Fraying And Being Afraid...

All about Dual Line Kiting.
Knoted4ever

Fraying And Being Afraid...

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Mar 22 2008, 12:47 AM

On many dual line kites, if you do a lot of backspins, multi-lazies and similar tricks, the upper outhaul bridle line gets frayed where it rubs against the lower spreader. (You can use expensive BlackDiamond spreaders, but there is still the problem of standoff fittings rubbing the lines.)

To rectify this, i do a few things.

One thing i do is put black electrical tape over the "humps" that the standoffs make as they are attached to the lower spreader. i place a small piece over each standoff section on the lower spreader. When i place the two halves of the lower spreader together, each time i set up the kite in the field... i put a small strip of electrical tape between the two halves and over the center tee.

Additionally, for Standard kites or Lights (but not SULs) i place around 3 inches or so of flexible, clear aquarium hose tubing around the upper outhaul of the bridle line where it rubs against the lower spreader. i use black electrical tape to secure it to the line at the ends of the tubing; and one can put a little around the bridle line where the tubing crosses it. One can cut through the tubing with small scissors (in a straight line) so that one can place the tubing around the bridle line without having to cut or redo the bridle. The aquarium tubing should be positioned such that the top of it is about a half of an inch above the lower spreader when the upper outhaul is pulled straight down towards the lower spreader; the rest should extend below the lower spreader. (If you do not care for this aquaticbridleidea you can use the tubing to start a nice, new aquarium :wink: ; i have 5.)

from Stephen Crane:

There were many who went in huddled procession,
They knew not whither;
But, at any rate, success or calamity
Would attend all in equality.

There was one who sought a new road.
He went into direful thickets.
And ultimately he died thus, alone;
but they said he had courage.
Last edited by Knoted4ever on Sat, Mar 22 2008, 12:49 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Kitehead

Re: Fraying And Being Afraid...

Postby Kitehead » Sat, Mar 22 2008, 08:23 PM

All that trouble for a piece of bridle line? :roll: :-)
Allen Carter

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Mar 22 2008, 11:00 PM

Kitehead wrote:All that trouble for a piece of bridle line? :roll: :-)

Otherwise... mine get eaten up like cotton-candy at the State Fair. :roll:
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Mon, Mar 24 2008, 05:43 PM

The new Soul from Flying Wings comes with the tubing already installed on the bridle lines. Very nice touch. :)

Great tips for keeping your bridle lines in good shape.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Mar 28 2008, 10:33 PM

i've been experimenting... and have recently tried black electrical tape exclusively (without any type of tubing)... for what is applied directly to the actual bridle line. i twirled the tape around the bridle line as i kept the bridle line very taut; this takes some practice to do well... but once you get the hang of it, it is easy! It seems superior to the aquarium tubing, in that it is more flexible and does not weigh as much. One has to wrap it around the bridle line very tightly... or it will not adhere to the line and it will not function properly. When it is applied correctly, it appears to be extremely durable (and i like it)!

Mummifying your bridle line is easy! :wink:

Works great on mother-in-laws too! :wink:
Last edited by Knoted4ever on Fri, Mar 28 2008, 10:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Tom P.

Return to “Dual Line Kites”