2008 Kite Party - Feb 22-24 - Huntington Beach, CA

The 2008 Kite Festival Season Archives
Babbman

Re: Kite Party - 2008

Postby Babbman » Mon, Oct 22 2007, 08:55 AM

Speaking of Kite Party...

When and where do you guys arrive/depart from and typical dates and times?

I want to book this sooner than later so that I can find no excuses to not go...lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Mon, Oct 22 2007, 10:22 AM

Last year I arrived on Friday am and departed Monday am.

That seamed to work pretty well. Most people don't arrive till the weekend. Friday was nice to have a little extra space.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 22 2007, 10:31 AM

Most of the fliers are on the beach Fri-Sun. The majority are there on the weekend.
I'll be there from the previous weekend thru the following Monday. I'll try to fly with Jim, Lynn and Hector before the official party.
It's also nice to fly in the quiet of the morning on my own. There is usually free parking available at a beach just up the road from Huntington Beach.
Sunset Beach is here. (See the empty spots in the satellite photo?) Parking at Huntington is most expensive by the pier, free if you can find a spot on the street, but you'll have to get there early to find one.

It sounds like Mike S and family will be spending the week there and visiting some of the other sites besides the beach.

I fly into whatever airport is cheapest. Anywhere from LAX to SNA. Even Ontario once or twice.

SNA (AKA Orange Country or John Wayne airport) is the closest and it is a small airport making it easy to get in and out of. It's smaller than Midway.
Maybe 20 or 25 minute drive to the beach. You can drive half of it along the coast.

LAX is a big city airport, like flying in and out of O'Hare. About 45-50 minutes away from the beach. The drive is all freeway driving but easy, just take the 405 south.

I don't have any advice on hotels. Previously folks have stayed at this Howard Johnsons that is not close to the beach, but the owner is a friend of Dave Shenkman's.

I'd check http://www.tripadvisor.com/ for ideas.

Maybe there is a beach house rental available? We could have an IKE house.

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Oct 26 2007, 07:40 AM

It it not guaranteed that iQuad will be at kite party. So :Logo180GO!: should be ready to impress the crowds!

As part of the continuing series of photos, here's a photo of Ben, taken by John Chilese, kite flown by me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Fri, Oct 26 2007, 08:19 PM

If iQuad doesn't show up, then is up us, to show what IKEr's are made out of... :lol: I am gonna get a hold of Jim and Lynn to see if we can get toghether and practice some of the moves, If we practice for the next few months, we will be in good shape. Even if iQuad comes in, (which it would be nice) we should be able to do our own show. 8)
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Oct 31 2007, 07:39 PM

Here are the fliers at Kite Party last February. I count 18 quad fliers.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Oct 31 2007, 07:50 PM

Jim Foster wrote:Here are the fliers at Kite Party last February. I count 18 quad fliers.
Jim

Even iQuad doesn't show, we're bringing in a bunch to make up for it.
Possible quad flying attendees from the Midwest:
Isaac, Ken, Me, Babb, Jeff, Zach, Nick, Mike S., Bean.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Oct 31 2007, 08:25 PM

It's looking good guys...looking forward too see you all. :revspin: :LogoRevAni: 8)
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Wed, Oct 31 2007, 11:33 PM

We may need to find a bigger Pizza parlor. :lol:

Jim

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Thu, Nov 01 2007, 11:27 PM

Jim Foster wrote:We may need to find a bigger Pizza parlor. :lol:

Jim

This is CA not Chicago, you can't get a good pizza in CA. I'm booking my flight now. I have a friend 30 mins from there, and good time of year to get some sunshine and flying in.

I'm going on a free ticket, trying to get there on Thursday and leave Monday. The picture with all the lines, oh my gosh, I'd have them all tangled. I promise not to fly near anything like that.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 03:03 AM

The family and I can't wait to go we will get there on 2-16 sat. and leave 2-25 mon. Should be a good vacation we need some ideas things that we should do while we are there.(before the kite party)

Mike

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 07:35 AM

I'll be there around the same times as backdraft.

Off the top of my head.Things to do:
Disneyland in O.C. and other theme parks in L.A., like Universal Studios.
Long Beach has a nice aquarium and is close by. Long Beach is also a hot spot for kite surfing.
Kite flying on the beach in the quiet of the morning.
Drive down to San Diego, visit the Zoo or Wild Animal Park or Sea World and also fly at the spot shown in the Rev videos.
(Maybe you want to fly into San Diego and out of Orange County.)
Fly with Jim, Lynn and Hector.
Grey Whales migrate along the coast during winter--take a Whale Watching cruise from Newport Beach Harbor (Newport is near Huntington Beach)
Take a 2 hour drive to the Palm Springs area and take the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway to the top of the mountain (10,000 feet high). For Midwesterners you get to see desert and mountains. Hiking options may be limited in winter due to snow though. Cross country ski? Probably better in the spring.
If you have any interest in nature watching, grab a pair of binoculars and visit the Bolsa Chica Preserve. Free, and right at Huntington Beach. If you have a decent sized telephoto on your camera you can get great photos.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 01:10 PM

I too will be flying out on that thursday and coming back on the following monday.( 21st -25th) In and out of LAX.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 03:37 PM

Mike

Your list of things to do is great. I might add:

A day trip to Catalina Island.
The Reagan Library complete with a tour of the old Air Force I on display.
A morning at the Peterson Automotive Museum on Wilshire Blvd, then
Lunch at the old Farmer's Market in the nearby Fairfax District of LA.
A day at Universal Studios.....take the tour.
A visit to the Queen Mary in Long Beach.
and yes, there is flying on the beach with Hector, Lynn and Jim.

The list goes on and on. It's really no wonder why millions of people come from all over the world to visit this area.

Jim

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 03:59 PM

Another idea:
If you are flying in or out of LAX and have a couple hours to spare and if you want to see the funky people on the beach, go to Venice Beach. Best on weekends. It's the California beach you see in movies with the roller bladers, jugglers, weight lifters, etc. Rose and I flew our Revs around the crowd there a couple years ago. We fit right in :-D The beach is just a little north of Los Angeles Airport.

If you go to Venice Beach, try some tamales at Tamara's Tamales. It's just a tiny place in a tiny strip mall, but they make dozens of different kinds of fresh home-made tamales there every morning. They are nothing, I repeat nothing, like the ones you get in Mexican restaurants out here.

map

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 07:40 PM

What is the best way to pack the kites / spars? I'd like to do a a carry on, but I think the length will be a problem.

The rev with the blue weave, was that a custom job? I love it!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 09:58 PM

I've taken Rev's as carryon and they fit in the overhead compartment. Duals tend be longer and not fit though.
Also, you never know what they will allow on board anymore. You might want to pack them in the luggage.

AhMayzon

Postby AhMayzon » Sat, Nov 03 2007, 11:23 PM

I've got my flights booked. Arriving on the early flight Thurs morning into Orange County, leaving Monday morning.

Is it Feb yet? :mrgreen:

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Sun, Nov 04 2007, 08:32 AM

Hi everyone!!!
Since the is kite party getting just around the corner, I was thinking about the "180 GO" Team,... would it be a good idea to have certain people at a certain position pre-stablished, or pre-positioned?
Say for instance if Mike (leader) is in place 1 and (example) Hector in place 2, that gives me, a fraccion of time to memorise the moves in that position alone...??? does it make sense, , for instance, Jim and Lynn are very good flyers and they fly next to each other, and it would be perfect for them to be next to each other and pre-positioned...??? and so for the rest of the team
Pretty soon we'll know who is gonna be here, in California. and everybody is Welcome.

Anyway, just an idea.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Nov 04 2007, 09:48 AM

Heya Hector,
Sorry, no assigned positions. Not only that, I may switch you around from day to day! It'll keep your mind active and young :twisted:
Seriously, we wont have the same people flying with us from day to day. And some people may want to go and fly one their own from time to time (including me) so the group will be changing continuously.
Hopefully, by February I will have the huevos to have decided on a core team of 4 (maybe 6) that is 180GO! Usually there are only a couple official demos at kite party, but if we wind up doing an official demo, that will be the team. The rest of the time it will be 180GO! & Friends and the size of that group will change all the time.
Except for the blender, mostly all you have to know is whether you are an odd or even number.
For the blender, we will practice it so that you can fly in any position. When I explain it in person, you will see it's not that hard.

I'll also be bringing six 2-way radios (walkie talkies) so that you'll be able to hear me. Babb may bring some as well, but if you have a 2-way radio with an ear phone that will tune in to channel 4.25 bring it along. Almost all of the radios sold will do that. The radios that have two connector jacks, one for headphones and one for microphones are the easiest because you can use your iPod headphones or any others with them. The radios with one connector jack are trickier and you'll have to make or buy a headphone just for it. (If you want more info on radios, lets start another topic--I'm hijacking this one too much already)

If iQuad does come, the radios will still be useful and maybe we will do a joint routine with iQuad. Making 3 or 4 balls and then bursting would be cool. I'll make a shirt that is half iQuad and half IKE and stand in the middle :-D

Return to “2008 Kite Festivals”