IKE Team Name(s)

Quad, Dual Mega Team Flying thoughts and information
Draftnik

Re: IKE Team Name(s)

Postby Draftnik » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 11:07 AM

Another option is to take the images you have an turn them in for the graphic artists to play with. They may have some starving artist working at the print shop that just loves to be turned loose on a creative project and given some lisence to strut their stuff. Plus they'd have expeience in the media and could make the most use of it.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 01:28 PM

I thought it was ok, after seeing the logos that were done helped. But then I saw 180 GO!
and in my eyes there was no debate.

in case there is any confusion, I like 180 Go! better.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 07:38 PM

I almost feel like I should recuse myself since I have a horse in this race. :?

But I have a few more thoughts I wanted to add.

1. Having to explain the name. I think that either way, we're going to run into that. At the very least, many won't "get" either one, but to most, it's just not going to matter.

It may seem to us that String Theory is a common phrase that people will recognize, but I don't think we are a very representative sample of the general population. I just asked a very smart adult yesterday if they were familiar with the phrase. Not if they knew what it was, just if they had heard it, and they had not. I just look at it like the name of a band. I think most people would. Why does that band call itself Barenaked Ladies, or Foo Fighters or R.E.M. or Styx or REO Speedwagon, or whatever...? Who knows. Most don't worry about it. I've never really given any thought to why team names like Fire & Ice, or Eos or any of the others were picked. I figured they just liked it.

So in other words, it's not an issue for me either way.

2. Putting the "logo cart" before the horse. Envisioning a logo helps me see the possibilities for a name. Like Ken said, until he saw a 180 Go! logo, he wasn't too sure, but that it really added some meaning and changed his view. I can appreciate that, and that's why I've been looking at different ways that the names might be presented. Logo and name can have a very symbiotic relationship.

It's really a toss up for me between the 2 finalists. I see pros and cons for both.

String Theory is just sort of cool. It implies a logical, scientific approach. It makes me think more of precision and geometry. It plays on kite "strings" giving it that more direct connection to kites. It's a bit more dark and contemplative. The dark background logo seems to fit it well.

180 Go! is energy, enthusiasm, and fun. It looks and feels positive. It implies movement. It's bold and bright and friendly.

I am seriously just going back and forth between them without being able to decide.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 08:20 PM

Jeff wrote:I almost feel like I should recuse myself since I have a horse in this race. :?

I've never really given any thought to why team names like Fire & Ice, or Eos or any of the others were picked. I figured they just liked it.

Which is why I'd pretty much bet that there wasn't THIS much discussion or thought about logos and fonts when picking their name...

Not to be a party pooper in all this since I was the one that mentioned before that we should let the naming run for another week or so... (good thing we did though because I think that String Theory and 180 Go! both came out in this last week)

But... logos, fonts, colors, meanings, explanations, etc aside... I don't want to pick a name because it looks good in a logo... I want to pick the one that feels good to say and that in some way might represent what we are doing... either name lends itself very well to logos, font styles and incidental things added in to it. Above all, we just have to like it cause we are going to hear it alot for a long time.

I think we can all say that we like both names. Personally, I cannot find anything in either name that disqualifies it for consideration.

Since the team is Mike's brain child and he has done an awful lot to develop the team manual and will be the caller, etc, etc. etc, ... I think we should give Mike the final decision on which name to use.

Whats everyone think?

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 10:18 PM

You think this is bad, you should have seen me go through baby names!

Personally, I can't pick anything without feeling like I've analyzed every option to death. There's a quirk in my genes. (If I say that out loud, it sounds entirely different. :? )

Honestly, I'll be fine with any of them. I'd even go for "Mike & the IKEs."

So, who wants to start choosing a song? :P

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 10:42 PM

Jeff wrote:You think this is bad, you should have seen me go through baby names!

Personally, I can't pick anything without feeling like I've analyzed every option to death. There's a quirk in my genes. (If I say that out loud, it sounds entirely different. :? )

Honestly, I'll be fine with any of them. I'd even go for "Mike & the IKEs."

So, who wants to start choosing a song? :P

Jeff... form a band sometime!

We always had incredibly in-depth and ridiculous, ego (not me) filled shouting matched and arguments over names... weeks and weeks of discussion to the detriment of all else... and in the end, they all sucked... my last pre-christian band (which was the most kick-butt incredible non-christian (lol) band I was ever in) was during the reign of INXS (which I think is the best ever thought of name for a band, ever)... and we wanted to be I2I... but there was already a band with that name (like it really mattered..) so we chose I2Y... 12 years later, I still bristle with the thought of having to try to tell people what it was and what it meant... We should have chosen 'Loud Neighbor' and been done with it...lol... for some reason, we used to have people lined up after we played to find out what it was and what it meant... and no one in the club scene ever got it right in ads, etc... so that's why I get anal about having to explain a name... something simple and to the point is just so much better and easier to deal with and above all, people remember it.

As for baby names, that one was very easy here... One grandma's 1st name and the other grandma's middle name... no argument, no real thought.... Elinor Grace and that was it... but we also knew ahead of time that we were having a girl which made it easy.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 10:43 PM

Jeff wrote:Personally, I can't pick anything without feeling like I've analyzed every option to death.

I hear ya, there's a name for folks like us.

Now back to the endless discussion of logos that I know is driving some people crazy.
I chose the modern internet music logos for a reason--they are modern.
The first page of corporate logos are old and outdated, but kept because they are recognized.
The second page had a little more recent logos on it.

What's funny to me is that we have spent more time on coming up with a name than we have spent practicing. We have yet to meet for practice. :oops:

Anyway, I think Jeff and I should take this off line (Jeff: call me, or better yet, come to Bourbonnais Sunday). We will show you what the team name is and what the logo looks like when we are done. :-D

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 10:54 PM

Mike wrote:Anyway, I think Jeff and I should take this off line (Jeff: call me, or better yet, come to Bourbonnais Sunday). We will show you what the team name is and what the logo looks like when we are done. :-D

But, but...I'm supposed to recuse myself from making a decision!

You have no idea how badly I want to come down there tomorrow, I just don't have the time. :(

I will certainly take some time for practice on my own, though.

IKE is on Image too!

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Sun, Sep 30 2007, 11:05 PM

Short story about choosing a name.
In 1970 my friend Ken and I opened a boat repair service in Marina Del Rey, California. "What should we call it?" was the question of the day. We each sat at a separate end of a work bench and made our own lists of names. We then traded lists. They were pretty much the same. Ken and Jims Marine Service, Jim and Kens Boat repair and the like. When I got to the end of Ken's list I had a great laugh. The last few names were General Motors, Bank of America, Boeing Aircraft and Yamaha. Ken said "Well, they worked for those guys!"

Names can be fun.

Jim
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 01 2007, 09:57 AM

Maybe we should call ourselves "Google Kites"?

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Oct 01 2007, 10:10 AM

Or perhaps Yahoooooo

That's certainly the feeling that goes through everyone when multiple flyers take to the air.

I still like General Motors. :rotfl

Fun stuff

Jim

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Oct 01 2007, 11:10 AM

I was doing the breakfast dishes and thinking about how much we enjoyed watching Chicago Fire at Seal Beach a couple of weeks ago, and thinking about their name.

Perhaps you would want to consider "Illinois Central". Tells where you are from. Your team will probably change slightly from event to event as not everyone will be able to attend all of the time. You could wear your IKE shirts (tells who you are) and get the black and white engineer's caps to wear while on the field. Eventually you could have team shirts made up with a locomotive or something of the sort, on the back.

Just a thought.

Jim

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Oct 01 2007, 11:14 AM

Quirky business names, if you remember them, can create buzz
01:00 AM EDT on Monday, October 1, 2007
By Martha McKay
The Record

There’s Clusty, Kajeet, Zazzle and Ziggs.

Ooma, Yoomba, Oodle and Noosh.

New Dr. Seuss characters? Hardly.

These fanciful-sounding nonsense words are company names. And when it comes to choosing a moniker for a high-tech business these days, the quirkier the better.

“We’ve seen a massive migration toward whimsical names in the last few years,â€

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Oct 01 2007, 12:08 PM

[quote]“Today the double-o names are nearly ubiquitous, and at Interbrand we’ve seen a reluctance to go there,â€

Chris (aka Babbman)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Oct 04 2007, 06:52 AM

After WEEKS is incredible debate and fist-to-cuffs... :rotfl

The Official IKE Team Name is:

180 GO!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments...

And way we GO!

Further comments/discussions/logo ideas. etc will be taken up in a new thread called 180 GO!

I'm gonna lock this thread from future comments... not for any other reason that we haven't locked a topic here yet and I've always wanted to do it!

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Thu, Oct 04 2007, 09:45 AM

I thought this was locked? :wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Thu, Oct 04 2007, 11:39 AM

Chris wrote:I thought this was locked? :wink:

dude, you are an admin... admins can do anything...lol

Chris (aka Babbman)

Return to “Team Flying”