Jacob's Ladder

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Knoted4ever

Jacob's Ladder

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 10:19 PM

One of my favorite kite tricks is called the Jacob's Ladder.

from Andy Wardley's web site:
*****************************************************************************************
Jacob's Ladder. From a fade, this is half a backspin or barrel roll, followed by a back flip, half a lazy susan, then flip up back into the fade for the next back spin or barrel roll. For it to be a real, proper Jacob's Ladder, you absolutely have to go both ways. Otherwise it's just a multiple half-ladder, which is still pretty impressive, but not the whole thing.

Incidentally, this trick was invented by Tim Benson around 1999, although others claim to have independently invented it (as is often the case). I was watching him doing it at the 1999 kite festival on Weston Super-Mare beach and was instantly reminded of the toy called the Jacob's Ladder made of blocks of wood that always appear to be tumbling down but never actually going anywhere. So that's where the name came from, and although others may have come up with the same idea, that was when the Jacob's Ladder was born. Tim gave birth to it and I named it. A Jacob's Ladder is also the name for the cool lightning machines you see in old Frankenstein-type films where sparks of electricity rise up between two wires. Either way, it's a cool name. Now get out there and practice it!
**************************************************************************************

Jacob's Ladders are extremely cool! 8) Some were being done near the local grade school today after work; they are a lot of pure fun... and look decent as far as tricks go! They are repeated, in Permanent Waves.

From the rock group Rush (words by Neil Peart, music by Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson):

Jacob's Ladder

The clouds prepare for battle
In the dark and brooding silence
Bruised and sullen stormclouds
Have the light of day obscured
Looming low and ominous
In twilight premature
Thunderheads are rumbling
In a distant overture

All at once,
The clouds are parted
Light streams down
In bright unbroken beams

Follow mens eyes
As they look to the skies
The shifting shafts of shining
Weave the fabric of their dreams...
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Jeff

Re: Jacob's Ladder

Postby Jeff » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 10:35 PM

Here's a Jacob's Ladder video tutorial...

http://www.sportkiteflyer.com/Randyg_Ja ... torial.wmv
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Sat, Nov 03 2007, 11:24 PM

A Jscobs Ladder is what I get when I unwrap my quad lines to get ready to fly...an hour later!!! :oops:
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Nov 04 2007, 05:20 AM

kiteguy wrote:A Jscobs Ladder is what I get when I unwrap my quad lines to get ready to fly...an hour later!!! :oops:

If you want, next time we meet, I can show you how to keep that from ever happening again.

Return to “General Discussion”