Chicago Montrose Harbor Oct 6th

The 2007 Kite Festival Season Archives
Mike

Re: Chicago Montrose Harbor Oct 6th

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 24 2007, 06:17 PM

looks like a nice turnout so far:
Draftnik & JJ, Ken, Jeff, Isaac, Jeff Hale, Tom... anyone else?

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Sep 25 2007, 01:06 AM

I thought Wrigley Field was very close to Montrose.

:oops: ya you are right, I forgot that the land narrows more up that way with the lakefront. not like sox park and the lakefront.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Invis

Postby Invis » Tue, Sep 25 2007, 07:12 AM

Mike,
It looks like I will be there. Teri's cousin has a boat docked at Montrose and she is planning on meeting us there. Hope the weather holds ...the wind has been great here in Bourbonnais this past week. Thank goodness for the "private" kite field behind Microtek!

Lookin forward to seeing you all there,

Denny

Invis

Postby Invis » Tue, Sep 25 2007, 07:26 AM

BTW....A little blurb of info on Montrose beach.

Chicago settlers set up camp in Illinois because of Lake Michigan, and it continues to be a draw. This stretch of sand is the only one within city limits where it’s legal for dogs to swim and run leash-free. That makes it a top destination for anyone who has a four-legged friend with energy to burn, or anyone looking to meet like-minded dog lovers. Bring extra tennis balls to toss, and enjoy the wind in your fur.

We may have to be looking down alot! I'm wearing low waders! Sand shovels for everyone! You thought the goose doo at Frontier Park was bad!

Actually I believe the "dog beach" is seperated from where we will be flying. But if you are bringing any non-flier family members it would be a shame for Fido to miss a day at the beach. "Wanna go for a ride?"

Invis

Postby Invis » Tue, Sep 25 2007, 07:43 AM

OK, NIX the idea of bringing fido to the dog beach. It seems Chicago has a special permit and pass key to gain entrance to the beach. The permit is only 5 bucks but must be obtained from a Chicago area Vet. I went to the website and found pages of legal mumbo-jumbo about the dog beach. Good idea but like everything else in Chicago buried in red tape.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Sep 25 2007, 10:25 AM

Ohh well, now I don't have to feel sorry for leaving the wonder dog behind. -could have squirrels with me! :mrblue: JJ would put a stop even if I pout. :cry:

(Wouldn't really do that to JJ or the squirrels. :wink: )
TTFN,
Draftnik

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Oct 01 2007, 11:38 PM

The ball game at Wrigley on Saturday will start at 5 PM. No issues getting in, but leaving may be more congested.

I think I may stick around the area to watch some of the game, though.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 12:06 AM

I'm not doing well here. Just dx with at least stage 2 breast cancer. Having surgery 10/9 unless somehow they can move it up to 10/2 which would be a mircale now. Dr called at 9 pm tonight and said I'm a mess. Can't go into other details on a open board.

Besides crying and listneing to [rainbow]Richard Elliott Over the Rainbow[/rainbow], thank you so much to whoever posted it, I want to fly. The beauty of the kite, learning how to control it in all it's grace and having it dance in the sky is one of the most beautiful things I have seen. I would love for someone to show me how to fly it. All I do is crash and tangle. Would anyone have time at Montross? Is Montross big enough so I don't hit anyone?

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 05:53 AM

Absolutely! I'll be there all day.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 06:18 AM

Roxy, I am very sorry to hear that.
This must be a very scary time for you. I think it will get a little less scary after the surgery and when you have a plan of attack. I will keep you in my thoughts.
-mike

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 06:48 AM

Roxy,

Our prayers are with you...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

TeamTrejo

Postby TeamTrejo » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 10:07 AM

Are we having a team/ mega fly that day?

Maybe we can get Roxy involved somehow.
Last edited by TeamTrejo on Tue, Oct 02 2007, 10:30 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 10:25 AM

Very sorry to hear the news, Roxanne. :cry:

As for the situation at Montrose, I'm not entirely sure what the setup and space is like. Hopefully there will be enough free space. I haven't flown this fest before.

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 01:26 PM

I wont be there, but Babbman is going to try and be there for at least the early part of the day.
He can work with you guys on calling a club fly or mega-fly.

David said he was going to rope off a field, so there will be enough room for a demo. He also said you can fly on the beach, but the beach wont be roped off. So I guess it depends on how many people will be on the beach. Probably not many people use the beach in October, but be careful folks--no bloodshed.

(I don't think this is an AKA sanctioned event and our insurance has expired. I haven't been able to get it renewed. I'm hoping that after the convention, the AKA will be back to normal and we will be insured for club flies again.)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 02:08 PM

Unless something dire comes up, Babbman will be there by 8am with kites and 4 radios in hand...

We can do whatever and I'll be happy to step to the right and call... wait... crap, I don't have a microphone... Well, I'll yell then...

I will have to leave no later than 2:30pm to get back in time for a gig in Plano...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 05:49 PM

I'll be there as early as possible. I don't know if I can make 8 am, but I'll try.

My team participation depends on the wind. I only have a 1.5 in an SUL right now.

I do have a microphone for Motorola style radios, but I thought Mike modified his to be keyed all the time.

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 05:59 PM

We will get you up and flying this weekend. For Sure!!! :up:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 09:08 PM

Montrose is big enough not to have to worry about tangles with others. We can sure help you there!

i wore a pink shirt all day today at work (still have it on)... and bought a special breast cancer button earlier today and am still wearing it. October is breast cancer awareness month.

One of my co-workers had later-stage breast cancer and got through it! If you would like her number, please let me know. My wife had a super serious lung condition... and they told me at the hospital that she wouldn't make it. She is now quite well and is doing just fine! Keep positive about it, Roxy! :wink:

Richard Elliot is awesome!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:24 PM

Me involved, your too funny!

Thank you for all your support. I got a new surgeon today with more experience, seeing him on Thursday (He offered to see me today, but had to work.) with surgery the following Wednesday. The Dr I was with still hasn't looked at my results. It's more than the cancer, my dr told me last night "You are a mess." I have diabetes now, and I have a very rare condition that attacks the body & heart which is why I didn't rush in for this lump, it was a fluke and luck it was caught. I have thousands of them, I'm serious. My dad died at 60 and mine is so much more severe, my labs came back yesterday pretty bad. With all this going on my eye attacks can keep getting worse and go blind.

Good news, I have a great team of doctors, nurse from the insurance company and a special program I am in at work for people who have multiple health problems I think I over qualified for the program. They are already setting a course of action and if you know me, I don't go down without a fight or getting every credit card I can and living it up! It was just very overwhelming to get this all at once.

Looking forward to Montross. Thank you for all the support! Going to try to fly the kite tomorrow weather permitting.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Oct 02 2007, 11:39 PM

Hey Jeff, I have an extra vented if you would like to use. I too have a set of radios. Will work on trying to get a microphone before saturday. Will try to be there between 8/8:30.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Return to “2007 Kite Festivals”