Beginners Rev

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Roxy

Re: Beginners Rev

Postby Roxy » Tue, Jul 31 2007, 01:57 AM

:thanks: Thank you David, Mike & Jeff and everyone else for all there help. I ended up getting the kites from someone I know. Overbought, don't yell. I screwed up.

Anyway, I should have tomorrow 1.5 SUL complete including 13" handles and with video I think in the pink white and some other color.

1.5 John Bentelly (sp?) vented comes with everything in IKE club colors. :SLKani:

85? & 120 lines I guess it will be like Christmas, not sure what he all ordered for me

Now if I can get it off the ground..... :wallb:

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 31 2007, 07:24 AM

congrats on the new toys!
We'll make sure you have fun with them, don't worry.

AirH0g

Postby AirH0g » Tue, Jul 31 2007, 03:20 PM

And thus another falls prey to the dark side LOL....
[center]Image[/center]

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Tue, Jul 31 2007, 09:43 PM

I'd be really happy to be on the dark side as long as I can get it off the ground and not sitting in the closet with my Prism.

Didn't come today. :cry:

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jul 31 2007, 09:58 PM

that's ok Roxy... wind seemed crappy today... doesn't look like a decent wind until sat...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jul 31 2007, 11:41 PM

Congrats Roxy. As far as getting off the ground, it will be easier then you think. Plus if you can make it out to any of the fest or our club flies, be sure to get your Prism out of the closet, and bring it with you. For there will be a few people to help you with that one too. :up:
Right Knoted4ever?
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Aug 01 2007, 08:44 AM

Roxy.... my suggestion, as you are a new Rev flyer, is to make sure that you have a good wind...

I just started flying last year and one of my biggest mistakes and biggest sources of frustration was that I thought that wind, ANY wind would be good enough. And I was wrong and was becoming pretty frustrated. I also didn't realize just how large a wind shadow could be cast by trees and houses. Having a field means nothing if it is surrounded by tall stuff...

Last year, the winds were pretty awful from spring through most of the summer, for the most part. at first, if saw that there was going to be a 3-5mph wind, I thought I was golden, but, since I didn't have a clue on how to fly, I was just frustrated and sweaty...

I would suggest that you wait for something > 5mph that is steady... preferably, something on the order of 10mph. This will ensure that if you do have to fight to get it in the air, that you are fighting your lack of knowledge rather than lack of lift...

Also, look at the wind direction and try to find a spot that has an unobstructed view from that direction. As an example, in Aurora at IMSA, the west side of the field is bordered by a subdivision and trees. If the wind is coming from that direction, I try to find another place to fly or else I go as far east as possible in the field. You will be surprised at how much the airflow can be interrupted and how difficult it can make flying, let alone learning to fly. I believe the rule is taking the height of trees/buildings and then going 7 times that distance from them to get back into smoother winds... Someone correct me if I am wrong.

But, since I was where you are now, just a year ago, I hope this all makes sense and helps you avoid any frustration that is awaiting you!

Finally, on your SUL. If you decide that you will start learning on this, be careful about planting the kite (which you WILL do) on it's side and bending the leading edge too much. The 2 wrap spars are fragile if you hit the right (wrong) way. If you see you are going to plant it, try to get it leading edge down before hitting... it can handle it better. :up:

C

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Aug 01 2007, 01:03 PM

Excellent suggestions Babbman. It took me while to learn that it really is worth driving a bit further to get to a place with good wind. Even more important for beginners.

As far as the distance from obstructions, I have heard from 7 to 11 times the distance. My favorite is the "rule of thumb": Face the obstructing buildings or trees and stretch your arm out full length with your thumb sticking up, you know, like a stereotypical artist. If the obstruction is smaller than your thumb, you're good.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Aug 01 2007, 04:24 PM

Mike... I know what you mean... I wish I had a group like this to go to back in April, 2006 rather than it taking me until October, 2006 to find all of this out for myself... I was amazed at how much I had never paid attention to the wind before then... I had no idea what to expect and every single time I ordered a new kite, I found myself having to wait for over a week before I could actually fly it.

One thing I do remember though is that this same time last year was just plain dead as far as wind went....

Roxy, a couple of other things...

Watch the videos... you won't remember what you saw for the most part without the experience of flying yourself, but they are useful.

Lines - when you open your lines up for the 1st time, you will be a bit daunted at how to untangle them... I would

1) put your stake in the ground (or a screwdriver or something like that... trust us, you will need one)

2) hook all 4 lines over the stake and unwind the lines to the end.

3) You should have something like 2 black and 2 white end loops. Take a white and black in each hand, pull them towards you until they are taunt.

4) with the pair in each hand, stretch your arms out as wide as possible to separate the lines back towards the stake.

5) lay the pairs down on the ground and walk back to your stake. Do your best to unwind/untangle/unhook the lines from each other at that end. Above all, LOOSELY jiggle and shake the lines until they fall apart, DO NOT PULL at them and get everything tightened up. This is the natural reaction so avoid it. Just shake and unwind nice and calm. It might take you 5 or 10 mins but it is worth it if you do not end up with a tangled mess.

6) Once you have 2 pairs of lines laid out, hook up your handles. I always do White on top and black on bottom. It doesn't matter as long as you know which is top and which is bottom. As for which knots to use on the handles.... the long leader with 6 knots or so is the top, the short 2 knot leader is the bottom. Take your top line, make a larks head and slip it over the knot closest to the handle and pull it tight. Take the bottom line, larks head it and slip it over the knot farthest from the handle on the bottom.

(NOTE: I say slip the top line over the knot closest to the handle because this will give you the most angle of attack on the kite, hence, more lift, which is something that every new flyer should have, IMHO. after you get used to flying, you can move the top line out to the other knots until you find a comfortable position for you)

7) Now, walk out to the end of the lines, unroll your kite and put the leading edge together while it is still inside the leading edge material. I usually find the ends and feel them with my fingers outside the kite until they meet and fully are inserted. New kites can be a bit stiff... don't force it, wiggle it gently until it slides home. Do this for both sides and then slip the end caps over the spars ,making sure that the bridle is not twisted under the cap.

8) Vertical Spars... This seems to be the biggest source of trouble for most beginners. Take the kite and look at the Rev logo. The Rev logo is readable from the FRONT. Lay the kite down on it's front side. Now, take the vertical spars and slide them in the caps on the BACK OF THE KITE.

9) take the assembled kite and lay it face down over your lines with the leading edge towards your handles (in to the wind). Lift up the bottom tips of the kite and connect the lines to the bridle.

10) Stand the kite up on it's bottom tips and hold on to the kite. You don't want it to fly on it's own, yet... Angle the bottom tips back towards you handles so that the wind is pushing down on the kite...

11) Go to your handles, pick them up and do any untwisting you need to.

12) have fun

Hope this helps..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Aug 01 2007, 11:22 PM

:clap :clap Bravo Babbman :clap :clap

Sounds like you have been there before, just like the rest of us. Very well worded. and so true about trying to fly in too light of a wind. Can be so frustrating!!! When first learning I would try not to go out in any thing less then 8 to 10 mph.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Thu, Aug 09 2007, 03:01 PM

Mike wrote:As far as the distance from obstructions, I have heard from 7 to 11 times the distance. My favorite is the "rule of thumb": Face the obstructing buildings or trees and stretch your arm out full length with your thumb sticking up, you know, like a stereotypical artist. If the obstruction is smaller than your thumb, you're good.

Excellent tip! I will certainly share it when ever the occasion arises. Thanks for sharing! :up:
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Roxy

Postby Roxy » Thu, Aug 09 2007, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the advice Babman.

Your right on doing it helps you remember. Jeff showed me, he has the patience of a saint. Hopfully I remembered half of what he showed me. He did help me to get the prism & his rev up, so there is hope for me yet. Bringing the revs on the trip, hoping for an open area in the north woods, but not getting my hopes up.

Justin turned me on to power kites, so I ordered one like his but a 6m. I have been sucked into the dark side, and you know what, I really like it here! :-D

Wishing you all a great breezy weekend for the fests. Wish I could have joined.

Oh, I just noticed Perry Farms postponed, Yippie for me! I know how some of you were really lQQking forward to it. Sorry

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Aug 10 2007, 05:50 AM

Roxy wrote:
Justin turned me on to power kites, so I ordered one like his but a 6m. I have been sucked into the dark side, and you know what, I really like it here! :-D

Be very careful with something that size. I fly both a 1.5 meter and a 3 meter and find the 3 meter as much as I would want to handle. In terms of size, I believe the rule of thumb is that pull increases by a factor of 3 for each meter you go up in size... a kite this size can hurt you pretty bad

Kent (awindofchange) is our resident guru on power kiting and always has great advice. Hopefully he will chime in here.

Take a look in this thread to see what a 3M in 10 mph winds can do... there are some youtube videos about half way down the 1st page... you'll Chris being pulled around pretty well..

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri, Aug 10 2007, 09:14 PM

I think you missed the link Babbman!

Here is Kent's post on the power kite topic... http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=244

Babb is 100% on the mark; these kites deserve MUCH respect (I almost learned the hard way last year in Naperville :( ). The 6M will be a joy to fly in LIGHT winds, but could potentially be dangerous in higher winds.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, Aug 10 2007, 09:42 PM

Just make sure you can let go easily. I would not use a harness until you know what the kite can do. I used to fly a five meter Peel (an older Peter Lynn power kite) on dead man handles with a strap around my back, the handles would release the line if you let go of the handle. I would not want to be flying an unknown power kite from any sort of harness that required that I do anything but let go to release the kite.

Unfortunately, I have not seen dead man handles on the market for years, but then I have not looked for them.

And just to make certain people shake their heads, I have no idea where either of my Peels or the dead man handles are. :oops:
Alan Sparling

Return to “Quad Line Kites”