Quad, Dual Mega Team Flying thoughts and information
Babbman

Re: IKE Team Name(s)

Postby Babbman » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 05:12 AM

NOW we are getting somewhere!!!!!

Those look nice!

Great job Jeff

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 05:53 AM

I like black backgrounds, I think it makes the design "pop".
If we don't have a black background, we might want to change the colors of the letters. I don't care for outline letters. That's so old school :-)
I like the 180 Go! logo too.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 06:02 AM

Mike wrote:I like black backgrounds, I think it makes the design "pop".
If we don't have a black background, we might want to change the colors of the letters. I don't care for outline letters. That's so old school :-)
I like the 180 Go! logo too.

My post was before I saw the last black logo...

But, while it all looks good on paper, we have to keep in mind the difficulties if printing on black material... or registration when using a black background... especially shirts... Black is very difficult to cover sometimes..... embroidery would be a better option for things like this...

Maybe Ken could chime in on this with his printing experience..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 01:03 PM

Some thoughts...

Regarding design, I do think there needs to be a certain simplicity to a logo, and I have been trying to keep myself from making it too busy. To get all the elements in without making it awkward can be difficult. I didn't really see how to add a kite or kites to the first String Theory logo with all the lines.

With this next one, I wasn't sure if I needed to put in 6 kites, and I'm still not sure. There are elements about the design that I really like, but that are problematic also. I like the shape and the flow of the infinite loop. It works on several levels. It's a figure-8 shape that mimics the path of kites in a follow pattern. It's a symbol for infinity, which is a nice theoretical concept that works with the "theory" theme. You can go deeper if you wish...there's "no end" to our enjoyment of flying. Flying kites is something that is not always concrete and definable. It's feel and and intuition. "How do you make the kite do that?" "I don't know, I don't think about it, I just do it..."

Of course, that line also presents a problem in different media. In print, or online, it works nicely. Putting it on a kite, a banner, embroidery, etc., might not work out well. Perhaps I can try some adjustments where the line thickens a bit in places, more like a swoosh like with the Nike logo or Image.

On color, I think it is OK to have variations. The primary logo may very well be against a white background, but that doesn't mean that it can't also be presented in an inverse variation where black and white are switched. I think it does need to be presentable in grayscale or even 2 color only, even if the "official" logo is full color. Look at iQuad's logo.
It is in color, but I have a sticker they gave me at Mots that is simply a black and white of the same thing.

I know Mike said that he didn't care for the black outlines on the letters. I don't really have the some aversion, in fact, I sort of like the edge definition, but as a practical matter I was having trouble not including them in these designs for a few reasons. First, I was generally limiting the color palette to club colors, red, white and black. (With the possible exception of the kites in a full color logo) When looking at the words in different combinations of those colors, I never really liked the look of having one in solid black. There is a certain "lightness" (not meant literally) about the white text. It just seems more positive and energetic, especially in the 180 Go! logo. It jumps out, rather than weighing down. And with a white character on a white background, an outline is necessary. I can put up different variations on those later.

What I like about the 180 Go! logo is that it is positive, energetic, it seems to represent movement, and best of all, fun. It is bold and simple, and incorporates the kite but in a less obvious way. There is a line in there too, but perhaps that could be tweaked into a more defined swoosh or something. It could be eliminated altogether, but I do like how it adds the sense of movement. Ooh, I just had another idea to try. Could work well, or be totally stupid...We'll see later.

These two names are my current favorites. I still also like LOLkites, but I know I'm in for a tough sell on that one. :lol:
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 09:13 PM

Jeff wrote:
These two names are my current favorites. I still also like LOLkites, but I know I'm in for a tough sell on that one. :lol:

Lolly would probably like it. :lol:
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 09:14 PM

Time to choose the name. Here's the two finalists and what I have to say about them.

string theory
Its easy to see the connection between kiting and strings. Many folks will heard of the phrase.

180 Go!
More dynamic. Even the logo looks more exciting. The connection to kites isn't clear but we can use that to our advantage. It can give the announcer something to talk about while we set up. We can provide a paragraph to the announcer explaining about our team. It can explain that our routines aren't choreographed in advance and vary with the number of fliers, wind conditions, etc. The team has a caller who will call out a move, and then say "go!". On "go!" the fliers execute the move. For example, 180 Go! and all the kites will turn 180 degrees. We have many other more complicated moves with names like "blender", "burst", .... yada yada

Feedback and votes are welcome.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 09:25 PM

Mike wrote:Time to choose the name. Here's the two finalists and what I have to say about them.

string theory
Its easy to see the connection between kiting and strings. Many folks will heard of the phrase.

180 Go!
More dynamic. Even the logo looks more exciting. The connection to kites isn't clear but we can use that to our advantage. It can give the announcer something to talk about while we set up. We can provide a paragraph to the announcer explaining about our team. It can explain that our routines aren't choreographed in advance and vary with the number of fliers, wind conditions, etc. The team has a caller who will call out a move, and then say "go!". On "go!" the fliers execute the move. For example, 180 Go! and all the kites will turn 180 degrees. We have many other more complicated moves with names like "blender", "burst", .... yada yada

Feedback and votes are welcome.

Gee... I wonder which one Mike likes better?! :rotfl

I also agree that these are the 2 best choices....

Personally, I will not be upset over choosing one or the other... As for my preferences...

String Theory
I like this the best... I like what can be done with the logo and I think it's really easy to remember and when the name is said, we won't have anything to explain.

180 Go!
I like this also but see some explaining to go with it. The thing I like the best is the use of a Rev as an exclamation point.

I've had experience in always having to explain a name... it's fun at first but gets old pretty quick..

That said...

other opinions please?

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 09:31 PM

Babbman wrote:Gee... I wonder which one Mike likes better?! :rotfl

I truly haven't decided, I go back and forth between the two.
I like Jeff's logo for 180 Go! too. It helped me to visualize the name. (we still need to talk about the outline letters :-D )

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 09:55 PM

Of the two I prefer String Therory. (Even though I'm more of a particle man)

180 go! is a little too inside for non-kite people to get. Heck, even duel line flyers would have no idea what that is about. Also, it sounds a little too much like the band, OK GO!

BTW nice work Jeff on the logos. They all look good.
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Fri, Sep 28 2007, 10:24 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 10:16 PM

I keep trying to imagine these names being belted out over a PA. I think Chris had the only idea that I thought would sound good broadcasting on a field-can't find the post now...it was related to a song.

Also have a hang up over String Theroy, being similar to String's screen name.

I LOVED the logo with the lines in it! Nice work on that one Jeff! That's almost enough to get me over the hang up, but not over the question of how it will sound coming out over a PA.

Just questions, nothing critical.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 11:43 PM

Another take on 180 Go!

I just don't know if I'm ready to choose yet!

IKE is on Image too!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 12:01 AM

Since I won't be team flying, I will only express my opinion, not vote.

I think String Theory is the superior name. 180 Go! will take too much
explaining which as has been stated will probably wear over time.

I used to have license plates that took a fair amount of explaining
to non technical people. I still have them on the wall of my office,
but would never get plates that need to be explained again, it got
old before they did.
Alan Sparling

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 12:17 AM

Maybe Ken could chime in on this with his printing experience..

Sorry but I dont know anything when it comes to screen printing, which is what its called when dealing with clothing. As far as paper printing, when we want a black background, we reverse out the lettering, etc. and put the black down in solid. It would be VERY hard to print any color on black paper other then white and even that is hard to do.

As far as the logos/names go...
First GREAT JOB guys on layouts!! :up:

Mike as far as the outlines, IMO from the printing end of it, the outlines help with adding depth to the letters. I see it all the time, dont think its old school.

Between names...

180 GO! I like it ALOT

at first I was not to sure about it, but after seeing the lay out Jeff did (which really POPS!!) and your posting Mike...
The connection to kites isn't clear but we can use that to our advantage. It can give the announcer something to talk about while we set up. We can provide a paragraph to the announcer explaining about our team. It can explain that our routines aren't choreographed in advance and vary with the number of fliers, wind conditions, etc. The team has a caller who will call out a move, and then say "go!". On "go!" the fliers execute the move. For example, 180 Go! and all the kites will turn 180 degrees.

would work well., and help explain the team name. I think making the line into a swoosh would make it easier to appliqué, and give more depth too. We can have the kite in the logo a different color for each flier. (which was touch on before) That way we also dont need to worry about how many kites are in the other logo.

String Theory...

I thought it was ok, after seeing the logos that were done helped. But then I saw 180 GO!
and in my eyes there was no debate.

As far as explaining the name, we are always explaining something about this or that out at the field, so what would be one more thing? If at all, I myself have never really thought about what, where, or why did someone decide to call them self that. Just hey thats really clever or ok what ever.

Which one sounds better coming across the speakers, I think they both flow the same.

My thoughts.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 05:41 AM

FYI, Chris is out of town this weekend so we won't get his opinion until probably Sunday..

Chris (aka Babbman)

ZippyD

Postby ZippyD » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 06:42 AM

[quote]Of the two I prefer String Therory. (Even though I'm more of a particle man) [/quote]

And are you doing the things a particle can?

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 07:21 AM

I'm with Ken on the explaining thing. I've been explaining Revs for years and haven't gotten tired of it. In my opinion, anything that gets someone to come up and ask a question is a good thing.

That said, I'm leaning towards String Theory this morning.

I like the simple line better than the swoosh myself. To me, the swoosh looks more like the way an airplane does a 180 (circles over your head vs reverses direction on the spot).

On the outline font issue: here's some logos I found this morning on the internet:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=93136022&size=o
Some of them have outline fonts.

(Dan, who might be a giant, I get your particle man reference)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 08:51 AM

ZippyD wrote:And are you doing the things a particle can?

We had a fight, Triangle won. :wink:

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 08:56 AM

Mike wrote:On the outline font issue: here's some logos I found this morning on the internet:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=93136022&size=o
Some of them have outline fonts.

Here's some non-internet corporate logos.

http://www.epsvectorlogosoncd.com/graph ... on_dvd.jpg
http://www.cfsv.org/img/corporateLogos.gif

An article on logos: http://www.search-this.com/2007/03/28/t ... of-a-logo/

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 09:55 AM

I have a great idea...

Let's pick the name and THEN we can intensively work on the logo and talk about outline vs non outline fonts?

:oops:

Chris (aka Babbman)

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 10:03 AM

I can multi-task. :P

It's just hard to pick one. I like both. It's like choosing between your kids.

Or between one of Mike's kids and one of mine.

Well, maybe not just like that. :lol:

IKE is on Image too!

Return to “Team Flying”