2009 AKA Convention

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Mike

2009 AKA Convention

Postby Mike » Thu, Sep 27 2007, 10:41 AM

I've received a couple emails about having the Convention in WI in 2009. I don't how many of you also got them, so I'm posting the info here for discussion.

The annual AKA convention rotates from West (where it is now), to East (2008), to Midwest (2009).
2008 will be in Gettysburg.
The AKA board is currently deciding the location for 2009.

Mike

Re: 2009 AKA Convention

Postby Mike » Thu, Sep 27 2007, 10:44 AM

This message came from Margaret Murphy:

The 2007 AKA convention is almost here and it's time for the board to consider the location for the 2009 AKA Convention. Wouldn't it be AWESOME if the convention were to be held in Wisconsin!!!!

There are nearly 100 AKA members in Wisconsin, and over 100 members in Illinois! What a great time we could have together flying kites at the National Convention in the Fox Cities of Wisconsin in 2009!

I am asking every AKA Member in WI and IL to phone or email their support for the 2009 AKA Convention in Wisconsin to the AKA Board! See contact info below this message.

The AKA Board will be reviewing the proposals at Convention! That gives us a little over a week to contact our AKA Board Members and ask them to vote for WISCONSIN in 2009.

Proposal Summary:

The Fox Cities of Wisconsin is only a 3-hour Drive from Chicago.
It is 40 minutes southwest of Green Bay.
And only 90 minutes Northeast of Madison.

Host Hotel and Convention Center: Radisson Paper Valley Hotel Appleton Top-notch accommodations...it doesn't get any better than this! This is the Hotel where the visiting NFL teams stay when they play the Packers. Awesome Vince Lombardi steakhouse on site...and several other cafes, restaurants, sports bar, etc...all downtown Appleton! See you there!

Flying Fields: USA Youth Sports Complex.
Incredible space--many more fields than are actually required--more space for single lines! Good wind and spectator visibility alongside Hwy 41. On-site food vendor, restrooms, storage, meeting space, lights, electrical access, parking, and 10 minutes from the Radisson Convention center.

Registration and Volunteer support: Fox Cities Convention and Visitor Bureau(www.foxcities.org).

If you have any questions about the Wisconsin bid, please contact Pete Schueppert of the Visitor and Convention Bureau...information below this message.

Also, please forward this request to your AKA Kite friends and ask them to show their support as well!

Please contact your AKA Board members ASAP and let them know that Wisconsin is a great place to fly kites in 2009!!

Susan Skinner (CA)
Barbara Meyer (MN)
Gayle Woodul (TX)
David Paul Butler (OR)
Kathy Brinnehl (IL)
Ronda Brewer (OR)
Michael Dallmer (PA)
Russ Faulk (IL)

I hope that I can count on you to take action and contact the Board, and I look forward to seeing you in 2009!

Thanks!

Peggy

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Sep 27 2007, 10:48 AM

And this one came from Scott Fisher:

Hello Everyone,

Gift of Wings and the Kite Society of WI & IL have submitted a proposal for holding the 2009 AKA convention in Milwaukee. I have been working with the city of Milwaukee visitors bureau for a few months now and have finally come up with a nice package, with “Visit Milwaukeeâ€

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Sep 27 2007, 10:58 AM

I'm not sure how consistent the wind is in Milwaukee, but hey, it's the Midwest--it's what we've got.
Milwaukee certainly seems good as far as accommodations being close enough to the field. It's also convenient to have an airport in town. If the host hotel runs a airport shuttle, out-of-towners may not even have to rent a car.

I don't know anything about the Fox Cities area. They didn't send any photos and Google Maps doesn't have good satellite photos of the area. Anyone else know anything?

OK, folks. What do you think? Would you like to have the convention nearby? Would you like to be involved as a volunteer should it happen?

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 05:39 AM

more from Scott:

Hi Mike,

Yes there will be FREE shuttle running every 30 minutes back and forth to the hotel. In addition, I plan to set up a building or container to hold everyone’s gear at the park at night so you don’t have to haul it back and forth. In addition, we will also give a 25% discount on all food in the park to all AKA, KSWI, and IKE members, and other clubs that help out. I will also be calling on all IKE members to help us all out with different duties during the convention. Also FREE parking at the field and at the hotel. Kite Boarders will be able to participate because we have Bradford beach ½ mile north of the park. It will be a lot of fun. Please send your AKA regional director Bob as email at region6@aka.kite.org and let him know that you want the event in Milwaukee. Also an e-mail to the board of directors would be very helpful. Go to www.aka.kite.org and go to the contact us page and let them know your thoughts.

MILWAUKEE 2009 AKA CONVENTION……IT DOESN’T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!!

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 05:48 AM

I'm surprised to see that no one has responded to this. A few points:

Several of you have mentioned that you want to compete. It can't get easier or cheaper to compete at Nationals than if the convention was local.

Even if you don't compete, there are free workshops about all sorts of kite related activities.

You can watch some of best fliers in the country compete and fly with them off the competition field.

It may be the only way you have to compete on kite building. We don't have any kite building comps locally.

If you thought MAKR was a big party, this is an even bigger one.

There's also auctions, the Fly Market which is staffed by manufacturers reps, banquets, mass ascensions every day with a different kite and a free pin, hot tricks shootout ...

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 06:10 AM

Sorry dude... I was out of the office yesterday and off to rehearsal immediately afterwards and then right to bed... too much going on this week.

... give me a little while to digest everything before making a response...

But, I can say right now that something midwest and close is definitely a plus..

Needless to say, if it's this close, I will be there and will be competing..

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 08:48 AM

I don't know if they are going to vote on this at the next meeting, but that meeting is Tuesday morning, so time is fleeting.

I have not seen the Milwaukee proposal for Veteran's Park, but there were always two problems/questions.

1) Space - The AKA Grand National competitions take an enormous amount of space, in addition to the space for free flying. I had repeatedly asked Scott for a scale map with potential field layouts. I never got it. I never could figure out how fit everything in on my own. This is why I never supported a Milwaukee location.

2) Hotel cost. Hopefully they have swung a good deal, but major city hotel costs are usually more than many AK members can / will afford.

The Fox Cities proposal has a different "problem".

The AKA suffers financially from "small" conventions,(smaller auctions). When members and particularly members' spouses from other parts of the country have to ask where a site is, it has traditionally been a problem. When the kiteflier of the couple has to work hard to convince the non-kiteflier that they should spend their vacation at convention, a known location helps. This is an advantage for Milwaukee. Please note, this has NOTHING to do with the reality of the location, but of the perceptions of the rest of the Country. The AKA has never been good at marketing a location.

There is also a proposal from Rochester, MN. I don't know much about it, other than it is under serious consideration along with the WI sites.
Alan Sparling

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 10:22 AM

Mike wrote:I don't know anything about the Fox Cities area. They didn't send any photos and Google Maps doesn't have good satellite photos of the area. Anyone else know anything?

Jeff Hale should be able to tell us something, by merely looking out his window!

Hey Jeff, do you want the convention in your back yard? :P
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 10:28 AM

Here's pics of the sports complex in the Fox Cities proposal:
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... &encType=1

Here's the bird's eye for a closer look.
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... &encType=1
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Sep 28 2007, 10:49 AM

I'm a member of another group scattered across the US...we've been trying to plan a get together and Door Co. was in the running for locations. Surprisingly, it wasn't the midwest delegation that propped it. That would be an assest for Appleton I'd think, that they're close to Door Co.
TTFN,
Draftnik

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Sat, Sep 29 2007, 12:59 AM

Jeff wrote:
Mike wrote:I don't know anything about the Fox Cities area. They didn't send any photos and Google Maps doesn't have good satellite photos of the area. Anyone else know anything?

Jeff Hale should be able to tell us something, by merely looking out his window!

Hey Jeff, do you want the convention in your back yard? :P

Uh ohhh.... I KNEW this was coming!!!!

Wadda ya'll wanna know?????

The USA Youth Sports Complex in Appleton is the name of the venue which "Margaret" (better known as Peggy Becker, mother of Andy Becker...kite flier ** extraordinaire **) is talking about. Just so happens to be my main stomping grounds. One of 'em anyways, I'm fortunate to have 3 great places to fly at...all within 10-15 minutes of my house.

Tell ya what...it's past my bedtime already (12:45AM) and this guy has to be up again at 5AM to pull another 12hr shift at work. As much as I'd like to sit here & write several pages, there just isn't time right now. I'll try to set aside some time tomorrow night after getting home from work. Sorry!!

PS: Bummer this thread didn't get started WEEKS ago...rather than at the last minute. LOTS to talk about!

"get high on kites"

Jeff Hale

Barbara

Postby Barbara » Tue, Oct 09 2007, 09:49 AM

As most of you know by now, there will be a change in the board of AKA. The new board officially takes over on Thursday. The vote will come in January, around the 3rd wednesday.
Check the AKA website next week for the list of officers.
Barbara

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Oct 09 2007, 08:14 PM

I am eager to see that list as by my understanding at least three of the executive committee nominated at the general meeting will have to be replaced.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Nov 12 2007, 03:34 PM

From the AKA forums:
"The prices pretty much knocked some of the places out of contention. Some wanted thousands of dollars extra for meeting space, etc. that other sites provide for free. Some of the sites have room rates that are too high. This pretty much leaves two sites, but I don't have real detailed field information for them yet. Both will be inland soccer complexes - one 4 miles from the hotel, the other 6 (all sites considered are inland). One has rooms around $84, the other ranges from $64 to $85. Both have indoor flying space and are relatively equidistant from airports. In other words, they're pretty similar. What should I look at that would make a difference to you?"

If the sites under consideration are still: Milwaukee, Madison WI, Appleton WI, Rochester MN, and Des Moines

It sounds like Milwaukee is out.

It sounds like Rochester, MN is one of the possibilities. At least any kite injuries would get the best of medical care--that's where the Mayo Clinic is.
I used to spend the night in Rochester (not the Mayo) a lot when taking Paul to and from Carleton College in MN. I never saw any kite flying though. It would be a long drive for us (about 7 hours from Champaign).

Appleton WI or Madison,WI would be much closer. With the low hotel prices, I bet they are thinking Appleton though.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Mon, Nov 12 2007, 07:50 PM

Has there ever been thought of not just moving the location, but moving the date to, say, the second week of July 2009. Those AKA members with children would be more likely to attend as well as those of us (Lynn and I) who will be attending the Airstream International Rally in Madison the first week of July 2009.

Just kidding, but it sure would be nice.

Jim :revspin: :revspin:
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Mon, Nov 12 2007, 09:24 PM

This has been a recurring question over the years. It has been voted on at least once at the general meeting.

The people who wanted the date change said "Our children could come"

The people who did not want the change said "Their children could come"

Actually, I can only vaguely remember the discussion.

If I remember right the sport kiters did not like when the season would have to end to get invites out.

The convention is out of season, so the rates are cheaper

There were many people concerned that the character of the convention would drastically change, to them
for the worse.

And their were many people who thought that the addition of their children would improve the convention.

In the end the change was voted down, I have no recollection of the margin.
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Nov 13 2007, 07:43 AM

I think the convention should always be held at a beach in winter.
We fly in the fickle Midwest winds all year long. Once a year, it would be nice to fly in smoother coastal winds. And leaving the cold for a warmer Southern beach in winter would also be a plus.

Return to “General Discussion”