Great Lakes Kite Festival

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 04 2006, 06:25 PM

At the State Beach in Grand Haven, Michigan.
Three fantastic days. Thousands of kiters.
Big kites, sport kites, slks, fighter kite competitions, kite surfing, manufacturers reps, demos, and on Friday evening: indoor flying.
Web Site

Frodos Majik

Re: Great Lakes Kite Festival

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Nov 05 2006, 01:22 AM

A MUST do/see for any kite flier/watcher of all ages!!!! Cannot rave enough about this one!! :up: :bash: :-D :-D 8) I WILL be there the night before or as earlier as possible that friday and will be leaving (kicking and screaming) :twisted: on monday sometime. It is a beautiful beach to fly at!! 8) Counting the days: just a little more then6 months to go. WOO HOO!!!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sat, Nov 18 2006, 12:30 AM

I have enough notice on this even that I might just be able to make this one...

Thanks for the post ~D~
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 18 2006, 06:46 AM

that's great. Some of the power kiters get there on Thursday, the day before the actual festival is supposed to start. Last I heard, Ben from Revolution was planning on bringing a buggy and showing up early. During the festival it's kind of crowded for any power kiting except for surfing out on the lake.

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sun, Nov 19 2006, 02:11 AM

Do they have a butt-surfing comp? :-D

I just love all the pretty colors...

And go KNUTZ when I see some good team flying! I've never had the opportunity to even try team flight. Every time I find someone to fly with, we've got diff size rigs.
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Nov 19 2006, 07:33 AM

You can join us in some team flying in Grand Haven.
If I get organized I'm going to make up some diagrams and names for things to do as a team. Then when any number of Rev fliers meet up, we can start doing some formations and such with one guy calling the formations. I predict it's gonna be the next big thing at festivals. We'll set up a standard line length which is looking to be 120'. If all rev fliers carry a 120' line set then when they meet some other rev fliers they'll be all set. (I have 3 extra 120' lines sets to lend out, so you don't need to go get one just yet)
I hope to talk to some folks who regularly fly as a team in February at a festival in California and work out a common language and then post diagrams in March.
Stay tuned...

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Nov 19 2006, 11:42 AM

Sounds great Mike :up: :up: :thanks:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sun, Nov 19 2006, 03:01 PM

:bash: Oooh Oooh Oooh! Fun Fun... Can't wait to see the playbook! What will be the standard bag? SLE, Vented, SUL? Oh wait, you guys don't really have much need for an SUL in the bag do ya... :oops:
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 12:00 AM

On the contrary Denver, almost all of us have every one of the those kites you mention, and if not, its in the works. On the count you never ever know what ol' Ma Nature is going to throw our way. :twisted:

Last year out at G.H. we flew with all three at one point or another. On saturday, we had out the sul's in the morning, in the afternoon the reg or sle's were flown, and on sunday the winds were in the range of between 20/25mph with gusts up to 30mph. :shock:

Ken

breath on you.

-------

Ken

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 12:43 AM

Man, sounds like fun... I've got a couple more kites to buy now... I've been wanting to get a SUL, I usually just pull out the 3.6 meter foil when the wind drops that low... But then that's just for field flying by myself. The foil can be flown (with much fancy footwork) in 0 wind.

Now I've got a legit excuse to up for an SUL. I don't have a vented rig either... So much for the SLE stack, I've got to order up those others first. maybe I'll have them by spring if I'm REALLY good.
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 06:36 AM

denverberry wrote:Man, sounds like fun... I've got a couple more kites to buy now... I've been wanting to get a SUL, I usually just pull out the 3.6 meter foil when the wind drops that low... But then that's just for field flying by myself. The foil can be flown (with much fancy footwork) in 0 wind.

Now I've got a legit excuse to up for an SUL. I don't have a vented rig either... So much for the SLE stack, I've got to order up those others first. maybe I'll have them by spring if I'm REALLY good.

The SUL was the last kite I bought but should have been the 1st one I bought after learning how to fly a 1.5SLE. I have a 3M Riot which I love and used when the wind went to pot just so I could fly something. That's been replaced by the SUL.

Guys, this should be in a topic in and of itself... 'Necessary Gear For The Midwest'. I sure could have used this information when I started out.

Maybe Dave should sell a 'Midwest Festival Quad Package' containing a 1.5SUL, 1.5 Vented, 75' 90# & 120' 90# lines and a spike. The spike should be stainless steel and instead of the standard golf ball/die, should be a die with the IKE logo on all sides instead of dots... :up: Oh yeah, and an IKE windsock...lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Grant L

Postby Grant L » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:04 PM

Here is an article I did for www.kitelife.com for those who want a taste of what Grand Haven is like.
HERE
is a gallery from that same issue with some more photos. :-D

I did a bit of butt surfing myself that Sunday morning with my three-stack of Speedwings. Mike saw me from down the beach and was wondering "what's that idiot doing?" Then he came down and saw it was me. I'm not sure what he thought then :roll: :twisted:

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Nov 20 2006, 11:24 PM

I also noticed you Grant, thought to myself, that looks like it could be fun. :shock: :lol: 8)
Also loved the snowflakes you had up on saturday afternoon. Very Kwel kites :up:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Nov 23 2006, 09:53 PM

i was there last year! It was pretty neat! :-D i was fortunate to have spent a lot of time with Lam Hoac! i might be going again in '07!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 11:17 AM

This sounds like a great time...does anyone have any suggestions or tips as far as accommodations? Where do you stay when in town?

What's the "must-see" or "must-do" of the weekend?

I have a 3 year old, do you think that there is enough going on to interest her? We'd probably just do 2 days, though. I know I could spend all 3 days, but I have to think about the little one.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 11:25 AM

Hi Jeff,
The hotels fill up quick, so don't put it off!
I usually stay at the Best Western, there is also a Day's Inn.
Many kite people stay at a lodge called the Bluewater Inn. It's right across from the beach, but it's kind of a funky layout and can get pretty noisy.

The activities for a 3 year old depend on the weather. It's often warm, but last year it was freezing.
Anyway, the beach is usually fun for kids and there are often activities for kids in a big tent. The big kites can be fun to look at for a time and she can also play with Mimi, my big 'ol ground bouncer.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 12:41 PM

Hi Jeff,
Also if you are interested in camping, there is a campgrnd right in town too. Me and the wife stayed there last yr. The name of the place is Campers paradise, I think. Not to expensive and right down the street from all the Best Western.
Just another thought.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 12:47 PM

I forgot about camping. There is also camping right on the beach, though it may be full already.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Mar 15 2007, 12:49 PM

You can BET on that one, you pretty need to do that one during the fest for the following year.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”