New member to the family

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Frodos Majik

New member to the family

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Jul 29 2007, 10:58 PM

Well I am about done with cutting out the pieces for my next spiky ball. The EIGHT footer. :shock: :shock: :twisted: Any words of wisdom from those who have done them, before I step off into the deep? Besides rent a scuba tank. :shock: :rotfl :shock:

Man that is ALOT of material!!!

I should have it done before Pontiac. :up: Maybe if I am lucky before the picnic. 8)
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Re: New member to the family

Postby Mike » Mon, Jul 30 2007, 05:51 AM

When I made mine, I just used simple seams. That is, I just sewed the edges together. After a few years, some of them are starting to tear. If I were to do it again, I might make a "fell seam". The kind where you fold it over and stitch again.
The disadvantages are that it's twice as much sewing and the stitching shows on the outside.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jul 30 2007, 05:59 AM

when I did my 6', I started by sewing sections together. i.e. 1 took 1 pentagon and sewed 5 hexagons to it. Then I sewed these completed sections together. Made for handling 'relatively' small sections of material at a time. But, eventually, this thing get's really big and unwieldy..

Good luck!

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Mon, Jul 30 2007, 09:31 PM

Yes I understand what you are saying Mike, and I will be doing just that. A specially with using the softer material from Hancock. That material likes to fray too easy with just a single stitch. As I have found out with Gus's eyes.

Babbman thats the way I did Gus too.

:thanks:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Aug 07 2007, 11:50 PM

Update on the addition...

All pieces have been cut out, the spikes are on the pentagons, and as of tonight I have the first five hexs sewn to the pentagon.

It took a little longer to start piecing the parts together cause the hexs will be two- tone. So that was double the cut and sewing.

Sorry to say, but it will not be done for the picnic. :( But for sure it will be done for Pontiac. :twisted: HOLY CRAP Batman, there is a lot of sewing here!! :shock:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Aug 08 2007, 07:41 AM

Having it at Pontiac will be great!
And yeah, miles of thread will be used.

Knoted4ever

Re: New Member To The Family

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Aug 08 2007, 08:45 PM

The kids will love it, Ken! :up:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Aug 10 2007, 12:45 AM

:shock: :shock: Almost half way done. Oh what have I gotten into. :lol: :shock: :shock:

God I am so glad I have a mostly empty garage to work in!! My god I would have surly been so lost for weeks in my little room.

By the way I have found out that you can use masonite board for a decent hot cutting surface. With the hot iron it only leaves a small cut line as if it were done by a razor. But be sure to use the smooth/shiny side. Fuzzy side would be bad. Nice thing about using the board is, it can be very cheap, like only 2/3 dollars for a 2x4 sheet. Can also get in a 4x4 or 4x8. Using the 2x4 size it can easily be stored away, and with three of that size it will equal a six foot. Which of course is the width of RSN. :wink: :wink:

Just thought I would pass the little tid bit on. :up:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Aug 21 2007, 01:12 AM

Well my "Blue Eyed BETTY" can now see but cannot talk yet, only have the mouth and bridles to go. This pass weekend was perrrrfect for sewing with all the rain. THANK GOD!!! :shock:

Betty will be accompanying me out to Pontiac this weekend. :mrblue: :mrblue: OH YAaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!

Coming up on almost 2000 yrds of thread. To date this IS the largest project I have EVER taken on. I dont know if I want to go any bigger then this was, man you start to pull hair out making sure you have the pieces lined up in the right spot!!! I sure lost some time checking and rechecking to make sure that the panels were in the right spot. Sorry but i took no pictures, there are enough floating around from all the balls done to date. Will have taken from the fest this weekend. :wink:

Hey Chris, hats off to you if you tackle the 13 footer you want to do!! Better take scuba lessons first, because you will be swimming to material!! :shock: :lol:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Aug 21 2007, 08:41 AM

Frodos Majik wrote:...Coming up on almost 2000 yrds of thread...

That's over a mile of thread!

Return to “Sewing”