How to wind up your Rev's lines

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Mike

How to wind up your Rev's lines

Postby Mike » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 04:01 PM

In Kitelife, the online kiting magazine, David Hathaway wrote a nice article on how to wind up those quad lines.
Method 3, "The Monkey Road", is also the way iQuad does it. Click to read the article.

Babbman

Re: How to wind up your Rev's lines

Postby Babbman » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 04:30 PM

This is almost how I've been doing it for the last year... I always pair them off and larks head the top to the bottom... as described, but I always figure 8 them... I think I'll adjust it and not figure 8 them to see how it goes...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

TeamTrejo

Re: How To Wind Up Your Rev's Lines

Postby TeamTrejo » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 08:32 PM

I'm currently using the "easy road". :oops: I'll have to watch for people snickering at me. :P

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 09:10 PM

TeamTrejo wrote:I'm currently using the "easy road". :oops: I'll have to watch for people snickering at me. :P

We snicker at you regardless of how you wind your lines...lol

That's how you know when you are 'in'... :rotfl

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Sep 10 2007, 09:36 PM

TeamTrejo wrote:I'm currently using the "easy road". :oops: I'll have to watch for people snickering at me. :P

I started out down the easy road too, I got tired of walking back an forth! :wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, Dec 01 2008, 11:00 PM

Mike wrote:In Kitelife, the online kiting magazine, David Hathaway wrote a nice article on how to wind up those quad lines.
Method 3, "The Monkey Road", is also the way iQuad does it. Click to read the article.

Mike-
This entry is a little moldy.. and the link no longer opens. I think this would be an interesting topic, here and on Rev., Can you find the info and re-post? (When you have time)

(I tried going through the KiteLife mag topics in the archives but couldn't find it).

:smartass: Thirsting for knowledge!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

brownssl

Postby brownssl » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 12:49 AM

I RAP MINE AROUND THE HANDLES IT WORKS GOOD
:SLKani: shawn

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 07:18 AM

well, here's the thread from the kitelife forums:
http://kitelife.com/forum/index.php?sho ... entry13558

I still use the method listed above, but I also use a winder. Maybe even use the winder more often.
A brief description of the winder method:
  • Land the kite. (always upside down--leading edge facing down)
  • Stake the handles, looping the top of the handles around the stake (that generates forward, which drives the upside down kite into the ground, meaning it wont take off on its own)
  • Take your winder down to the kite
  • Larkshead the right top line onto the right bottom line. Repeat with the other side.
  • Put the loops onto your winder.
  • Wind the lines, without figure 8ing, on the winder as you walk back to your handles.
  • Set the winder down and unhook the lines from the handles. Larkshead the bottom line to the top line from the left handle, then repeat for the right.
  • Finish winding the lines around the winder.

No tangles, and a quick and easy setup.
You can also leave the lines attached to the handles and bungee the handles, with the lines attached, to the winder.

If you leave the handles attached to the winder, I now find this is a faster setup than the wind-around-the-handles method. However, it means you have a winder in your back pocket all day.

I hope that was somewhat clear. Any one of us will be glad to show you in person. Maybe even TeamTrejo? I may have converted Isaac the last time we were out....

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 07:51 AM

Mike wrote:A brief description of the winder method:
  • Larkshead the right top line onto the right bottom line. Repeat with the other side.
  • ... Larkshead the bottom line to the top line from the left handle, then repeat for the right.
No tangles, and a quick and easy setup.

Mike,

Since the kite is upside down, is it the kite's right side or your right side that you larks-head first? And won't that tangle the lines if you first larks-head the right side at the kite and then the left side first at the handles? Damn I wish it would quit snowing.

Good explanation ... that's exactly how I've settled on winding the lines and have had none of the problems others have complained about. The one exception is that I still figure eight the lines. Probably doesn't make any difference, except it's one less opportunity to introduce twists in the line that then have to "untwist" when you're setting up the kite.

Going through the steps in reverse to set up the kite is obvious. The one addition while setting up the kite is to spread the two sets of larks-headed lines to arms length before starting to hook them to the kite. It also helps, after separating the top and bottom lines, to spread each pair to arms length ... although I'm not consistent on this step. Don't try to remove any twists at this stage. If you have used the method Mike describes to wind and unwind the lines the majority of the twists are "false" twists. By separating first the paired lines and then the separated right and then left lines you'll remove all the "false" twists and will be left with only a few "true" twists which will have to be sorted out. Plus, you've driven all the "true" twists down toward the handles where they are easier to see as you start to sort them out.

Cheers,
Tom

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 10:50 AM

:thanks:
Good reading and perfectly clear... I truly appreciate all the info! I have made copies and will try it the next time out. Like maybe April or May! That's why I made copies, by then I won't know what a kite is!

Sorry for repeating but... I HATE WINTER!
Not really... I just hate the snow and cold!
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 02:30 PM

Jeepster wrote:Mike,
Since the kite is upside down, is it the kite's right side or your right side that you larks-head first? And won't that tangle the lines if you first larks-head the right side at the kite and then the left side first at the handles? Damn I wish it would quit snowing.

It doesn't matter which side you larkshead first on either side. It was just easier to explain that way. Larkhead the right lines together and larkshead the left lines together, in any order.

Jeepster wrote:The one exception is that I still figure eight the lines. Probably doesn't make any difference, except it's one less opportunity to introduce twists in the line that then have to "untwist" when you're setting up the kite.

It's true that figure eights keep the lines untwisted and it's how I did it for years. I can still figure-8 faster than straight winding. iQuad made me stop it doing it and I've found it doesn't make any difference in the final outcome. I do think that figure eighted lines may snag more on the winder when unwinding and they'll sometimes pull off a clump of line.
With straight winding I am able to walk at a quick, uninterrupted, walking pace while the lines unspool off the winder 95% of the time. I epxect it would be 100% if I wound them on smooth and even every time :oops:

Jeepster wrote:The one addition while setting up the kite is to spread the two sets of larks-headed lines to arms length before starting to hook them to the kite. It also helps, after separating the top and bottom lines, to spread each pair to arms length ... although I'm not consistent on this step.

Something I used to do too. But, this is usually not needed and I find that with dirty lines, it has the potential to make snags worse. They seem to untangle better when the pull is more lengthwise. I propose walking down to the handles, and if it looks twisted, pop the kite up in the air for a few seconds and then bring it down to do any final untwisting.
Also, the number of twists is usually two or less. Twist the handles around twice one direction. If it isn't better, twist twice the other way, and then one or two more times. This fixes it almost every time.

Jeepster wrote:Cheers,
Tom

YMMV,
Cheers!

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 02:34 PM

Jynx wrote: Like maybe April or May! ...
Sorry for repeating but... I HATE WINTER!
Not really... I just hate the snow and cold!

You mean the end of February!
I hate the snow and cold too. Makes Kite Party sorely needed.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 04:47 PM

Mike wrote:
Jeepster wrote:The one addition while setting up the kite is to spread the two sets of larks-headed lines to arms length before starting to hook them to the kite. It also helps, after separating the top and bottom lines, to spread each pair to arms length ... although I'm not consistent on this step.

Something I used to do too. But, this is usually not needed and I find that with dirty lines, it has the potential to make snags worse. They seem to untangle better when the pull is more lengthwise. I propose walking down to the handles, and if it looks twisted, pop the kite up in the air for a few seconds and then bring it down to do any final untwisting.
Also, the number of twists is usually two or less. Twist the handles around twice one direction. If it isn't better, twist twice the other way, and then one or two more times. This fixes it almost every time.

My lines are too new to be dirty, so I"ll watch for that to start occurring. However, I don't understand your point yet. When the paired up lines are spread to arm's length, I also pull the lines tight ... the other ends are hooked to the handles which are staked in position. That effectively does what you're saying, but instead of using the kite to tension the other end of the lines, you're using the staked down handles.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
Tom

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 06:17 PM

I haven't tested the two methods side by side, but in my casual observations:

With the arm spreading method, the lines are spread apart around 5' to 6' on one end, to a point on the other end. You can see the lines forming a Y and the twists sliding down towards the handles where they sometimes bunch up and tighten before they hit the handles (especially with older lines).

With the other method, the lines are spread only a little and start at the narrow end (1' or 2') and going to the wide end of 6' or so. The twists can't slide down towards the kite, so when you take off they untwist themselves all along the lines rather than bunching up.

Is that better? I think so, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Jim Foster: ya got something to say on this?

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 07:32 PM

Sure, Mike

I'm starting at the end of a flight as that is when your lines are untangled. How you wind them up determines how much trouble you will have setting up the next flight. TRUST ME!

After landing the kit inverted, we lay out handles around the stake with the top lines at the stake and the bottom lines pointing left and right respectively. That is how we always stake our lines.

We then walk to the kite, turn it right side up, which unwraps the line sets.

We lay the kite forward on it's leading edge, hold the now inverted kite against the wind with a knee, and untie the left line set, larkshead them together, then untie the right line set and larkshead them together.

We then fold up the kite and put it in it's sleeve.

NOW...here's a little trick we learned that really keeps the sets straight. We put one end of the kite through the left line set and the other end through the right line set, pull out the slack and set the kite on the ground.

Then we go back to the handles, undo the lines, larkshead the sets together and put one set in each slot of the winder.

Now we hold the winder in our right hand and walk toward the kite, holding all of the lines in the left hand, winding round and round as we walk toward the kite. We wind fairly tight, but NOT in a figure eight.

When we get down to the kite, take the line sets from around the kite, finish winding, being careful to not let the sets wind around each other, and wrap the bungie around. Having them held apart by the folded up kite really helps.

Now, the kite end of the lines is on the outside of the winder.

When we set up, we attach the handles, stake them as described before, and unwind. When all unwound, take the left set in the left hand, the right set in the right hand and spread the sets apart. Usually there is no wrap. If there is a wrap, put one set around the other and pull. It that doesn't do it, go the other direction.

Once the sets are separated, I put the left set on the ground and separate the right set, untwisting if necessary, then the same with the left set.

Set up the kit, attach the lines and fly!

This method not only makes set-up and take down fast, it reversed the lines every flight, spreading the wear. And......you don't have to carry your kite while you wind up your lines.

So now you know. And we were going to keep it a deep dark secret. Oh well. :roll:
Last edited by Jim Foster on Tue, Dec 02 2008, 07:42 PM, edited 4 times in total.
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 07:43 PM

I'll never tell!

(?)

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 07:49 PM

Another little trick.......

I put a knot at one end of the top line,at the end of the sheathing, and the other end of the bottom line, at the end of the sheathing.

This keeps the larkshead from slipping off the end, and at the same time, keeping the lines equal length.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 08:41 PM

Jim Foster wrote: And......you don't have to carry your kite while you wind up your lines.

But you do walk twice as far. Not a bad thing, we all need the exercise.

So there's a well thought out way to do it Jynx.
There's probably a few more ways if others chime in.
Just to confuse you... :-D

Really, pick one, any one, of the methods you come across. You'll come up with your own variation and next year you'll be posting to the newbies.

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Dec 02 2008, 10:50 PM

Mike wrote:
Jim Foster wrote: And......you don't have to carry your kite while you wind up your lines.

But you do walk twice as far. Not a bad thing, we all need the exercise.

Actually, if you land your kite and start winding from the handles, you accomplish the same thing and walk only 1/3 as far. This would be good at a night fly so you don't wander around in the dark and fog looking for your handles. Not that I ever had that happen to me mind you........ at WSIKF 2007.......forgot to take a flashlight, and after folding up my kite, well,,,,,,,after a while,,,,,,,I found them. :oops:

However, in a high wind I would prefer the way we do it now.
Last edited by Jim Foster on Tue, Dec 02 2008, 10:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Quad Line Kites”