Decisions, Decisions...which 1.5 To Get...?

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Jeff

Decisions, Decisions...which 1.5 To Get...?

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 10:36 AM

I talked a little with Mike about this at our last fly, but I wanted to get any other input folks might have.

I'm looking to get a 1.5 and 120' lines so I can practice team flying. My wife had promised me a Quad for my birthday in May, and I keep putting it off because a) I'm not sure what I want, and b) money isn't exactly freely flowing at the moment. (Although I have something going on that may help in the second department soon.)

So basically at some point, I'd like 2 kites that will pretty much cover most of the wind range, but for now, I'd like to get the kite that will allow me to fly most often, given how inconsistent our winds can be around here.

One kite that I know I want is a vented B series. (Probably in gold)

The other? I'm thinking an SUL SLE. (Red/black)

Seems those 2 would enable me to fly most any time, no?

But then the next question...which to get first? I just can't do both right now. And I'm already inclined to go with the SLE for several reasons. First, it's cheaper. Next, although we get some good days, it seems that most days I wouldn't be able to fly the vented, or at least, would get better performance from the SUL because of lighter wind. Plus, on the days that I am fortunate enough to fly with others, there will likely be somebody there who can loan out a vented kite if conditions are right. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink. :wink: )

So, it sounds like I have talked myself into the SUL. Does that sound like the "right" plan, or is there something else I should be considering?
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Re: Decisions, Decisions...which 1.5 To Get...?

Postby Mike » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 10:58 AM

You already know I like that plan. The exact terminology in rev-speak is an "SUL 1.5". The SLE is a 1.5 sail with a thick spar, which you don't want.
The SUL comes with a 2 wrap spar.
The vented B-series come with a 3 wrap and a 4 wrap spar.

That would cover everything in my opinion.
The rest of you guys should chime in now. Even if it's just to support my idea :-D

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 11:13 AM

The b-series really throws a monkey wrench into the works.

Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I would own a B-Series Standard and B-Series Vented. I believe that these 2 will cover anything except 0 wind flying.

On Thursday, we had little wind to start with but I flew the B-Series standard up until we could go vented in the afternoon. For the really light winds, I use the 2 wrap spar and pulled the knots all the way back to the know closest to the handle. It gave me good lift and control.

There is nothing wrong with the SUL though and if you are budget conscious, then the SUL may be the way to go. The only thing I don't like to do is fly it in that in-between range where the wind is too heavy for the SUL but to light for the vented. But that's just me.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 11:27 AM

Mike wrote:The exact terminology in rev-speak is an "SUL 1.5". The SLE is a 1.5 sail with a thick spar, which you don't want.
The SUL comes with a 2 wrap spar.

I see...On the Rev site, the SUL was under the SLE link, so I assumed it was called that.

When you say "thick" spar, do you mean that it actually has a larger diameter, or just that it's a 3 wrap and not a 2 wrap?

Once I did get both kites, could I use the 2 wrap frame from the SUL in the B-series?

IKE is on Image too!

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 02:42 PM

Jeff,

The thick spar is the SLE (super leading edge). This spar is larger diameter than the standard 1/4" spar and is included in the 1.5 SLE kite and as an option for the Rev 1. The SLE comes in 3 wrap and 4 wrap combinations.

I would recommend getting the B-series standard, here are the reasons:

You first mentioned that you are wanting to get a 120' lineset. This would be a custom lineset as none of the Rev's come pre-packaged with this length of lineset. This would mean that you will have to purchase a 1.5 as a kite only option, then add in the handles and go for a custom made lineset. The B-series does not come with a lineset so you can purchase the kite and any lineset that you require. The kite already comes with the advanced DVD, two complete frames, handles with pre-tied knots on the leaders, and the weight kit (which is not available on any other Rev.)

Next you are looking for the most versatility, the standard B-series gives you just that in one complete package. With the two frame sets you can fly the kite in 2(ish) mph winds up to 20+ mph winds very easily. This is not possible with a 1.5 SUL. Use the supplied 2 wrap frame for light wind flying, change to the 3 wrap for normal winds, then add in both leading edges for high wind flying. This kite will work perfectly for you when you finally add in the vented version.

One kite will cover the whole wind range. If you purchase the 1.5 SUL you will find that you will also need (want) the standard 1.5 as well for when the wind is stronger than the SUL can handle but not quite strong enough for your Vented. You would need 3 kites but with the b-series you could almost get away with only one kite but will be more than happy with the standard and vented with no gaps in the wind. In the long run this will be less expensive.

The standard B-series will cost you about 100 bucks more than the 1.5 SUL BUT you will actually be getting a 1.5 SUL AND a 1.5 SLE in one package which will be about $220.00 less.

example -
(prices are estimated)

B-series Standard $299.00
*with two complete frames, advanced DVD, bag & weight kit*
120' Shanti Spectra lineset $79.00
Total $378.00

1.5 SLE complete - $269.00
*with handles, beginner DVD, bag, factory 85' lineset and manual*
1.5 SUL - $199.00
*kite/bag only, no accessories*
1/4" 3 wrap leading edge to change out the SLE $48.00
120' Shanti Spectra lineset $79.00
Total $595.00
**with this option, you still don't have the advanced DVD, the pre-tied handles and the weight kit**

Hope that helps.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 04:04 PM

It's good information. I appreciate it.

I guess I was thinking that there wasn't a significant gap between the range of the SUL and the vented-B with 2 wraps. The B is rated down to 5mph with the 3 wrap frame, and I would think that you would get even a smidge lower with 2 wraps. What is the upper limit for an SUL anyway?

I'm not terribly concerned with the handles, since I already have some and a 75' line set. And the beginner video isn't necessary.

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 05:14 PM

The B-Series standard comes with a 2 wrap and 3 wrap frame and handles.
The vented B-series comes with a 3 wrap and 4 wrap and handles.

If you get both B-Series, you'll have 2 sets of handles and 2 sets of 3-wrap frames. This is handy, but not the way to go for a budget. Especially if you already have handles.

An SUL and a Vented B-Series will get you the same wind-range without duplication.

You can put the 3-wrap frame from the Vented-B in the SUL when you want to fly the SUL in heavier wind. Usually as the wind picks up though, I will switch from a SUL with 2-wrap to a Vented with a 2-wrap. Then Vented with 3 wrap, then Vented with 4 wrap.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 05:27 PM

Mike wrote:An SUL and a Vented B-Series will get you the same wind-range without duplication.

You can put the 3-wrap frame from the Vented-B in the SUL when you want to fly the SUL in heavier wind. Usually as the wind picks up though, I will switch from a SUL with 2-wrap to a Vented with a 2-wrap. Then Vented with 3 wrap, then Vented with 4 wrap.

That's pretty much the way I was looking at it. Maximum mix and match capability once I have both kites.

When I win the lottery though, I will be purchasing a standard and vented B-series in each and every color. :-D

IKE is on Image too!

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 08:44 PM

I would follow our teacher's advice. But if the budget is too tight....MAKE YOUR OWN REVO... :shock:
in fact make two, is cheaper, any color you want and you can buy the original Spars for different winds, you can also get bridles, anything you want...Just have to work a little, that's all...
I am gonna make me another one soon, and just to be in the perfect alignment...one single color, one single wing...NO PROBLEMO this way, not a lot of sewing, very easy... :up:
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 08:48 PM

Hector Herrera wrote:I would follow our teacher's advice. But if the budget is too tight....MAKE YOUR OWN REVO... :shock:
in fact make two, is cheaper, any color you want and you can buy the original Spars for different winds, you can also get bridles, anything you want...Just have to work a little, that's all...
I am gonna make me another one soon, and just to be in the perfect alignment...one single color, one single wing...NO PROBLEMO this way, not a lot of sewing, very easy... :up:

That's a bit advanced for me still...

:wink:

IKE is on Image too!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 01:26 AM

Jeff I agree with Mike, though keep in mind I have not really flown the B series at all. So my view is a little one sided.

Also the sul will handle a pretty good breeze too. As far as the regular 1.5(sle), I would not get that one, the reason being between the sul and the vented you will be able to cover the full wind range. One other thing keep in mind how our winds are around here, either real light or heavy. Not to much in between. That is why I just took my sle and turned it into a vented.

Just my .02.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Postby Chris » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 05:25 AM

I'd say, go with the standard B series. It comes with 2 and 3 wrap spar sets, and from what I've read, the B is only a half ounce more than an SUL.

From the rev site- Wind Range: 3-10 mph (2 wrap frame) 4-16 mph (3 wrap frame) 6-20 mph (3 wrap frame w/2 wrap LE added) Wing Span: 91" Frame(s): 2-wrap 1/4" spars 3-wrap 1/4" spars

This kite does cost a bit more, but I think it is well worth the extra cost.

That being said, I agree with Babbman, that if I were to only own two kites, the Vented and standard B series would be the way to go.
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 08:07 AM

This is almost funny.... it's the b-series vs the SUL...lol

Again, I personally like the B-Series for many reasons and when confronted with a choice, will always pull it out over anything else, including my SUL. And, to make things even more difficult, with the new race series of rods coming out, they would take the B-Series down even further in the wind range.

I would suggest this Jeff...

Go here and read what a lot more people have had to say about the B-Series. I know that they are comparing it to the SLE but you will get a few more opinions over there than here and maybe some other considerations not presented here.

http://www.revkites.com/forum/index.php ... ic=378&hl=

And finally, depending on when you want to get one, you are more than welcome to fly my b-series standard with 2 wrap rods against my SUL to see what feels better to you, for in the end, that's what it comes down too..

And as a final note, if you are going to get a B-series vented in the future, getting a B-series standard will also let you have 2 kites in the same color patterns.

Or, you could just be like me and buy them all... makes it real easy then...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 09:21 AM

Babbman wrote:Or, you could just be like me and buy them all... makes it real easy then...

I will be impressed when you tell me you have a Backtracker, then I will believe you have ALL of the Revs. For those who have never heard of the Backtracker, it was an entry level kite and the worst Rev ever. Yes, I have one somewhere, Joe gave it to me when I pointed out that I had every other Rev (At the time). It was horrific.
Alan Sparling

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 09:21 AM

Babbman wrote:This is almost funny.... it's the b-series vs the SUL...lol

Well, not a true "vs" situation. After all, the eventual plan is that I will have both. 8)

It's more of a question of which first. I did even think about whether I would want the same colors. But really, I like both designs and wouldn't mind having one of each. I think that the most practical choice for right now is the SUL. I do still have those wonderful Rev 1.0's when the wind picks up more, but I think I will get more mileage out of the light wind kite in the short term. Especially around here. Unfortunately, this is also a period of time where I have to be pinching pennies as much as I can. I told my wife that I was ok to wait until things loosened up a bit, and was feeling a little guilty for indulging in such a luxury. However, she insisted that I go ahead. And honestly, I'm not sure it isn't a necessity. It helps me keep my sanity. :-)

And by the way, I'm not ruling out also getting a standard B in the future either. Just not now. :P

IKE is on Image too!

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 09:36 AM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:
Babbman wrote:Or, you could just be like me and buy them all... makes it real easy then...

I will be impressed when you tell me you have a Backtracker, then I will believe you have ALL of the Revs. For those who have never heard of the Backtracker, it was an entry level kite and the worst Rev ever. Yes, I have one somewhere, Joe gave it to me when I pointed out that I had every other Rev (At the time). It was horrific.

lol... I found one..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Revolution-Backtrac ... dZViewItem

I know that Mike has one also...

Chris (aka Babbman)

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 11:07 AM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:I will be impressed when you tell me you have a Backtracker...

I have one!

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 11:44 AM

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, Jul 21 2007, 07:58 PM

Decision made.

Woo-hoo!

Today was a perfect example of why I got the SUL first. Got a little flying in today on the new 120' line set I just made. Barely even enough wind for this little guy.

:revspin:

IKE is on Image too!

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jul 21 2007, 08:41 PM

Nice looking kite! I plan on getting an SUL just like that one of these days.

Return to “Quad Line Kites”