Winter Flying

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Mike

Winter Flying

Postby Mike » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 10:40 AM

The windchill this morning was around freezing and that got me to thinking.
How many of you fly in the winter? Is there such a thing as too cold?

I grew up in Southern California and even though I've lived here for about 17 years now, I've yet to fully adjust to winter.
I never used to fly in the winter except for New Years Day--I always try to start out the new year right.
But the club has got me out in the cold much more often, and I find it's OK. I just have to wear many layers and put those hotpacks in my shoes and gloves (thanks Ken).

So, how cold does it have to get before you decide you stay inside and make a kite instead?

Chris

Re: Winter Flying

Postby Chris » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 05:25 PM

It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 05:45 PM

For me, I will fly until I cannot feel my fingers... Typically, below 20 F is too cold for me but Chris and I did do -1 last year... I intend on breaking that record this year...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 07:37 PM

I fly all winter. Some the smoothest winds occur when it's super cold. It will be much easier for me this year. Duel line flying requires much more foot work which is the toughest part of flying in the snow.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 07:46 PM

Babb, 20°F is my cut-off as well.
And Isaac finds another reason why quads rule!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 08:08 PM

All winter long 4 me. 8) And guys who don't like to demolish and tear up the snow, probably, in their quaint daintiness, eat a lot of quiche.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 08:10 PM

mmmmm, quiche

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 11:11 PM

Those hot pockets work REAL WELL!!! and you dont want to eat them. UGH!!! :shock:

The thing I like about doing things in the winter is... you can ALWAYS add another layer to stay warm.

"BUT Mom I cant put my arms down!!" :kid: :cry: :cry: I DOUBLE DOG DARE you to tell me where thats from?!
No TRIPLE DOG DARE!! :kid:

But really it has to be pretty bad before I will quite, and when there are others out with me its easier to stay longer. :up:
Layers and hot coco. That all I need with my INSANE friends. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 11:15 PM

I haven't flown in the winter yet, so I can't answer. :P
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 11:18 PM

Knoted4ever wrote:All winter long 4 me. 8) And guys who don't like to demolish and tear up the snow, probably, in their quaint daintiness, eat a lot of quiche.

I EAT MEAT SNACKS.

Winter is great and as Issac said, the best winds are from now until spring...

Best thing about snow? I don't have to carry a water bottle!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Oct 25 2007, 11:32 PM

Best thing about snow? I don't have to carry a water bottle!

No, a Thermos instead. Unless you want really REALLY cold water. :roll: BBBRRRRRRRRR
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Barbara

Postby Barbara » Wed, Nov 21 2007, 02:49 PM

Two years ago at the Color the Wind festival in Clear Lake IA. (Fabulous festival, you should come.) The day started at an actual temperature of 10 below, and the high was 2 below. Not wind chill, actual temp.
At the end of the day, Jeff Hale was down on the ice unscrewing the anchors for his banners, in bare hands. Jeff, why don't you have on gloves? They were $90 and I don't want to wreck them! Sure, OK.
Each year the MN group gets together for a pot luck on New Year's day, one year we had 80 below wind chill.
Guess what I'm saying is, if it's a festival, no matter the temp, we'll be there---just for fun, well maybe to test a new kite.
Barbara

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Nov 21 2007, 11:34 PM

80 below wind chill! :shock: ... now that's dedication! :mrblue:

from Issa (1818):

Seen even in a favorable way
My figure
An air of miserable cold.
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Nov 22 2007, 05:53 AM

Knoted4ever wrote:80 below wind chill! :shock: ... now that's dedication! :mrblue:

From this Southern California born boy-- that's insane!

I remember buying gas in MN once. It was way below zero so I stopped the car by the gas pump and came up with a whole plan of attack. I had my credit card out and my gloves on, scarf wrapped around my neck, hat snugged down, pulled the release for the gas cap, took several deep breaths and leaped out of the car, doing everything as quickly as I could and jumping back in the car while the tank filled. I was plain frozen! Then I looked out the window of my car and could see the locals standing around talking with their jackets unzipped while they filled their tanks.
Those MN folks are hardy folks!
But still a little insane!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, Nov 22 2007, 07:41 AM

Barbara wrote:Two years ago at the Color the Wind festival in Clear Lake IA. (Fabulous festival, you should come.) The day started at an actual temperature of 10 below, and the high was 2 below. Not wind chill, actual temp.
Barbara

Now Barbara, the NWS temps were not that bad. At 9 am when we got out there it was -9 and at 5 pm when we go off the ice it was 5 above. It stuck in my mind because of the 9/-9 and 5/5. It may also have been that my beard was full of ice including what someone dubbed "snotsicles" under my nose. :shock: (no grossed out emoticon available)
Alan Sparling

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Fri, Nov 23 2007, 11:57 PM

When the temp. hits 45 F. I head for the basement and hit the sewing machine!

Sometimes when I finish a new kite to test, I may bo out in 40 F for maybe 10 minutes of air time. Then back into the heated van to warm up, and head for the house. :oops:
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Nov 24 2007, 11:46 PM

i was out a lot today with just a thin jacket on, though it was pretty darn chilly. Flew for a while at a local field... and did a lot of outdoor yard work. The worst thing was cleaning the oak leaves out of the gutters. The wind-chill up on the roof was no fun; and there were tons of leaves which took quite a while. Today, my mind is in the gutter! :up:
Tom P.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Sun, Nov 25 2007, 12:20 AM

I guess it has to get pretty cold to stop us from flying. Here are pictures of Me, Nick and Zack flying on Thanksgiving Day in Oregon, IL. It was 25 degrees and there was snow on the ground.

Mike

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Nov 27 2007, 08:41 AM

Lots of tips and tricks fly around this time of year for staying warm outside in fridgid temps. Layering on the outside as well as the inside is a good idea. Eating fatty foods stokes the inner furnaces and helps keep energy levels up to deal with the cold. While butter and bacon are probably the best fuels, nuts and avacados will also help to keep a body warm.

Winter flying is not the time to slack on decent meals.

(This 2 second lecture brought to you by a Mom.) :wink:
TTFN,
Draftnik

burton31

Postby burton31 » Fri, Jan 04 2008, 09:03 PM

we tried to fly weldy's new kite, a micron on new year's eve before dark and in the snowstorm. could not get enough wind speed to keep it in the air. hopefully this weekend. thanks for the tips mom!! i am glad to see someone is watching over us.

Return to “General Discussion”