Rev Docking

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Mike

Rev Docking

Postby Mike » Fri, Feb 29 2008, 11:41 AM

While at Kite Party, Mike S. took some photos of docked Revs. Pretty interesting.

Jim Foster

Re: Rev Docking

Postby Jim Foster » Fri, Feb 29 2008, 11:04 PM

WOW Mike..

Those photos tell a great story. Sometimes when Lynn and I are docked, we try to fly around the sky while staying docked. We thought the kites were touching. Seeing that they are not, perhaps it will make it easier to fly as one. What if the lead kite stears with the forward lines and the trailing kite stears with the reverse lines, trying to fly as one. Will that be better? What do you think.

We are headed for San Diego tomorrow. We'll give it a try.
Last edited by Jim Foster on Fri, Feb 29 2008, 11:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Mar 01 2008, 01:00 AM

I too thought the kites were touching, trailing points to leading edge. Pretty wild to see that its the lines to the points on the leading edge.

Now the illusion is ruined. :(
Thanks Mike. :roll: :lol:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Mar 01 2008, 07:17 AM

It's another reason why it's best for the audience to be right behind us

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Sat, Mar 01 2008, 07:33 AM

Those are really interesting pics.

So that explains the click you feel when the kite locks in.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Mar 01 2008, 10:10 AM

oh, if I remember correctly, starting from the lead kite, the fliers were
Bean
Me
Jim Foster
Lynn Foster

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sat, Mar 01 2008, 10:24 PM

Mike

You have the order right.

Interesting thing....If you look at the first photo, it looks like my kite is a little high, not lined up exactly with yours. However, the second photo shows it in exactly the right place. Lynn's kite is two or three inches too far forward. Perhaps this is what causes docking kites to sometimes have trouble. Could the second kite pressing too hard on the first kite's reverse lines perhaps cause the first kite to back up behind the second kite? This has happened to Lynn and I many times. What to you think?

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 02 2008, 09:36 AM

Jim Foster wrote:Mike

You have the order right.

Interesting thing....If you look at the first photo, it looks like my kite is a little high, not lined up exactly with yours. However, the second photo shows it in exactly the right place. Lynn's kite is two or three inches too far forward. Perhaps this is what causes docking kites to sometimes have trouble. Could the second kite pressing too hard on the first kite's reverse lines perhaps cause the first kite to back up behind the second kite? This has happened to Lynn and I many times. What to you think?

The docking actually came apart and was put back together between the first and second photos so they aren't exactly the same. There is also another photo taken after the one shown in which Lynn is locked right on. I chose this one because it showed my "unlocked" position better.

When the kites are docked, the lead kite usually has to apply some reverse to hold the back kite in place and counteract the pressure on the bridle. If the kites are on the right bit of the bridle, the lead kite shouldn't be able to back up (see 2nd photo). I think it's when the second kite is not properly docked (like mine in the third photo) that problems start.

Next time your out with Lynn you can experiment for us. I think the best procedure is for the back kite to physically take a step backwards and then align it's vertical spars with the lead kites vertical spars (which are actually horizontal right now). Then take a step forward and slide the kite a little forward and into position.

Looking at the photos, it seems we're aiming for locking the vertical spar of the back kite against the bottom bridle and brake line of the lead kite.

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Sun, Mar 02 2008, 10:30 AM

This would be a good topic to link over at Rev Kites.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Mar 02 2008, 10:41 AM

TeamTrejo wrote:This would be a good topic to link over at Rev Kites.

You can link to this page if you like.

I've just been looking at site statistics and Revkites has generated 12,658 hits to our forum. More than any other single site.
If you're curious, GWTW is next and then a UK forum, then Kitelife and Kitebuilder.
Also some hits from folks translating our site into German and French and few hits from other misc forums.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Mar 02 2008, 10:55 AM

Lynn and I went to San Diego to fly yesterday. We were going to play with docking, but the wind was a little light, and we spent most of our time teaching Kathy King how to set up and get into the air. She did OK for her first time, but got very cold, so gave up for the day. Her husband Tom, on the other hand, flew the whole time. He is picking it up very fast. He doesn't "own his hover" yet, but he certainly has made a large down payment. After his next time or two I think he will be ready for some "togetherness".

We will play with docking next time.

It's really something. No matter how much you think you know or how good you think you fly, there is always something to work on, or to learn.

What a fun hobby!
Last edited by Jim Foster on Sun, Mar 02 2008, 10:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Quad Line Kites”