Kite boarding

All about dual and quad line power kiting.
Chris

Kite boarding

Postby Chris » Fri, Nov 03 2006, 10:48 PM

What is a better kite for control, a dual or single. Especially with a mountain board (is that what you call it?)
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Frodos Majik

Re: Kite boarding

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Nov 04 2006, 12:19 AM

Yes Chris, you are correct with the term mountain board. When I was out in Grand Haven the last few yrs, I did notice that the boarders on the lake were using dual line kites with the lines connected to a pole for control.

I personally have not boarded, want to try, need to get better control of my flying first. :oops: But I would think a SLK would not be good unless you want to just go in a straight line?. :lol: No way to get back to your starting point. :oops: Other then hoof'n it.

Hope this helps.

Ken
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 04 2006, 06:02 AM

as it was described to me....

I have an Ozone 3M Riot which I could use for most everything except windsurfing. I can fly it dual or quad, handles or control bar. For buggying, handles seem to be preferred. For things like skiing, the bar was recommended. In fact, when I asked the question to my kite guru, he told me that if I was going to pull myself around on something, I should look at a kite that was depowerable such as a Frenzy (we are Ozone fanatics). With a depowerable, I would have the ability to control the aspect ratio and be able to start my run out with a kite that was effectively smaller and as I got going, adjust the kite to something effectively bigger, giving me the ability to fully control the pull and speed I attainted. A harness was also suggested so that as I was going, the attachment of the bar to my body would allow me to rest my arms, etc. without stopping... someone correct me if my info or memory is wrong..lol

After flying my riot and Dave's Beamer, I would have to agree. The Riot is great static and pulls like a freight train. The first time I flew it there were about 10-12mph winds I went from standing to a face plant that left me about 50 feet from where I started in less than the blink of an eye. I had kite killers on but there wasn't even time to let go.

Of course, you could always get a Power Blast 2-4 as they sure seem to have enough power to pull one around and the ability to dump the power with the flick of a wrist is awesome. Kent (my guru) typically will pull out his PB to buggy in Vegas when the winds are not strong enough for a typical power kite. His story is that the last time he flew with Joe from Rev, he and Joe were the only people able to buggy at all because they had them.

Of course, if you have money falling out the wazoo, you could go with a PB 4-8... :twisted: ... Every time I talk with Lolly from Rev, her first question and recommendation is a PB 4-8... she's an evil woman... :lol:

I did see several kite shops that were selling PB 2-4's for around $297 a month ago or so.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Nov 04 2006, 09:13 AM

What Babbman says is true. Most folks I've seen doing power kiting have a harness and control bar.
The Rev 4-8 flys like a power kite, not much like a rev.
The 2-4 feels more like a Rev, though it has much less power than the 4-8.
You already know how to fly the Rev so that's an advantage over the dual line-control bar setup, however with the Rev your arms will get more of a workout.
The Rev is probably safest, because you can always just let go of the handles...

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 04 2006, 10:52 AM

When I first got into kiting, the 3rd klite I bought was an Ozone 1.5M LD Stunt. I LOVE this kite as in a stiff wind, it has enormous power for it's size. I had tried to fly my Rev 1.5SLE for the first time and it was just an awful experience... I left it alone for a little while and flew the LD. Because the kite is so forgiving, I fould it to be an excellent trainer for Quad Line flying. I'll never forget putting it out for my wife on a 15mph day in May and watching her get pulled all the way across the soccer field while she was screaming at the top of her lungs. It was hysterical but she really loved flying it..

But I digress... After flying the LD, I started thinking that I wanted another, more powerful Power Kite. I immediately started looking at 5M and larger kites. After talking to my friend Kent and having him explain the real poop on power kites, I decided on a 3M Riot. This was a good decision for a static flier as anything bigger wouldn't be fun, it would be scary and painful. Kent runs 'A Wind Of Change' in Vegas and sells LOTS of power kites. He had many stories of people coming in, who had never flown a power kite, and asking for and wanting nothing less than 7 or 9M kites because they thought that bigger was better. Kent is very responsible in his role and refused to sell any of them a large power kite until they came out to his weekly 'fun fly' and flew one. He would put a 3M in their hands and by the time they were done, they didn't want or need anything larger...lol

I think Chris found out how powerful a bigger kite can be (powerblast) and I know how powerful mine is. I'm pretty sure that unless I get into boarding, skiing or surfing, the largest kite I will ever need are in my trunk in the form of the 3M riot and Power Blast 2-4...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

denverberry

Re: Kite Boarding

Postby denverberry » Fri, Nov 17 2006, 08:59 PM

Nicely, Nicely. As far as power/traction there will be MANY kites in your bag for diferent wind conditions. (smaller kite in stronger wind etc... same ol' deal)

And about the harness, not only will it relax the pull on your arms, but you change your CG. Flying traction, (on foot) without a harness pulls hard on your upper body, but when you add a vehicle to it you want to balance the pull toward the mass of your body, give yourself more stability, and harder "bite". (also different types, more on torso, or waste...)

Bar/Quadhandles? There are so many dif bar configurations 2-4-5 line bars, depower, bars, even control bars that twist to apply the break like throttling a motorcycle. It's something you'd have to get a feel for yourself and deside what you like best for your hobby.

ATB's (all terrain board/mountain board) are just as different as kites, no two are the same. I also skate board, and have my deck built up just for me, and the way I like to ride. I have a Popwar Drops Technical series deck set up with Krux trucks, Spitfire Firelight Clasics wheels, and Bones Reds bearings. If you think you're going to start boarding see if you can find someone who has a rig set up and are willing to give you a demo lesson, so you can get the feel for what they ride. ASK QUESTIONS. Ask why they have the board set up the way they do, and what would happen if they changed anything on it. Also, it's much easier to "sidewalk surf" than it is to kite, if you do get a board make sure you feel comfortable just RIDING it FIRST. And then apply power slowly, say start out with a 1.5-2 meter dual line foil, keep it slow. Big power, wheels, and learning only mix well if you REALLY dig big pain.

Have fun and keep it SAFE, Denver. :up:
Denver Berry
Truck Driver
Oak Ridge, TN

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Nov 17 2006, 09:06 PM

Cool, someone who knows what they are talking about when talking about power kites. Welcome again to the club.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Nov 17 2006, 09:22 PM

Welcome aboard Denver.

I myself bought the superblast a few yrs ago, think about getting into boarding also. That was till I tried flying it for the first time and saw just how much more control was needed. It kind of set the time line back a little. You diffidently gave some good food for thought.

Later
Ken
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Fri, Nov 17 2006, 09:24 PM

You notice I fly power with protective gear even in light breeze! Power equals Pain :nurse: if you don't use your head! That's what you've got one for.
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Nov 17 2006, 10:27 PM

and speaking of protective gear... this video always makes my think....

http://media.uselessjunk.org/videos/kit ... ng_fly.wmv

Chris (aka Babbman)

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Fri, Nov 17 2006, 10:38 PM

Oh yeah Babb, that vid can also be found with 7 other foil vids at the Kites R Us website, here's the link.
http://www.kitesrus.com/Merchant2/merch ... y_Code=PKF

I love vid number 7, but I always show the Tophat vid too.
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat, Nov 18 2006, 08:15 AM

OK, this is for you power kite gurus. I want (have) to buy a kite for traction flying and more importantly, I want to try boarding/sledding-grass and snow. I would prefer a BIG kite that pulls like a smaller kite(if that's possible :-D ) big just for effect, looking for something to attract attention when flying.

There are just too many kites to make an uninformed decision. I would prefer 4 lines, since I primarily fly quads, but am open to 2 line also.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Nov 18 2006, 08:44 AM

Chris wrote:OK, this is for you power kite gurus. I want (have) to buy a kite for traction flying and more importantly, I want to try boarding/sledding-grass and snow. I would prefer a BIG kite that pulls like a smaller kite(if that's possible :-D ) big just for effect, looking for something to attract attention when flying.

There are just too many kites to make an uninformed decision. I would prefer 4 lines, since I primarily fly quads, but am open to 2 line also.

I had this trouble also.... If you talk to Lolly, she'll try to sell you a Powerblast 2-4 or 4-8... they really are great for power kiting but somewhat different than a foil..

I love my Ozone Riot and it will have plenty of power for all the above... the Samauri is also a good kite from all that I've heard and you can probably pick up last years version rather cheaply... as for other foils, Beamers seem to be loved by all that have them.... a 3-5M kite will do what you need.... anything bigger is just overkill in my opinion...

Chris (aka Babbman)

denverberry

Postby denverberry » Sat, Nov 18 2006, 07:43 PM

Power kites can get NASTY quick. All it takes is one gust you're not prepaired for to really mess up a good flying day. Big looks cool, but "with great power comes great responsibility". There are power kites in the club, get one of the guys to take you out so you can feel just how much power comes in even a small package. The kite itself only turns eyes in your direction it's how you fly that is the real attention getter. I get dragged all over the place with a 3.6 meter Beamer II, and it draws big attention.
Denver Berry

Truck Driver

Oak Ridge, TN

mrbarbell

Postby mrbarbell » Sun, May 04 2008, 08:53 PM

I think almost all kiteboarding kites are four line... I can't think of any I've seen recently that aren't. Same I think for mountain boards, although you can find some mountain boarding kites that use ram air designs instead of inflated bladders. The lines are attached to a bar, the rear lines to the ends of the bar, so you steer with the rear lines, and the front lines pass together through a hole in the middle of your bar and attach to your harness, so essentially the front lines are attached to you, and the back lines attach to the bar. This allows you to depower the kite by pushing the bar away, in effect lengthening the back lines, changing the aspect of the kite. Most of the newer kite designs feature some kind of bridle system to give the kite a flatter shape, with the older models you attached your lines to pigtails at each corner of the kite, and these were called c-kites (i thought it was 'cause you used them in the sea, sometimes the obvious answers don't come to you. the original kites used were two line ram air kites, but they figured out fairly early that it's really difficult to relaunch a bag of water. The bridle kites (sometimes called SLE for supported leading edge) are much easier to relaunch. I took lessons from Dare2Fly in Cabarete, Dominican Republic, and it's not something I'd want to try to teach a friend. The beginner lessons start flying a two line ram air kite, usually 2 or 3 meter, always with a control bar. After you get used to flying the kite, you inflate a small kiteboarding kite, say 5 meters, and use shorter lines, between 10 and 15 meters, and get used to the harness and the kite. Then you get a real kite, with 20 meter lines. You start in the water by practicing body drags, having the kite pull you around, then add a board, essentially a 150-160 cm wake board. Getting up the first time is the hardest thing to learn. I used a 12m kite in about 14 knots of wind there, but in flat water, 10 knots was plenty. With so much less resistance mountain boarding, and not having to haul my fat ass out of the water to begin with, I think a 7m kite would be scary fast. I think the industry standard mountain board is the MBS core 90, which goes for about $250. That's on my list but after I get some more kites.

penwrite05

Postby penwrite05 » Sun, Mar 01 2009, 08:12 PM

hello! i'm new here.. and new in flying kites as well. my hubby introduced me to this. now i really want to try almost anything and everything. this is kind of addicting. just by looking at your posts.. sounds so cool!

-------------------------
fit tummies

Return to “Power Kites”