Announcement: A New Section Of The IKE Website

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Jeff

Announcement: A New Section Of The IKE Website

Postby Jeff » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 12:19 AM

We are pleased to announce an addition to IKE's online presence.

This discussion forum is and will continue to be the primary way for all of us to stay connected, organized, and communicate with each other.

But we also felt that there were some useful things that we could accomplish by using some additional tools and software...to be better organized, to document our collective knowledge, and to increase our visibility as a premier kite club.

This new part of the website is an information resource. You will find festival schedules and information. We will include follow-up information...pictures, video, news items, whatever may come as a result of an event. We now have a way to document these things in a way that's easy to archive, find and access.

But documenting our own activities is just a start. We are hoping to use this new resource to build a kiting encyclopedia of sorts. (An IKElopedia? 8) ) We will be including information and articles and links over time that we think can be useful to anyone looking to learn about kiting. We are starting from scratch here; it's pretty much a blank slate, but we can create something that kiters and potential kiters around the world will see and use as a valuable resource.

You can currently go to the main page of the new section by following the link below. You may notice in the near term a few changes here and there as we adjust the formatting or layout or just do some random tweaking. There are still a few decisions to be made about how we are going to set up access...will the IKE home page contain a link TO it, or will we use it AS the home page? So there's a few things to work out, but nothing to keep us from rolling it out to the club, and letting people start to use it.

Give it a try and let us know what you think.

:thanks:

http://www.ikeclub.org/wiki
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Re: Announcement: A New Section Of The IKE Website

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 05:29 AM

Jeff is being a bit modest here..

The 'IKElopedia' or wiki (some of you are familiar with www.wikipedia.com) is completely Jeff's brainchild.

I know that he spend an enormous amount of time putting this together as well as dealing with Mike and I constantly making comments and suggestions that would make anyone of normal temperament, throw up their hands in disgust.. :up:

Our thanks goes out to to him for this work (and his ability to shrug off criticism as easily and graciously as he did).

:thanks:

I think things look great and believe that this will be the place where the knowledge of IKE is consolidated, organized and made available for people to use and refer to for years to come.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 08:03 AM

I not only echo what Babbman said, I would also like to add that Jeff is totally awesome. :up:

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 08:10 AM

Oh yeah, there is a link to the IKELopedia at the top of the page :uparrow:

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 08:37 PM

A nice new section, bui is it a wiki? We use wikis heavily at work as a means of sharing information and as I understand them the collaborative aspect is key to it being a wiki. Now letting people go in and edit / change everything may not be what we wani, but it is what makes a wiki a wiki. Or am I blind and missing the edit controls?

I do think it is a great addition to the web presence.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 09:03 PM

You are right Al. It is actually Wiki software, (we're using mediwiki) but we are hiding the Wiki aspect of it for right now.

It seemed perfect for keeping track of festivals and their associated photos and such. Look at the Kite Party entry.
It's an easy way for a few of us to keep track of, and update some common web pages.

As we expand it and folks want to add to it, I think we will add writers on a case by case basis. So for now, it's only sort of wiki-ish.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 10:53 PM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:A nice new section, bui is it a wiki? We use wikis heavily at work as a means of sharing information and as I understand them the collaborative aspect is key to it being a wiki. Now letting people go in and edit / change everything may not be what we wani, but it is what makes a wiki a wiki. Or am I blind and missing the edit controls?

I do think it is a great addition to the web presence.

Yes, it is indeed.

We will work out the policy on exactly how that will work. Personally, I would very much like to have members' contribute directly. Certain areas will be protected against edits, that is easy enough. And erroneous information is easy enough to monitor and roll back when necessary.

But at least for the initial part...rolling out the software to get people used to it, and getting used to it ourselves from an admin side, and just seeing how it will be used, we didn't want to hold up releasing it. Since we're using it to keep festival info first off, and we want that out there and accessible for everyone.

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 11:12 PM

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Mar 25 2008, 12:57 AM

Great job Jeff!!
I really like the fest count down up at the top of the page.
Also the photo slide show.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Mar 25 2008, 08:04 PM

Yes, wonderful job, Jeff!

The fest countdown is cool! The only thing missing in all of this is a live cam going on during festivals!

Regarding the history of kiting... why wasn't Benjamin Franklin electrocuted with his special kite-electricity experiment?... was he wearing thick gloves? Maybe we should do a duplicate trial of that famous experiment at the next festival!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Mar 25 2008, 09:29 PM

YOU WILL DIE!!!

Myth Busters just did that one about a week or two ago. They said he would have died, way to much juice. :shock:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Mar 25 2008, 09:33 PM

Ben used a Layden jar to collect the electricity from the kite line. Flew before the storm hit close by, and his line was dry. Or so legend has it. He actually sorta did that experiment on the down low. It wasn't one of his more documented experiments.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Mar 25 2008, 10:48 PM

I always mean to have a cheap kite up when lightning blows through. It would make for some cool video, methinks.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, May 07 2008, 12:54 AM

Is it just me or is the home page not counting down the fest days? The home page has been stuck on

"Today Galesburg" - "4 days till Grinnel" - "10 days till Grand Haven".

Its been like that since sunday morning. Just wondering if it is a manual update or automatic.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, May 07 2008, 10:29 AM

Frodos Majik wrote:Is it just me or is the home page not counting down the fest days? The home page has been stuck on

"Today Galesburg" - "4 days till Grinnel" - "10 days till Grand Haven".

Its been like that since sunday morning. Just wondering if it is a manual update or automatic.

It's partially automatic...that is, the countown is calculated automatically, but when an event is over, or to add a new one, I have to change it manually. I was a day late in removing Galesburg, but it has been correct for a couple days. Try clearing your browser's cache, or hitting reload on the page.

IKE is on Image too!

Return to “Club Discussion”