fence holding someones hand for support and catching the line. It was cool to hold 1500' of line that stretched across the gorge.

Extremely cool to be able to fly there. We did that on Thursday and Friday. We also flew near the restaurant which a bit up the hill, maybe 300' from the falls. The wind there was a little less shifty, but it would still do a 180 and blow misty falls rain down on us. Someone posted a bit of youtube video and you can get some idea of what it was like. From left to right: JD, Me, Steve, John:
[youtube]a9LTvrkkShw[/youtube]

brownssl

Re: Flyin' At The Falls

Postby brownssl » Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:26 AM

THAT IS AWSOME MIKE :up: :up:
:SLKani: shawn

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, Oct 08 2008, 09:59 PM

Mike wrote:It was cool to hold 1500' of line that stretched across the gorge.

I bet it was! KBer has a discussions running about this you outa post over there about it too, Mike.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Thu, Oct 09 2008, 10:36 PM

Mike wrote:We also flew near the restaurant which a bit up the hill, maybe 300' from the falls. The wind there was a little less shifty, but it would still do a 180 and blow misty falls rain down on us.
Someone posted a bit of youtube video and you can get some idea of what it was like.

Mike,

Cool pics and cool video ...

I know it's probably mean, but I love the ending of the video. John's kite falls down flat, he puts both handles in one hand, turns around and looks upwards with a completely frustrated look on his face. I've been in that position so many times that's it's actually soothing to the soul to see it happen to John. Next time it happens to me, you better believe I'll have a new mantra ... "this happens to John too ... this happens to John too ... this happens to John too"

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by Jeepster on Fri, Oct 10 2008, 07:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Photos”