Venting my SLE

Questions and conversations related to sewing up a magnificent kite creation.
Frodos Majik

Venting my SLE

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Jun 27 2007, 11:32 PM

I took my reg. Sle and vented it with some tribal art. I had also cut out the mylar and sewn in strip of rip stop instead. The green is were the mylar was. Here are a few shots of the work.
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Chris

Re: Venting my SLE

Postby Chris » Thu, Jun 28 2007, 05:01 AM

Great looking job Ken! :up:
How's it fly?
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Pkrekel

Re: Venting My SLE

Postby Pkrekel » Thu, Jun 28 2007, 08:03 AM

Looks really great :up:

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, Jun 28 2007, 11:21 AM

I flew it at Perry Farms in light winds. It flies like a kite with more venting than the standard vented. Slow and steady, kind of like Ben's lattice Rev.
It will be interesting to try in higher winds, in the wind range it is probably designed for.

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Thu, Jun 28 2007, 08:02 PM

:shock: another BEAUTY... You guys up north are really into it!... aren't you? in just a few months time, since the creations of IKE club, so many kite have been designed, and made, it is really amazing. [smiley smilie=1 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]CONGRATULATIONS[/smiley] [smiley smilie=1 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=000000 shieldshadow=1]IT'S JUST BEAUTIFULL...[/smiley]
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Jun 29 2007, 12:24 AM

:thanks: :oops:

Yes Hector, I have been bitten hard by the sewing bug. As far as a few others too. I still cannot believe just how easy it is to sew!!!!

As far as the flying goes, like Mike said in the lighter winds it is nice and soft. I will have to take out the regular vented and the tribal on the same day to compare the flying differences. Which will be hard to do, cause I REALLY, really like the look of the tribal. :mrblue:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Jul 03 2007, 11:23 PM

Looks even better in real life! :up: My wife, who quilts, was very impressed by it! :up:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Mon, Jul 09 2007, 11:31 PM

Now, that is one impressive vent job! (I am hard to impress, too!!) :shock:
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 01:05 AM

:oops: Thanks Kiteguy, but it real was not that hard. The only part that was hard, was finding a way to keep the screening material in place while sewing it down.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 06:22 PM

Frodos Majik wrote: The only part that was hard, was finding a way to keep the screening material in place while sewing it down.

OOPS! You grabbed my attention! How DID you keep it in place while sewing it?

I was trying to hold some nylon net screening in place to sew the other day....with no success. :oops:
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 11:26 PM

Well Kiteguy, I tried a few different thing...

pinning - was hard to keep it from puckering at the end,

glue stick - but the glue would not adhere to the screen, it was the cheap crap, (DOH!!!! should have known better) the good stuff might work.

but in the end what I used was some stuff I found at "JoAnnes" a sewing shop around town. The stuff is called "Unique Stitch", it is like elmers glue. But after it dries it is pliable and washable. Just a dab here and there, let it dry for awhile and away I went. I think it was around 3 or 4 dollars for a 1- 1/4 oz tube.

I have also used it on my spikey ball to repair a tear in a seam. It has held up rather quite well against the abuse the little and not so little tikes have given it. :up:

Hope this helps.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Tue, Jul 10 2007, 11:42 PM

When they vent a sail, to hold the screen in place, Rev appears to use the same double stick tape they use on the other seams. It remains exposed through the openings in the screen to attract dirt and sand. The Unique Stitch sounds like a great idea. Perhaps after it dries, it won't attract unwanted dirt and sand.

Jim
Go Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Jul 11 2007, 11:10 PM

True Jim and it is not as NASTY to sew through as the tape is. Man that stuff REALLY gums up the needle. I am in the process of replacing the mylar on my other vented kite with r/s. The first little section I tried to cut just inside of the seam between the r/s and the mylar. OMG sewing through the tape was that a nightmare!!!! :shock: YUCKY!!!!!!!! :evil:

breath on you.

-------

Ken

awindofchange

Postby awindofchange » Thu, Jul 12 2007, 12:17 PM

One trick that I have learned when sewing through sticky tape is to use a sponge wet with rubbing alcohol. Just rest the sponge against the needle while you sew. The tape won't gum up the needle and the alcohol evaporates pretty much as you sew.

Hope that helps.
Happy Winds!
Kent
www.awindofchange.com

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, Jul 12 2007, 10:57 PM

Thanks Kent, :up: will have to try that.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Thu, Jul 12 2007, 11:21 PM

I have no trouble at all sewing through seam tape. What kind of machine, size needle and type of thread are you using?

Jim

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Fri, Jul 13 2007, 12:07 AM

Hi Jim, I am using a 15yr or so old Monkeywards basic machine with a number eleven needle and gutermann thread.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Fri, Jul 13 2007, 12:39 AM

Ken

I use a Pfaff 1473 or 1475 (we have two machines), a number 14 or 16 needle and polyester nu bond size 30 thread from Kathy Goodwin or from kitebuilder.com.

I have been told that the gum doesn't stick if you use a Pfaff. No one has been able to explain to me how the gum knows the needle is being pushed by a Phaff, so it shouldn't stick.

I use seam tape on all seams except the folded seams around the edges. I have replaced mylar with ripstop on a five year old Rev. When taking it apart, the old seam tape came loose from the mylar, so I used it to attach the new material with no problem. Sewed right through, no gum.

Go figure.

Jim

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Fri, Jul 13 2007, 06:09 AM

I use a Viking with a denim needle... I use seam tape as much as possible and have never had gumming problems...

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Jim Foster

Postby Jim Foster » Fri, Jul 13 2007, 11:05 AM

Ken

Where do you get your seam tape? We get ours from the same place we get our thread. Perhaps it is different seam tape. Don't know.

Jim

Return to “Sewing”