IKE Promo - Version 2

General conversation and discussion about the IKE Club.
Jeff

IKE Promo - Version 2

Postby Jeff » Mon, Nov 26 2007, 07:39 PM

I had long promised to recut the original promo I did in the spring with some fair weather footage. Well, I've finally gotten around to it. Here is a new version. I think I need to tweak it a bit more, but I thought it was good enough to post.

[googlevideo]3383376241899426197[/googlevideo]
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

brownssl

Re: IKE Promo - Version 2

Postby brownssl » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 12:25 AM

nice very nice

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 07:02 AM

woo hoo! I like it!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 08:14 AM

Very nice Jeff!
TTFN,
Draftnik

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 08:33 AM

way nice and to the point!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 08:53 AM

(now that we are a team, our blender is looking better now though)

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 09:03 PM

Great job Jeff! I must admit though, I'm not a big fan of the generic music :oops:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 09:24 PM

Nice job Jeff!

Sorry Chris but Krissy likes the music. :P :lol:

Mike I think you meant to say Benefits not Blender. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 09:24 PM

Chris wrote:Great job Jeff! I must admit though, I'm not a big fan of the generic music :oops:

I can understand that, and actually I'd like to use "popular" music...but I'm kind of a fan of staying on the right side of the law. :shock:

Every time you put music to video, you need 2 separate licenses...a master use license and a synchronization license. I've looked into that quite a bit, and it's pretty much impossible to get, and way too expensive. Thousands of dollars. You might notice in some of the other videos, there are snippets of popular music, but only what is playing in the actual background in the video, and not the complete pieces. (Well, there is one exception to even that... :oops: ) Even that is a big gray area, though. The record label for Prince recently sued someone that posted video on the internet of their kid dancing to a Prince song that was playing in the background. Not music edited in, it was just in the background of the video.

There are a lot of people out there that are technically in violation, and are getting away with it just because the enforcement really isn't happening that much. The RIAA is concentrating their lawyers on file sharing right now. But who knows when that will turn... Better safe than sorry. There are some businesses that are trying to get major labels to license music more reasonably specifically for videographers and small-timers, and they would be kind of a clearing house for the licensing, but none of them have deals with the big labels yet. Maybe sometime soon it will happen...

Until then, anything that we post or use as a club for our own promotional purposes should really stay pretty squeaky clean.

IKE is on Image too!

Mux11

Postby Mux11 » Mon, Dec 03 2007, 03:44 PM

Jeff, Oh Yeah the copyright thing is a fun one. As an independent producer for the last 7-8 years many of the associations I belong/belonged to had this as the top issue.

Although not to be ignored as many of us would use common sense when putting together projects for clients, I did hundreds of photo videos with lots of music, but it is like you said the likelihood that they would come after the 'Little guy' was rare.

Although it wasn’t that it was 'never', early nineties a wedding Videographer in NY got prosecuted by Sony, i believe, and was sent though the ringer to where I think they were looking to set an example for the rest of us to know they could come after us.
Any Who, this is often times a topic that is and gets very interesting especially with producers, lawyers and booze (which I think kept people from getting to hot under the collar).
enjoy.

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Dec 03 2007, 05:02 PM

I think this copyright thing has gotten WAY out of hand (thanks Lars :evil: ) Just visit www.olga.net. It's a tab site I used to go to all the time when I was teaching myself to play guitar.(still have the guitar....looks nice on my wall :oops: )
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Dec 03 2007, 05:17 PM

I remember Olga. I used that site too...

I actually don't have a problem with the owners of copyrights enjoying the results of their creations, but it is just ridiculous both in amount of money and bureaucracy that it takes to deal with the system. I think an easy to access system with reasonable costs would tap into an additional revenue source that the artists (or labels) would benefit greatly from. That industry is just going to drive itself into the ground. Or get pushed aside by artists who don't need record labels for distribution anymore.

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Dec 03 2007, 09:47 PM

Jeff wrote:I remember Olga. I used that site too...

I think an easy to access system with reasonable costs would tap into an additional revenue source that the artists (or labels) would benefit greatly from. That industry is just going to drive itself into the ground. Or get pushed aside by artists who don't need record labels for distribution anymore.

got that right... we use ALOT of Christian music in our videos at church. Fortunately, we have permission to use most of it. Some music that's used for reflective videos or other things that don't generate profit, we just use.

for Drumshow, I started writing my own music for it... Makes copyright easy...

The entire music industry is years behind the times and yes, it will run itself into the ground. They totally ignored the electronic distribution mechanism and are paying for it. If in the beginning, they used their heads and embraced the technology instead of fighting it and damning it to hell and profit. They really had a golden opportunity to define it all and make music something that everyone could afford and something they could make a profit on that was reasonable. But they didn't and they are going to pay for it. Quite honestly, I hope they do and if the record labels go under, I will not complain one bit. In fact, I'll cheer it loudly and musically.

The artist are screwed at every turn and it has absolutely nothing to do with them any more. It's all about corporate profits.

Why do you think you don't hear that much recognizable music on TV and in commercials? The independent artists are THROWING their music out there for that use and they are being compensated for it and getting to keep their profits. Plus, the music is just plain GOOD, while the mainstream music industry is nothing but absolute and total crap for the ears.

Artists do not need the backing of a large music corporation and their marketing departments any more. The internet can do it for them and it has the music corporations pants in a bunch. Why else would they be suing everyone in sight and going after grandmothers and other people with ridiculous fines that they can never collect on? Do they think that people are going to like them for these gestapo tactics? Nope and it is proven each and every day. They are digging their own grave and fighting the only true marketing avenue they have left to them. as well as making everyone hate them and their tactics.

Just imagine. If they had any sense, they would have put their entire catalogs up for download for 50 cents or a buck per song. There is a reason that itunes has sold over $1 billion in song sales...

There are a lot of affordable ways to provide music for videos. There are many sets of background music and loops for creative people to put together their own stuf. The only cost is the collections. Digital Juice, Sony Acid, local bands, etc are great ways to get original music without having to cough up enormous sums of money and deal with restrictive licensing agreements.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Return to “Club Discussion”