Short Quad Line Sets

It's not just string any more. Talk about lines and line sets and anything else associated with them.
Babbman

Short Quad Line Sets

Postby Babbman » Mon, Nov 13 2006, 04:40 PM

What's the most practical length for a short quad line set? I really want to fly in my yard this winter but don't have a lot of room. I played briefly with a set of 25' lines and they were just too short for my tastes...

Looking for the balance between usability and clubbing myself over the head with my kite... :revspin:

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Mike

Re: Short Quad Line Sets

Postby Mike » Mon, Nov 13 2006, 05:56 PM

I think personal taste has a lot to do with it.
Having said that, I think anyone can get used to 50' very quickly and 35' feels short, but flyable to me.
When they fly indoor, they are flying the same sized kite on 15' or less.

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Nov 13 2006, 09:54 PM

Well, after flying on the 15' set I made, I must say they are a really too short to fly with much wind. That being said I haven't had a chance to try them on a no wind day, so the vote is still out on this length.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

ZippyD

Postby ZippyD » Thu, Nov 16 2006, 10:11 PM

Good topic. I've often felt a breeze coming down the street and wondered...hmm.

I don't want to hijack, but to something you said, Chris:
I am absolutely the worst indoor pilot I've ever seen. With that said,
a 'no wind' day and 'indoor' are two noticeably different things. You will find moves that work indoor getting knocked out of the air outside. Our (or at least my) perception of wind just doesn't pick up on that 0.1 to 0.3 mph that ruins 360 degree flying outside. My whole point is that 15' indoor will seem long-ish to a beginner and you may find you like it quite a bit. But for wind-ed flying, it is insanely close to the kite. ymmv.
Be well,
Dan

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Wed, Aug 27 2008, 02:19 PM

Okay, it's been almost two years since this topic was discussed ... time for some new life. What experience have you had with short lines on Revs?

It was just recently suggested to me that 50 foot line sets are great for light wind conditions ... and, I've read where it gives a whole new feel to the kite. I noticed on Northernly Island, when the winds were very light, that everyone grabbed their 80 foot line sets ... so, there might be something to shorter lines for lighter winds. I've got an 80 foot line set, a 120 foot line set and some left over 90# Lazer Pro Gold line ... would be easy to make up a 50 foot line set.

What's your experience and advice?
Last edited by Jeepster on Wed, Aug 27 2008, 03:32 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed, Aug 27 2008, 02:44 PM

It's nice to have different lengths mostly so that you can fly in places with varying amounts of available space.

I've got 3 sets...120', 75', and 25'.

I can fly the 25' in my front yard. (We don't have a lot of space.)

I suppose that with shorter lines you can do different things in light winds, but I'm not sure it's always better. If you've got better wind up high, you'll want longer lines to get your kite to the wind.

In poor winds using longer lines might lead to more slack though. I'm not sure why, but I feel like that happens. Maybe it's the droop in the line over the distance to the kite. But that leads to another reason that bad wind might lead to the choice of a shorter line...less weight pulling the kite down.

It's nice to have a set for any situation though. I've thought myself of adding a 50' set to my collection.
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Aug 27 2008, 08:13 PM

Jeff wrote:
In poor winds using longer lines might lead to more slack though. I'm not sure why, but I feel like that happens. Maybe it's the droop in the line over the distance to the kite.

I believe that with the longer lines and light winds the response is slower. Do to the fact that there is not as much push on the kite like in higher winds. So the response takes long to get there.

Now as far as what line sets does everybody have, I have 120s, 75s and a 50 foot set.

As Jeff stated its nice to have different lengths for different reasons... crowded space, limit space or light winds work well with 50s or 75s. With the shorter lines the response is much faster which can make up for light winds. Try flying with 50s in better winds, take about twitchy. Of course you cannot do as well with short lines and team flying, it can be done but quite hard.

Hope this help some Tom.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Aug 31 2008, 02:49 AM

when I use short lines in light wind it's more like indoor flying. It gives me more room to move around.

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Mon, Sep 01 2008, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I made a set of 50 foot lines last night and tried them out this morning. The winds were right around two miles per hour most of the time I was flying with my B-series and 2 wraps. Yep, I bought an inexpensive wind meter so I could learn what the different wind speeds feel like. First out were my 80 foot lines ... they were okay, but I really had to work to keep the kite in the air. When I switched to the 50 foot lines, it became much easier to keep the kite in the air. I think Ken was right, the shorter lines make the control input faster and more direct ... that results in not having to anticipate what is going to happen with normal wind shifts, etc. You don't have to suddenly back up so much to tighten the lines when the winds change. With shorter lines, it's easier to follow the center of the wind window when it shifts around.

I'm guessing that after flying with 50 foot lines for a while, the learning curve will start to level out and the 80 foot lines will be easier to fly with in light winds. But, in the mean time, think I'll make a set of 25 foot lines ... after all, I can't quite read the iQuad emblem on the kite ... 25 foot lines should solve that problem.

linekahuna

Postby linekahuna » Mon, Dec 29 2008, 04:09 PM

Have tried 10' lines on a Rev 1. :rotfl
Too short, hit the ground every time I tried to make a spin.
For catch and toss I prefer lines under 50'.
Throwing is difficult if lines are longer.
Lines 90-120' long are what a friend and I use to team fly.
Flying a stack requires longer lines, up to 150'.
Have made up a set of 100' quad lines in five minutes one day.
I carry close to 20 quadline sets from 10' to 150', 50-150 lb.
Carry 40 line sets for dual line kites, 20'-150', 30- 500 lb.

LK.
Last edited by linekahuna on Tue, Dec 30 2008, 03:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Dec 29 2008, 05:27 PM

Wow, that's a lotta lines! You've earned your nickname linekahuna!

grigorib

Postby grigorib » Sun, Apr 29 2012, 11:47 PM

I've made 48' set and had great time last December walking down the beach by Punta Cana. Short enough to avoid trees and kept rev responsive.
120'+79'+48' make my three nice sets.

Completely opposite to the topic subject but I'm wondering if anyone ever tried 1000' quad set?

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Apr 30 2012, 10:11 AM

I also like a 25' or even 15' set on occasion. Nice to have super short line sets on very light wind days and playing with the crowd with a light weight kite.

Re: 1000' line set. That would be pretty expensive! I also wonder if the stretch and sag of the lines would make the kite difficult to control well.
Jynx has a set of 250' (?) lines that are very easy to get used to. It's fun to mess with people on that length lines, they don't know where the flier is! After I flew on her line set, when I went back to my 120's, they felt short :)

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Mon, Apr 30 2012, 10:41 PM

Mike wrote:Jynx has a set of 250' (?) lines that are very easy to get used to. It's fun to mess with people on that length lines, they don't know where the flier is! After I flew on her line set, when I went back to my 120's, they felt short :)

:up: Love my 250's But you definitely have to find the 'right' place to fly them! ...Other than our local Veterans Park (Milwaukee, WI Lakefront) it's hard to find an area spacious enough to accommodate that length. :shock: (Though Treasure Island,FL and South Padre Island,TX also had the space).
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Mon, Apr 30 2012, 10:49 PM

I just have to even up the length on a set of 40s I've made, and I'll be hoping to try them out this week. I had a blast with Mikey's 40s when I borrowed them last summer. Since I cut the 40s out of a couple 120ft lines, I'm left with 80 feet left on one line . . . . maybe I'll make a set of 20s also. I've been flying most of the last several months on 75s just because it takes slightly less time to set up and take down.

Lately, whenever I'm back on 120s, the kite seems tiny & so far away. I can't imagine how tiny it would be on 250s! Jynx - do you find it takes a lot of wind to get over the line sag on that length?

Jeepster

Postby Jeepster » Tue, May 01 2012, 07:24 AM

You might be interested in watching one of Steve de Rooy's videos!

Cheers,
Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwfHN2KkK6w&feature=channel&list=UL

Jynx

Postby Jynx » Tue, May 01 2012, 05:13 PM

My 250' lines fly pretty much as the 120's do! ...Maybe a bit slower to react but not much.

Others have flown them... rhyme in and give your opinion.

Steve's 240's are sets of (larks-headed) 120's and the sensible way to try out long-lines before buying or making a set. :up:
[align=center]"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power, then there will be peace"[/align][align=center]-Jimi Hendrix[/align]

goestoeleven

Postby goestoeleven » Tue, May 01 2012, 06:25 PM

Jynx wrote:My 250' lines fly pretty much as the 120's do! ...Maybe a bit slower to react but not much.

Others have flown them... rhyme in and give your opinion.

Steve's 240's are sets of (larks-headed) 120's and the sensible way to try out long-lines before buying or instead of making a set. :up:

FTFY :-P

Why . . . we could even larks head additional sets together to get 360, 480 . . . . etc. Maybe something fun to try at the next club fly at Meigs, where we have a long ex-runway to use for extended length* (*assumes north or south winds).

I've seen that Steve Derooy video before - it looked like the wind was really blowing, so he had no problem with lifting the longer lines.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, May 01 2012, 08:19 PM

Jynx wrote:
Others have flown them... rhyme in...

250 lines are quite long,
The winds really need to be strong.
Too distant to see,
When the kite hits a tree,
You'll be singing an unhappy song.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, May 01 2012, 10:37 PM

You beat me to it. Nice bit o' poetry :)

Return to “Lines”