MAKR 2008

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Barbara

MAKR 2008

Postby Barbara » Wed, Nov 21 2007, 02:56 PM

Almost all the information about MAKR 2008 is posted on the web site, www.makr.info. Al Sparling does a great job for us!
What is left is information about our friday night activity. Bill Grice is doing a quick class on building boomerangs. Be ready to sand and paint!
Oh, and the schedule. I've been struggling with it. How to balance sewing and non sewing classes, where to squeeze everyone in, how big are the projects and classrooms, how many will want to take the class. Not a pretty sight! It won't be too much longer. Maybe since I'm not cooking on Thursday all the problems will magically solve themselves?
The goal is still to open registration on 12/15. Fee is once again $125 plus kit fees for the classes. Pick out a class or two and put them on your Christmas list. Let the relatives help pay for your fun, instead of giving you something useless like a screwdriver or skillet.
Barbara

Draftnik

Re: MAKR 2008

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 08:52 AM

MAKR 08 Envelope Project starts Friday. Phone calls and creative juices are flowing freely here. Expect the wine will too! :lol:
TTFN,
Draftnik

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Nov 29 2007, 09:22 AM

Who's going?
I'm thinking about it. The classes I'm looking at: the 10' Diamond, the Fandango banner and the Jolly Boat. Maybe the Aeolian Harp.

Oops, there's a pirate theme. I should have said:
Arrrr, I be thinkin' about it, matey.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Nov 29 2007, 12:08 PM

This is too close to Kite Party for me in terms of time and especially money. Can't do both... So I will be choosing Kite Party this year.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Nov 29 2007, 10:41 PM

I Shiver me Timbers, Shipmate Babbman guna WALK the PLANK!!!!!

I understand, We always need some scurvy dog to KLEAN the POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl :rotfl

Capitan Ken has not quite decided on which classes yet. I, the fandango banner looking might tasty though! :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Nov 29 2007, 11:34 PM

Frodos Majik wrote:
I understand, We always need some scurvy dog to KLEAN the POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl :rotfl

If I had the energy right now, I'd come up with something funny... but I too drained from this last week..

But watch out come Monday!

lol... good one Ken...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Fri, Nov 30 2007, 04:38 PM

Anne and I are planing on going but we have know idea what class we are taking :pirate:

Mike

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Sat, Dec 01 2007, 01:42 AM

backdraft wrote:Anne and I are planing on going but we have know idea what class we are taking :pirate:

Mike

Well, make a Skyak, or two! They look "purdy" in groups. Aaarghhh, Matey!

Oh yes, they can be easily converted into rockets, or other things.
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Mon, Dec 17 2007, 07:26 PM

Me Genki envelope hit the waves near high sun two days past. It will be good fer me to see some of you bloody Mongrels come the weekend before the Ides of March. Until then you scurvy belly rats, hoist an Ale to me.

Captain Banshee
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Dec 18 2007, 12:08 AM

hoist an Ale to me.

I Captain Banshee here is MUD in your Eye.

I My little Kite Collage Schooner has hit the high seas in a race to beat you to the X on thee Ol' map. Might I say the winds are a strong on me Ol' back. ARRRRRRR!!! :twisted:

Master of the Seas
Captain Ken :piratecap:

Barbara

Postby Barbara » Wed, Dec 26 2007, 09:49 PM

Thanks to all who sent their registration forms in already. I have been pleasantly surprised at how many have already registered. Way more than normal.
Confirmation emails will go out early next week. So far, no one has to worry about full classes, but that may change soon.
Our goal is 75 people for our 20th anniversary, and we are well on the way to hitting that goal.
I hope the IKE club is still thinking about doing something special to support the effort.
Looking forward to seeing many of you there.
Otherwise, I'll see you at the Clear Lake festival of Color the Wind on 2/17, and possibly Door County on 2/10. The MN group always has a fly and pot luck on Jan 1, you're all welcome if you happen to be coming the the Mpls area.
Barbara

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Jan 05 2008, 08:57 AM

We got our schedules yesterday. MAKR here we come!

Here's Barbs suggestions from last year. These are things she suggested we could do as a club to help out.

Make a kite for the raffle
Make feathers for everyone
Make miniture kites with the club logo
Set out info about your club in the dining hall to invite everyone to your flys.
Let us know if you have large sheets of glass that you could loan for hot cutting in the classrooms.
Provide food for late night munchies.
Encourage others to come, and to register early. (Can I get a big stick for this?)
Participate in all the goofy games.
Send an actual thank you note by snail mail to every teacher that did a great class.
Help with airport pick up.
Host one or two instructors if they would like to stay and visit a few days before or after?
Bring a sewing machine to loan to the travelers.

JJ and I are able/willing to help out where we can. We have 2 old machines to loan. One's a 1660-70ish? Montgomery Wards embiordery machine, and the other is a 1968 Singer. I'd be willing to run a hospitality area in the Eagles Nest? and keep it stocked with munchies. Airport pickup is a possiblity, and we'd host a guest, if they're willing to rough it in a small home.

(Can you tell I'm excited?!)
Last edited by Draftnik on Sat, Jan 05 2008, 08:59 AM, edited 2 times in total.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Jan 05 2008, 04:10 PM

Yes I also got my enlistment papers yesterday too. :up:
Excited does not even start to describe my feelings. :mrgreen:
Going to be such a SWASHBUCKLING time!! :twisted:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Jan 05 2008, 07:21 PM

Al,

Are you coming to MAKR?
TTFN,

Draftnik

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Sat, Jan 05 2008, 08:59 PM

Wow, this sounds really neat! Does this include all the meals and lodging?

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 05 2008, 09:48 PM

Roxy,
yes it does. In addition to the very reasonable fee you pay for food and lodging, you pay for each class you take, directly to the teacher of the class.
The sleeping arrangement is dormitory style. When I went there were 4 guys in a room built for 8 so there was plenty of room. People generally rave about the food.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Jan 05 2008, 09:52 PM

Yes Roxy the cost of $125 covers room and board. You only need to have extra cash for the classes you choose to take and that will very from a few dollars to a lot of dollars.

What to look more into it go to...
www.makr.info

Mike you are too quick. :lol:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jan 05 2008, 09:59 PM

Frodos Majik wrote:...
Mike you are too quick. :lol:

That's what she said.

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Sat, Jan 05 2008, 10:02 PM

Roxy:

Yes, the food is wonderful and the lodging provides interesting opportunities to learn more about your fellow kite makers than you may really want to know..... :shock:

Actually, it's dorm style lodging but the beds are comfortable and you don't have to sleep on the top bunk (unless you really want to)! Get plenty of sleep before hand, many people choose to stay up late finishing projects.

Mrs Drachenschwanz and I got our confirmations also, the same day her sewing machine bit the dust. Speaking of sewing machines, I'm surprised JJ hasn't posted 8 X10 glossy pictures of the new love in his life!

There should be some really cool new kites on display this year! I'm really looking forward to seeing if I have what it takes to do 3 sewing projects in one weekend. Maybe we'll have to have an after party to finish things off like last year.
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Sun, Jan 06 2008, 12:04 PM

Drachenschwanz wrote:Mrs Drachenschwanz and I got our confirmations also, the same day her sewing machine bit the dust. Speaking of sewing machines, I'm surprised JJ hasn't posted 8 X10 glossy pictures of the new love in his life!

Ooof! Her machine is dead? She's welcome to use JJ's old one.

JJ has a new-to-him Viking. I tell you that guy is living right to have that thing given to him! I'M surpised he's not been bringing it to bed with him!! :wink:
TTFN,

Draftnik

Return to “General Discussion”