circle hemming

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Frodos Majik

circle hemming

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:39 PM

Whats the best why to hem circles out of ripstop? Or is hot cutting it good enough?

I am doing a double foil sled and it calls for two circles in each panel around 19in in diameter near the tail end.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Grant L

Re: Circle Hemming

Postby Grant L » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:46 PM

Hemming circles is tuff. If it kite ripstop, I would imagine that just hot-cutting would be enough :-D

Frodos Majik

Re: circle hemming

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:58 PM

Still working with the old tent material I have. Would I be better off cutting a long strip of material and just fold it in half. Then just form it around as I go?

Ken

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 21 2006, 08:02 AM

It depends on how stretchy the material is and how much it frays on the edges.

If if frays easily, then you will not only want to hem it, you will also need to fold the hemming strip twice so that the exposed edges are hidden underneath (fold it in half, unfold, then fold the edges inside to the fold). If you cut the hemming strip at an angle to the edges of the material (called on the "bias" , then it will stretch more easily and be easier to sew around the circle.

As you can see, if you can get away with just hot-cutting, that's what I would do.

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Tue, Nov 21 2006, 07:30 PM

I agree with Grant , hot cutting would be enough. But, if you feel you need to reinforce the area, try this.

Use some dacron or rip stop tape and make a circular patch out it, of course larger than the vent hole itself. place it over the vent on each side and sew it into place. After you've finished sewing, make a template the size of the hole and use it to open up the hole. There you are, heat sealed and sewn into place. You can also do this in the form of applique. Let's say some spikes around each hole, sew the patern into place also stitching around the vent hole. Now it looks even cooler

Banshee

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Nov 21 2006, 11:24 PM

Well the judges have spoken and hot cutting it is, to start with. On the maiden voyage if it frays, then I will try one of the other suggestions. (and the circles are only 9in not 19ins.)

Thanks everybody. :up:

Ken

breath on you.

-------

Ken

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Tue, Nov 21 2006, 11:39 PM

I'm glad that you corrected the size of your vents, I thought man, that's a big kite. smart choice to hot cut, less work and it should be no problem as far as fraying

banshee

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Nov 22 2006, 07:33 AM

Note, Ken's not using kite ripstop, he's using material from an old tent, some of which is pretty stretchy. There is a fray test that someone over at Kitebuilder often recommends. Tye a piece of the material to your car antenna and drive around with it for a few days....

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Thu, Nov 23 2006, 12:39 AM

That's awsome Mike, Ha, Bet that would be a great way to test... Not so much for me though driving 4 to 500 miles per day at 65...
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Thu, Nov 23 2006, 08:34 AM

He can do the same sewing with the tent material as he would with r/s

Happy T Day

banshee

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Nov 23 2006, 12:57 PM

Anybody that is coming to the club fly tomorrow will see the maiden voyage. :-D Stayed up quite late last night/morning to finish it. :roll: :shock: Looks pretty good for only the 3rd sewing peice I have done!! :clap I did the hot cutting for the circles, not to happy with it, but it will do for now. I think it going to fray might try somethings tonight if I am still awake after all the turkey. :lol:

Looking forward to hopefully meeting some of the new members!! :up:

Ken

P.S. Happy Turkey Day to ALL.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Nov 23 2006, 02:04 PM

Sweet, Ken :up: Looking forward to it's maiden flight. I am bringing my camera tommorrow, so everyone will see pics!!
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Nov 24 2006, 02:01 AM

Kwel Beans!! :up:

I just got done sewing some screening material around the hole to help giving it some support. Also from the same tent, boy sure am getting a lot of use out of that tent!! :-D 8) Looks very promising. Cannot wait to try it out!! :mrviolet:

Ken

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Nov 24 2006, 08:56 PM

The maiden voyage was a HUGE SUCCESS!!! :bash: :wohow: :wohow: :bash: Woo Hoo!!! Had good winds all day average around 8/10 mph an hour and no signs of stress anywhere. As soon as Chris posts the pictures of the fly today you will see the kites in flight.

Again thanks for all the info from everybody!! :up:

Ken

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “Sewing”