IKE Visitors Map

New additions and enhancements will be announced and discussed here.
Babbman

IKE Visitors Map

Postby Babbman » Tue, Mar 11 2008, 11:41 PM

I've been playing with some google map code and between the people who developed this great forum software and some customization of my own, I dropped an interesting map on the Home page of the forum.

At the bottom of the page is a google map and on that map is the approximate location of people who are visiting the forums. This is all based on IP addresses and the actual location is determined by where the IP has been registered. For example, my marker is located about 5 miles from where I actually live since my IP is registered with Comcast and the Comcast address is what's listed in the database that generates the placement of the markers. Same for everyone.

It's actually quite interesting to see where in the world people are coming from. Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell why they are visiting though... kite enthusiasts? hackers?... who knows... but, it's fun to look at and we welcome anyone interesting in kiting to join us!

I took the liberty of changing the standard google marker and substituted something a little more familiar to all of us.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Re: IKE Visitors Map

Postby Jeff » Wed, Mar 12 2008, 12:19 AM

Very cool.

You can make pretty good guesses on who some of those are.

Hey Isaac...Internet Explorer is tired. Try Firefox for a change. :P
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Kitehead

Postby Kitehead » Wed, Mar 12 2008, 03:28 PM

Neat!

How often does it refresh, or in other words how much time does it represent? Real time? Visits per week?
Allen Carter

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Mar 12 2008, 04:46 PM

Kitehead wrote:Neat!

How often does it refresh, or in other words how much time does it represent? Real time? Visits per week?

Thanks!

Right now, it's the last 200 visitors... I have no idea the load on the server or on on page generation time but I'll keep a watch on it and see if I can just have it be a running history.

I have it set to ignore bots and it only adds to the database if the address is unique so I should be able to just let it go...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Mar 12 2008, 10:19 PM

Interesting! :up:

Probably they're mostly hackers; next they'll be coming at our kites with axes (being the true hackers that they are).
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Mar 12 2008, 11:36 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:Interesting! :up:

Probably they're mostly hackers; next they'll be coming at our kites with axes (being the true hackers that they are).

Actually, according to my anti-hacker software built into the board, I would say that maybe 9 of the 240+ hits are hackers... the rest seem to be legitimate... or are at least, not trying to hack into the system... or they are so good that my software doesn't recognize what they are doing... :shock:

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Mar 12 2008, 11:39 PM

I added a couple of controls to the Visitors map..

DragZoom - Click the happy faced magnifying glass, then click and drag on the map to zoom in. You can zoom as much as you want until you click the magnifying glass again to turn it off

A window at the bottom right to move the map around.

More maybe at another time. I think it's done for now... Once the red/black wave has covered all the land masses, our mission will be accomplished and IKE will rule. :up:

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “Forum Enhancements”