FESTIVAL SUGGESTIONS

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Draftnik

FESTIVAL SUGGESTIONS

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Sep 18 2007, 09:52 AM

A couple of suggestions for all kiters... index cards with info on the kites and kiters bio's would be helpful. These could be turned in at the sound booth at each festival and would be a *huge* help to anyone running a sound system. I know this takes some effort, and doing bio's of oneself isnt' easy, BUT if the sound booth doesn't know about you or your kites the crowd won't either.

An index card with a short bio of a kiter, org, or kite bio, would keep the sound booth rolling with tidbits of info for the crowd.

All the kiters and kites could/should have one, this isn't just for the kiters having music played. Ground displays can be highlighted, big kites, art kites, stunt kites (and their tails!), parafauna rigs, KAP rigs etc. The sound booth gets peppered all day with questions about these things, and there's no way to provide an answer unless the info is at hand (or Ann's in the booth!)

(I'll surpress the urge to micro manage this by suggesting the cards be color coded, and in large type so they're easy to read and coordinate with music when nessicary... :wink:)

Also, a big dry erase board at the sound booth could also keep things rolling. As kiters get lined up for a demo their name and kite and music can be scribbled on and assistants in the sound booth can keep the DJ supplied with a smooth flow of info. AND all the 'powers that be' at a festival can answer questions of what's happening.

My .02 worth as a greenhorn to the sound booth experience.
Last edited by Draftnik on Thu, Sep 20 2007, 10:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.
TTFN,
Draftnik

SkyWalker

Re: Suggestions For Kiters At Festivals

Postby SkyWalker » Tue, Sep 18 2007, 05:55 PM

Draftnik wrote:A couple of suggestions for all kiters... index cards with info on the kites and kiters bio's would be helpful. These could be turned in at the sound booth at each festival and would be a *huge* help to anyone running a sound system. I know this takes some effort, and doing bio's of oneself isnt' easy, BUT if the sound booth doesn't know about you or your kites the crowd won't either.

A very good point Chris :up:

Ann Vondriska Brinnehl first brought up this same issue at last year's Perry Farm Kite Festival with Bob, Al, and myself (perhaps she was pointing a finger at everyone present - can't recall). Willing to betcha that I'm not the only one who's been sitting on his laurels since then! Sorry Ann!!!!!!!

A few questions to try 'n get the ball rolling....

1) would a standardized form be in order?

2) by color coding...do you mean by flier / type of display / or ???

3) more often than not, spectators are apt to ask how much a certain piece costs (especially the large displays), is this info that we really want to be giving out? Hate to say it, but I've had kite gear stolen at festivals before. I start thinking twice about going back the following year when something like that happens.

get 'high' on kites,

Jeff Hale
Last edited by SkyWalker on Fri, Sep 21 2007, 03:02 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Tue, Sep 18 2007, 09:46 PM

SkyWalker wrote: Ann Vondriska Brinnehl first brought up this same issue at last year's Perry Farm Kite Festival with Bob, Al, and myself (perhaps she was pointing a finger at everyone present - can't recall). Willing to betcha that I'm not the only one who's been sitting on his laurels since then! Sorry Ann!!!!!!!

Ann's a smart gal, you guys outa listen to her! Maybe she'll chime in here.

A few questions to try 'n get the ball rolling....

1) would a standardized form be in order?

Maybe if it'd get you all off your laurels.

2) by color coding...do you mean by flier / type of display / or ???

Maybe not nessicary if you put both bio and kite on the same card. I was thinking that they could be coded by flier, but I don't think that'd work as well as just having both bio and kite all on the same card. However...the ones with music or multiple cards, might wanna try color or image coding with a logo or something.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Ann

Postby Ann » Thu, Sep 20 2007, 08:47 AM

Well, thanks for the compliments! As Chris wrote, I agree that it's important for all everyone participating in a festival to be recognized, whether they are flying sportkites, huge kites or have added to the ambiance by bringing other wind toys and ground displays. (No finger pointing, Jeff, just wanted to be sure the spectators knew what they were looking at!!! After all, you all spends loads of money on your displays!)

Al Hargus (rest in peace) was the "Midwest Voice" for many years. He had a huge notebook filled with incredible information about kites in general, kite history, bios of flyers, etc. That brought a great deal to festivals. We are attempting to recreate such a book, but his was years in the making.

To facilitate that, it would be great for anyone participating to submit a bio not only of themselves, but of their kites/displays, etc. The general rule in the past was that if the announcer did not have an "official bio" of the flyer, they would just make one up! (all in fun, mind you!) We had retired brain surgeons, astronauts and folks who collected interesting antique items! Sometimes they were more fun than the real thing! Again, just all in very good-natured fun!

Anyway, some thoughts, for what it's worth!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Sep 20 2007, 09:43 AM

<chuckle> So if a kiter doens't turn in a bio, we could make up something? Like they'er escaped cons? :twisted: Just kidding....maybe. :lol:

Another thought, the media gravitated to the sound booth looking for interview leads. I know now why some orgs have professional media contacts to deal with that, and why they have a media day at some festivals! I'm wondering if these bio things could be used to keep that onslaught well directed as well.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Sep 20 2007, 09:58 PM

Suggestion for Festival Staff At Festivals:

Keep the demo field as far from obstructions (i.e., trees, buildings, statues of George Bush, etc.) toward the direction that the wind is coming from... as possible; i realize that this is not always possible, but it sure influences dual line tricking a lot... not as much though, with precision and such. A little bit of turbulence can have a big impact! Looking at the forecasts that predetermine wind direction (a day before) may be helpful. Often this is beyond our capabilities is out of our control... but it is something to consider some!

i think that announcers should periodically (or maybe the use of fliers) inform people about being careful not to walk under dual-line kites as they are flying; the public is not aware that these things go fast and can do damage.
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Draftnik

Re: FESTIVAL SUGGESTIONS

Postby Draftnik » Thu, Sep 20 2007, 10:22 PM

Good! Tom, thank you for bringing that up.

Let's have some more suggestions for festivals.
TTFN,

Draftnik

BANSHEE

Postby BANSHEE » Fri, Sep 21 2007, 01:01 AM

I need volunteers to make the De Kalb festival better. I need three kite makers to make bols for the next De Kalbfest. I promised Drafty that I would make one and plead for three more donations. These will then be the property of the fest for bol races for the kids. I'm going to check out some different designs and pick one so all will be consistant. So I'm starting with you folks, down Illinois way to offer a doantion for a great event. Either PM me or notify me here.

Banshee
Last edited by BANSHEE on Fri, Sep 21 2007, 06:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Ceaser viveret ad remum dareris

Think MAKR 2010

SkyWalker

Postby SkyWalker » Fri, Sep 21 2007, 04:44 AM

Draftnik wrote:Good! Tom, thank you for bringing that up.

Let's have some more suggestions for festivals.

Chris, was there any kiting security / safety people lined up at the Dekalb festival?? I not talking about police...

At our recent KOLM event, we had at least 2 such people on duty at all times. Mike Wagner (Pres. of the WI Kiters) and Pam Bowden donned hi-vis safety vests & patrolled the flying areas regularly. This was a requirement of being AKA sanctioned...however it'd be a good idea at any large, public kiting event. ESPECIALLY if /when we happen to be 'flying' large bols & such (the incident with all those kids rushing Al's barrel...yikes!!).

A big thumbs up & thanks to the field crew who did such a good job setting up all those cones!!!!

Also a big :thanks: to Mrs.Kitebutt for the coffee run(s)

get 'high' on kites,

Jeff Hale

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Fri, Sep 21 2007, 09:00 AM

SkyWalker,

ROFL!! She so loves being called that! :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

I'll be sure to extend your thanks to her!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Return to “General Discussion”