Club Fly--Where, how, why?

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Mike

Club Fly--Where, how, why?

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 12:16 PM

The latest club fly has only a handful of people signed up.

There are several festivals coming up, so we may not have another club fly for a little while.
But before we schedule another one, I'd appreciate some feedback from those not coming--why?
Too short a notice? Don't read the forum regularly and didn't know? To far? Bad day? The weather? Bored with kites? Would rather sew? Too many sport kiters? Not enough sport kiters?

What would it take for you to come and have fun flying kites?

Please post here with any comments you have.
Post, post, post
Don't be shy
OK, if you're shy, PM me.

TeamTrejo

Re: Club Fly--Where, How, Why?

Postby TeamTrejo » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 01:20 PM

I'm sure alot more people will show up than will nessesarly post to the topic.

Shy, lurkers, new members.
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Wed, Mar 26 2008, 01:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Frodos Majik

Re: Club Fly--Where, how, why?

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 01:48 PM

The problem with that Issac, is it makes it very hard to figure out when and where. We REALLY DO NEED input FROM EVERYBODY to help with the planning of club flies and or outings of any kind. Thats what makes it a club fly.

At times what you said is true and some do just show up, but its hard to plan with out a true head count.

So like Mike said "We NEED INPUT." PLEASE. :up:

Please remember everybody this an ALL KITE club. Not just a quad club. We need all kinds of kites in the air at the club flies. Dont let us quad mouths scare the rest of you away. :roll: :mrblue:

Remember its YOUR CLUB too.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 02:39 PM

When I can't make one, it's usually beacause of too short notice.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 03:03 PM

It is hard to schedule by consensus. Any time you are dealing with more than a couple people, you will have the problem of conflicting schedules and priorities. Such is life.

For me, it's family issues that are the main scheduling problem. Having more notice doesn't always help...I simply have to reserve time for family stuff, and my wife's schedule determines my availability more than anything.

This topic sort of fits in with some thoughts I've had recently on marketing the club and its activities, so I think I'll mention them here...

The way I see it, we have 2 groups of people to try and accommodate for club flys, especially if we want to expand the ranks and the activity of the club.

1. There are the most active club members that are online frequently if not daily, and generally motivated to make time for flying. We do our best to get to festivals and meets, but of course, even amongst us there are scheduling issues. There's what, around 20 folks in this category (guessing) and we're spread over a rather large geographic area. Because we communicate frequently, we can negotiate scheduling to serve the greatest number of people.

2. Then there's the casual member, or potential member...someone who might be interested, but this is not a part of their daily life. They don't check the forum every day. They might respond to a convenient opportunity...if they knew about it.

Perhaps we could establish a mailing list. Basically, offer a sign-up for people to be on a list that emails club event news. Maybe some people just can't or won't take the time to log on and check forums. But if they received a simple email that announced where and when there was going to be an IKE club fly or a festival, that would get it on their radar, and maybe they'd act on it.

Maybe at festivals we could offer a signup sheet for such a mailing list. Naturally, we'd prefer people to participate in our forum, but for some, maybe this is the level of involvement that makes sense. Maybe that would get some more people out there with us.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 03:59 PM

We actually did some group emails early on. We can re-introduce them if folks would like.

Anne

Postby Anne » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 04:11 PM

Hello,
While I am on a computer every day for work, I am not always able to check the forum. Therefore I would like the email idea, though I think some would not as the email tends to get full. I am not sure if this emailing could be topic specific and let the user choose which topics they would like to be emailed about. Just an idea. I don't think I'd want to get every single post in an email. Plus this sounds like it may be alot of work.

On another post on this site...there was this topic regarding computer building hmmm...we go from building kites to computers...lol....for a minute I thought we were on a computer forum. I wouldn't really mind that either, though I know as little about computers as I do about kites. :rotfl

Just kidding...

Talk to ya'll later.
Anne

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 04:24 PM

Family, work, church, etc... all leaving play time as smallest priority.

Jenny watches Elie all week long (minus the 6hrs, 3 days per week she is in school). Jenny's busiest day is Sat which makes taking a 5 y.o. to work with her extremely difficult. Sat is my day to do the sitting which is why I typically do not volunteer myself available for anything else on that day.

With the busy schedule we have this spring, church has me scheduled for every Sunday I am not at a festival leaving me without a single Sunday off from the beginning of March until the end of May.

Any Sunday I can make a club fly means that I cannot even be there until 2pm or later. Quite honestly, I have no desire to drive 3+ hrs round trip to fly for 3 hrs. It costs me about $20 in gas to make a club fly in Bourbonaise, not including food/drink. I would rather drive the < 1 mile to my home field and fly for an hour or so on those days. If I could get a full day, that's a different story. But this is my reality this year.

Them's my reasons....

On a general note though, there could be several issues about this. 1st off, driving more than an hour to do something these days is something that people have to think about. Gas is damn expensive... If they can fly closer to home, they probably will and quite honestly, I don't blame them.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 04:32 PM

The email I was thinking about would just be for announcing events or activities, not to communicate what generally goes on in the forum. It probably wouldn't be a great help to anybody who is here enough to actually respond to the question of whether they would want it. I guess I'm just talking about ways to reach out to the more casually interested person. Somebody who sees us at a festival, gets sort of motivated, wants to try it, but isn't ready for "joining." Although I can see that even some who already participate more may still find it useful to have a "heads up" delivered to them.

I also had a thought about broadcasting information using another technology...
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 05:29 PM

Mike wrote:
What would it take for you to come and have fun flying kites?

A plane ticket. :-)

OK, so it's more complicated than that... :(
Allen Carter

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 05:37 PM

Our local comp league sends out at most two emails a month. One with a general "what's happening" and schedule. One that is a reminder of an upcoming event a few days or a week before. Works good.

Of course, that's with generally only one club event per month. If we were doing something every weekend the comunication gets tougher, but I'd dig an email a week. Think of all the un-fun email we get. A few kite emails on a regular basis are nice.

Of course, someone needs to write the paragraph or two. A canned listserv type schedule is lame.

I've known some successful clubs that had a regularly scheduled get together. Every third Sunday or whatever. Not everyone can make it every time, but for those who have to rearrange daily life to find flying time it gives a non-moving target.
Last edited by Kitehead on Wed, Mar 26 2008, 05:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Allen Carter

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 09:57 PM

Babbman wrote:...driving more than an hour to do something these days is something that people have to think about. Gas is damn expensive... If they can fly closer to home, they probably will and quite honestly, I don't blame them.

There is no way to get around the driving. Our membership is too spread out. The shortest I ever drive to a club event is 1 1/2 hours each way. Festivals are usually 3 to 4 hours away, sometimes even 5 or 6 hours. A two or three day festival makes that worthwhile.

We try to make club flies worth an 1 1/2 hour drive by making it an all day event. Often, we meet around 10 am, fly until dinner, and then meet somewhere for dinner afterwards. The gas money is real, but it's not a bad investment for me to spend a day flying with friends.

If the club were ever to grow large enough, we could schedule northern and southern flies, but I don't see that realistically happening.

There are festivals just about every week or so until July, so we probably wont schedule another club fly until then. We'll meet at festivals.
The festivals are located all over, so check the calendar and make sure to make it to a festival when it's near you.

AhMayzon

Postby AhMayzon » Thu, Mar 27 2008, 12:39 AM

I've known some successful clubs that had a regularly scheduled get together. Every third Sunday or whatever. Not everyone can make it every time, but for those who have to rearrange daily life to find flying time it gives a non-moving target.

This is what we do with the Gateway Kite Club. We fly every 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month. The 4th Sunday is always at Forest Park; the 2nd Sunday we rotate among several fields that are closer to different parts of the membership. We try to schedule a couple months out, and then post the schedule in our newsletter. We have a core group that gets to most of the flies, but then we do see different people at different fields on those 2nd Sunday flies, also.

brownssl

Postby brownssl » Thu, Mar 27 2008, 12:57 AM

i dont know if i can make it till a date is posted i am very busy with twin kids that will be 5 in may they keep me and my wife on are tose i do like the club flys for i can get some help i am new with the rev and need all the help i can get(this is the fist time this site would let me log in i been tying every day sents feb i dont know why shawn
:SLKani: shawn

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Mar 27 2008, 08:11 AM

A few thoughts about club flies.

First the upcoming fly. I got sick coming back from Thailand, at first I thought it was a bad cold, it has turned out to be my worst illness ever. I may have been sicker when I was a kid, but never in my adult memory. I am slowly getting better but the thought of lugging ktes around in the cold has absolutely no appeal.

For upcoming club flies, distance will matter, my gas budget is strained to the limit, I am already driving long distances to festivals, Adding long distance club flys will depend on the budget and my mood at the time. In addition space is always a consideration for me, my stuff takes so much more space than others, so particularly if I have a long drive, I want to be sure of space.

Oh well, got to go to work,I don't expect to be back on until tomorrow, just too tired when get home.
Alan Sparling

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Mar 27 2008, 09:35 AM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:A few thoughts about club flies.

First the upcoming fly. I got sick coming back from Thailand, at first I thought it was a bad cold, it has turned out to be my worst illness ever. I may have been sicker when I was a kid, but never in my adult memory. I am slowly getting better but the thought of lugging ktes around in the cold has absolutely no appeal.

For upcoming club flies, distance will matter, my gas budget is strained to the limit, I am already driving long distances to festivals, Adding long distance club flys will depend on the budget and my mood at the time. In addition space is always a consideration for me, my stuff takes so much more space than others, so particularly if I have a long drive, I want to be sure of space.

Oh well, got to go to work,I don't expect to be back on until tomorrow, just too tired when get home.

Al, on your cold... yup... my wife and I are going through the same thing. This is the worst flu/influenza/cold that I have had in over 15 years. Started out like a cold, turned into an absolute body incapacitating nightmare for several days and then switched off like a lightbulb, leaving us with a severe head/chest cold that seems to be taking forever to get over.

And I agree (since I said it the 1st time) that travel costs are an issue for everything, not just fun things. Of course we all adjust to spend on those things that we enjoy, but there are times where that $20 in gas needs to go to bills, food, etc. My costs on everything have gone up incredibly and my paycheck has not. So, when confronted with that choice, as much as I like to see my friends, reality dictates a quick jaunt over to my local park.

As for time, yes, of course you want to maximize the time spent when having to travel a significant distance. But this is also something that is not at all easily shoehorned into a schedule that is consumed by the things in life that have to be done in order to use the short time remaining to have fun.

For example, 168 hrs in a week total. 40 of them spent at work. 10 of them spent in travel to/from work, 8/day spent sleeping, grooming (we hope...lol). 2/day fixing food and eating it, etc.... Once all of this is subtracted, there are about 52 hrs left in the week. Obviously, not all of this is available for fun and for most people, work completely kills the day for doing anything, leaving only the weekends to relax and get all those things done that cannot be done during the week.

And as a final thing that has to be considered (well, that I have to consider), not all people in the family have the same wants and desires. Jenny works on the weekend and that means I have to consider the wants and needs of my 5 year old who has no desire (or attention span) to stand in a field all day watching daddy fly kites. Jenny has no desire to spend her 1 day off standing in a field watching me fly kites. Unfortunately, she is just not interested to the level that I am. Sometimes it's difficult to just get an hour or 2 to fly on the weekends at all...

Not trying to be a killjoy, but just trying to point out the reality that setting aside an entire day to do something is sometimes far easier said than done.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Mar 27 2008, 07:18 PM

What I'm hearing from Babb and Al, is that you don't want to drive and you may not want to spend all day.
Give these places some thought:

Naperville
DeKalb
Pontiac
Bourbonnais
Northerly Island near downtown Chicago (free parking!)
Where else?

We'll discuss it at the upcoming festivals and pick a few places to rotate for the summer.

Don't forget that anyone can call for a club fly, any where, any time. Just post a date, place and time and see if anyone is available.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Mar 27 2008, 09:16 PM

Mike wrote:What I'm hearing from Babb and Al, is that you don't want to drive and you may not want to spend all day.

To rephrase... I don't always have the option of staying all day which makes a long drive impractical. And then sometimes, I just don't have the money..

8)

Chris (aka Babbman)

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Thu, May 08 2008, 11:42 PM

Your a good hubby Jeff!

and my wife's schedule determines my availability more than anything

I have health issues and can't drive far or be in the cold. You really don't want me on the road, I'm the one that causes the traffic jams. Good news, I won't be working Saturday's anymore, so I should be able to make more. I picked a great sport. :roll:

Waiting for the 70 degree days!
Last edited by Roxy on Thu, May 08 2008, 11:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, May 09 2008, 10:48 PM

Mike wrote:What I'm hearing from Babb and Al, is that you don't want to drive and you may not want to spend all day.
Give these places some thought:

Naperville
DeKalb
Pontiac
Bourbonnais
Northerly Island near downtown Chicago (free parking!)
Where else?

The fellow in charge of the Kite Fest at Governor's State, Jeff, said that we could have club flies there at the campus. However, i'd have to check other locations there to see how appropriate they would be. The site where we flew, by Paul Bunyan, had a lot of stubble, and that was quite a precarious situation for the higher priced stunt kites. Next time i'm around there (while stopping for the trains for a doctor visit to Chicago with my wife), i'll look over the area.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”