Light wind kite

All about Dual Line Kiting.
Hector Herrera

Re: Light Wind Kite

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Mar 17 2008, 08:13 PM

The title of this post is Light Wind Kite...I was refering more to a NO WIND kite. Just like a couple of weeks ago , there were a few thousands of dollars laying on the sand because there was no wind at all.
Pro dancer was the only one flying, and what I would like to have is a nice BIG WING SPAN kite, able to do tricks, like axels, flick flacks and fades, 540's; just those 4 moves will make me happy. And I mean NO WIND at all.
I think I am going to mess with my Pro Dancer a bit, something like deeper wing tunnel, a very small weight on the tail and so on. who knows I may be able to make it tricky.

(I do have an excelent indoor kite. "The Y2, sent to me by Gustavo Disi from Argentina". I have not been able to fly this kite as much as want, and soon I will dedicate more time to it.)
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 11:12 AM

The PDSUL is never gonna pancake to fade. It can be brought into a fade from an axle, but it ain't easy. Once in a fade it's tough to get out. Nice axles & 540s, though. 540s take a specailly touch.

"BIG WING SPAN kite, able to do tricks, like axels, flick flacks and fades, 540's; just those 4 moves will make me happy. And I mean NO WIND at all."

Most kites that are relatively easy to fly in zero wind have a hard time with pitch tricks like the flick flack. The more you get of that kind of capability, the harder you'll have to work to keep the thing in the air.

My favorite kites that mostly fit your description are:

PBSK Vanishing Point
PBSK AerZero
Prism Vapor.

The VP does axels & 540s like no other. This kite goes into a fade great, but needs a lot of sky to pancake out. So you can do flick flacks, they are just really slow and require a lot of rise in the fade. more of a fade-flack.

The AerZero is essentially a scaled down VP. Not a whole lot smaller, but the change makes it much quicker. The pancake to fade thing is better. Not as effortless to fly in zero wind.

The Vapor offers a really excellent ballance. The design makes it trick better than the PBSKs and it is very light. I generally like flying the VP better, but the Vapor is a much more well rounded kite. I just bought one last week. :-D

The Vapor is made partly from this very thin mylar, almost like plastic food wrap. Works great, but it doesn't have the feel (or look) of real sail cloth

Those are my favorites but they are very old skool. I'm sure there are more modern kites that will do more tricks. Likely they won't be as easy to keep in the air, though.
Last edited by Kitehead on Tue, Mar 18 2008, 11:14 AM, edited 3 times in total.
Allen Carter

takoboy

Postby takoboy » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 11:39 AM

I really like my Ultralight BlueMoon Mamba. It flies just like my Standard Mamba, only in lighter wind. I haven't flown a better ultralight kite, especially one that handles the same way the standard does.

As far as tricks, even though it is an ultralight, it will do everything the standard kite does. I think it's important to find a kite you like and stick with it so that you can really get to know it and it's abilities.

The ultralight Mamba is not an indoor kite, but it is beautiful in anything from 0 - 5.

Zach

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:19 PM

Chris wrote:What would be a good light wind kite for a new dual line flier?

I think we need a little more information.

Are you looking for a light wind kite? At least 3 mph of wind.

Or an indoor/ zero wind kite? 0- 3 mph wind.

What is the budget on this?

How new is the flyer?

For very new pilots I'm thinking durable and reletivley inexpensive.

I still would recomend the Easy Light for a light wind kite.

I would recomend the Sweety, Indoor Wren for indoor or zero wind flying.
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Tue, Mar 18 2008, 12:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 07:02 PM

When the winds totally drop to nothing, my Benson [strike]Deep Space[/strike] Inner Space comes out of the bag. It will usually fly when nothing else will get in the air.

Kite name corrected. :)
Last edited by awindofchange on Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 09:21 PM

Benson Deep Space in No wind at all???
I was reading Kitehead post about DS flying with no weights and no upper Sreader.
( A lot of people fly the DS in very low wind with no weights and the upper spreader removed. ) It says "Low Winds" not "no winds at all. (When the winds totally drop to nothing)

Hmmm...I'm gonna have to try that one. I noticed in the past that if BS has no weights is not easy to put it fade...???
Anyway, I am gonna try next time. If not, then, I am going to continue improving my very own "Fangs" Kite .
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Wed, Mar 19 2008, 11:16 PM

awindofchange wrote:When the winds totally drop to nothing, my Benson Deep Space comes out of the bag. It will usually fly when nothing else will get in the air.

Maybe the InnerSpace? a great SUL.

I'd say folks fly the DeepSpace down in the 2s and 3s with practice.
Allen Carter

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Thu, Mar 20 2008, 12:40 PM

My BAD!!! The INNER SPACE, not the deep space. Thanks for correcting me. :up:
Happy Winds!

Kent

www.awindofchange.com

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Mar 20 2008, 08:24 PM

I am gonna mess with my own DUAL KITE DESIGN next week end. Everything is so expensive...!!!

http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=956

Hmmm...let see...smaller wing span...Deeper tunnel... turbo bridles a very small weight on the tail...PERFECT. :up: :-D

One thing is for sure, I can not be making several prototypes, like big companies do, for me it is... one good one and that's IT.
cannot afford for more.
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Thu, Mar 20 2008, 08:27 PM, edited 1 time in total.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Mar 20 2008, 09:42 PM

Good luck, Hector! You are getting better and better with that sewing machine... so you may just come up with a real winner! :!: Fangs looked good! i hope you come up with something really special! :wink:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “Dual Line Kites”