Pontiac and Naperville Club Flies: Nov 3 and Nov 11

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Mike

Pontiac and Naperville Club Flies: Nov 3 and Nov 11

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 08:30 AM

We normally have our club flies 3 or 4 weeks apart. We are going to try something a little different this time. Let's have one club fly downstate and one in the Chicago area over the next two weeks. This may reduce the number of fliers at each club fly, but may allow more people to get involved. We'll have one on a Saturday, one on a Sunday.

Both club flies will begin at 10am and go until 4:00 or so. Some people often show up much earlier and some will stay later if wind is good.

This Saturday, November 3rd we are going to have a club fly in Pontiac. It will be at the same place as the festival.
I hope to meet some Pontiac fliers and to see some of the downstate members from Decatur, Bourbonnais, Martinton, Cabery. Maybe Ken too even though he's not southern? It would be great to see any of the other Chicago fliers who can make it too, of course.

Then, the following weekend, on Sunday, November 11, we'll have a club fly in Naperville. It will be at Frontier park, where the festival was.
I hope that the Chicago area fliers can make that one. There's some faces we haven't seen in a while (DeKalb fliers?). It may even work for Milwaukee?
Also, everyone from downstate who can make it should come too.

I expect that the Pontiac fly will be mostly sport kite fliers and the Naperville fly will attract both sport kiters and some SLK fliers.

Click on Jeff's map for locations.

Mike

Re: Pontiac and Naperville Club Flies: Nov 3 and Nov 11

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 08:39 AM

Roll Call. Some of you folks, and you know who you are, don't post very often. Please post to say if you think you'll be able to make it. The more people who post they are coming, the more it encourages other people to make the drive and attend too.

Pontiac:
I will be there all day.

Naperville:
I will be driving back from Grinnell, IA on that day. I probably wont be there until 11 or 12.

TeamTrejo

Re: Pontiac And Naperville Club Flies: Nov 3 And Nov 11

Postby TeamTrejo » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 01:04 PM

Naperville sounds good.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 01:05 PM

Maybe Ken too even though he's not southern?

For most of the area flys, I am about half way all around.

I will be at Pontiac, not sure about Napervillie.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 04:50 PM

Pontiac-Probably not

Naperville-will be there all day
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Ann

Postby Ann » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 04:54 PM

Our family will not be at Pontiac. Possibly at Naperville.

Ann

burton31

Postby burton31 » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 06:26 PM

i would love to come to the one in pontiac - since i live here. but i am in the process of selling my late husband's biz and have to be out of town for the weekend. hope u do another one in pontiac again sometime

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 07:18 PM

burton31 wrote:i would love to come to the one in pontiac - since i live here. but i am in the process of selling my late husband's biz and have to be out of town for the weekend. hope u do another one in pontiac again sometime

Sorry I'll miss you. Maybe you can make the Naperville fly?

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 07:46 PM

We will be at Pontiac and we should be at Naperville unless something comes up.

Mike

burton31

Postby burton31 » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 08:34 PM

would like to meet a lot of you flyers esp all the advice helpers to this novice - but the entire weekend is tied up

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 09:27 PM

i'll probably be able to go to Pontiac (though there's a chance that i will not be able to... as there is an upcoming wake and funeral that we'll be attending... though i do not think it will occur that soon). Don't know about Naperville.

We were shocked, yesterday, to learn that our nephew passed away. He was a Marine in California (was receiving training in Special Forces), was helping with and involved in the fires, and may have been compromised by the smoke and fumes. They found him dead in his bunk Sunday morning, his lips very blue. We are awaiting autopsy results. When i received an email from his parents to call them, right then and there i knew what it meant; my mother always knew when someone was going to die or was dying; apparently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. i didn't want to hand the phone to Marla. We were at the parents' house a long while today... very emotional stuff.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

weldflash99

Postby weldflash99 » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 10:35 PM

Sorry to hear about your nephew.

I do hope you'll be able to make Pontiac. I'll have a brand spanking new E2 in my paws by then and I'd love to see somebody make it dance because I can't yet. I'd also love to see that Sea Devil fly and maybe fly it myself. I just love the look of that kite. Some hands-on tutoring would be great. I live there so I'll definitely be there.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Oct 29 2007, 10:51 PM

Welcome Aboard Weldflash99!! Looking forward to meet you on the 3rd of next month.

I understand completely with what you say about seeing your kite dancing. When you see your kite doing amazing stuff, it helps because then you know the kite can. Then it is only a matter of you learning how to give the right commands.

Knoted4ever would with out a doubt be the guy to talk to for hands on training too. He is TRULY AMAZING to watch!!! He sure can work those lines on the dualies!!! :up:

Tom so sorry to hear about your nephew! :cry:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Oct 30 2007, 07:16 AM

weldflash99: welcome to the club! Isacc (Team Trejo) is another good dual line flier he's going to try and make the Naperville fly.

Tom: my condolences, that is quite a shock.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Oct 30 2007, 09:50 AM

I will not be able to make the Pontiac fly, I will be at the Cape Fear Kite Fest in Wrightsville Beach, NC.

I expect to make the Naperville fly. I may well try to figure out how to put my Bobby Stanfield
New Star together again, it has been three or four years and I can't figure out what I did with the step by step pictures I took when it was new.

I pulled it out in the spring, fiddled with it for about five minutes and said, not today . :shock: :oops:

Al
Alan Sparling

Pkrekel

Postby Pkrekel » Tue, Oct 30 2007, 10:49 AM

I will try to make Pontiac , can not make Naperville :(

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Oct 30 2007, 10:52 AM

Well I sure would like to fly but have family things both times

www.chicagokite.com

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Oct 30 2007, 04:14 PM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:I expect to make the Naperville fly. I may well try to figure out how to put my Bobby Stanfield
New Star together again...
Al

I'm sure it will be easier with 10 other guys standing around offering their advice :-D

Have fun in N.C. and you can tell us about it at Naperville.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Oct 31 2007, 07:01 PM

Welcome to the club, Weldflash99. :welcome1: E2s are great kites for beginners! i used to own 2 of them! They are quite sharp looking!... and are great at precision flying, backspinning and a number of other things. If you are interested in any specific tricks, just ask and i can help you out; no problem. As far as flying the Sea Devil goes... it depends on your level of experience... i've had a couple of serious spar breaks and similar damage with other newbie fliers trying out my kites and am concerned about sail rip damage, etc.

Thanks regarding my nephew.

It looks like i'll be able to make it to Pontiac on Saturday. The weather looks to be pretty good for that day (so far).
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Nov 02 2007, 10:52 AM

I can do Naperville.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”