Wazo

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Drachenschwanz

Wazo

Postby Drachenschwanz » Tue, Aug 14 2007, 07:54 PM

I'm venturing into the mysterious world of Kite Construction once again and this time my goal is a three line arch called a Wazo. My question lies in the tips of the kite. The whole thing is going to be about 450 cm by 40 cm in the middle tapering to fine points. The design, that JJ was kind enough to plot out for me, is pretty simple but there are three pieces of ripstop that all come together at those fine tips.

Are there any tips, ticks or methods to keep these small areas from looking cruddy with all those seams in such a small place? My Mom's a quiltist and she's going to be one of my sources! I'm trying to get her interested in making a few kites but so far she'd rather make baby quilts for my sisters' munchkins.
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Mike

Re: Wazo

Postby Mike » Tue, Aug 14 2007, 08:25 PM

Is this it?
http://w1.neuronnexion.com/dferment/ukwazo.htm

I would put a nice sized piece of dacron on the tip to reinforce the area where you attach the bridle. That should hide any ugly seam mess! :-D

This sounds like an interesting kite. Hurry up and get it done in time for the Pontiac Festival!!!

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Tue, Aug 14 2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the tip Mike. Yes, that's the one. Here's my "artistic" touch:

You can see the fine points to worry about. As a last resort I may terminate the color stripe an inch or two from the tip but that's not my favorite solution.

It'll be fun figuring out what can be done with a three line kite!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Aug 15 2007, 06:45 AM

It will be very interesting to see how it flies. Since it flaps, it might also look cool to be in the shape of an albatross or something. I guess that will be version 2.0 :-)

AirH0g

Postby AirH0g » Wed, Aug 15 2007, 11:34 AM

That's a pretty neat concept there. I think i may have a go at this one myself. I'm thinking all white though.
So where can you get 5' rods from?
[center]Image[/center]

akillip

Postby akillip » Wed, Aug 15 2007, 08:55 PM

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Aug 16 2007, 08:19 AM

You might also check kitebuilder.com and http://www.goodwindskites.com/

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Thu, Aug 16 2007, 12:59 PM

I got mine from kite builder. Instead of 5 footers I'm using some smaller rods with ferrules. There shouldn't be any problems.

Just a note...be sure to look at the direction page if you are planning on making one. The two biggest panels only have 1 90 degree corner, the bottom is 1.3 cm wider than the top. I almost missed that! Just glad cutting hasn't started yet :roll: Fortunately it just means a slight change on the plans.

One of these days I'll actually follow the directions.....maybe......
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Fri, Aug 17 2007, 01:57 PM

Hey Rick,

You may want to cut in some extra fabric at the outsides of the sail, rather then cutting the pieces all to size before sewing. That may give you some play to get funky edges cleaned up and looking good.

My first thought was to terminate the contrast color before the edge too.
TTFN,
Draftnik

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Fri, Sep 14 2007, 11:17 PM

Finally have all the panels built and ready for connecting. Hopefully it will be done by Sunday. Then you can add 3 line kites to the list that IKE members fly!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

AirH0g

Postby AirH0g » Sat, Sep 15 2007, 12:00 PM

Sweet!, do you have any pictures? I haven't even had a chance to order the materials yet for mine. Looking forward to seeing this if you can get it done in time for Sunday. Did you make the handles yet?
[center]Image[/center]

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Sun, Sep 23 2007, 11:31 AM

AirHog making a kite? This I have to see, your going to start small and by the time your done your going to have a 50M killer power kite.

Did you get your helmet & life insurance yet?

AirHog helped me get my power kite up. Oh my gosh, I need a smaller one. I finally realized I am totally insane. Going to try it again in milder winds.

Return to “Sewing”