Summer Activities

Invites, discussion and general information about IKE Club Fly events and quick flys.
Mike

Summer Activities

Postby Mike » Tue, Jun 19 2007, 10:23 AM

As the festival season is winding down for a couple months we have some ideas that have been proposed for July and August.
Post here to let us know if you'd like to attend, or if you have suggestions for other activities.

*A family IKE picnic / club fly:
Meet somewhere with a playground or other activities for the non-flying members of our family. We'd do some kite flying, game playing and socializing.
Perry Farms which has a playground and a children's museum and is in a central location might be a good spot.

*Quad Party #3
As in the past two Quad Parties, we would meet in Champaign and fly quads all day. We'd put lots of quads out in the field for everyone to try. Most of the Revolution line of kites would be available as well as some unusual quads (Pigs, Deccas, German made Vision, etc). Pizza is on me for all who drive down.

*Team Try-outs
We're going to try and get this team of quad fliers off the ground (pun intended). More details soon, but basically we will have casual tryouts towards the end of July and anyone who wants to give it a shot is welcome. I'll post what skills you'll need and some things to practice. The team can be anywhere from 2 to 20 fliers, so anyone with enough control can join in the fun.

Knoted4ever

Re: Summer Activities

Postby Knoted4ever » Tue, Jun 19 2007, 10:03 PM

If the picnic is at Perry Farm, my wife could come for some good amount of time (but she can't take much in the way of warm temperatures, so she probably wouldn't be able to stay for a very long time); Perry Farm would be great, because she could leave to cool off at one of the relatives' homes nearby, visit with them too, which she likes to do, and maybe return or whatever.

i'd probably be able to come to the :revspin: party. i'm not afraid of the dark! :wink:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Wed, Jun 20 2007, 11:25 AM

oh

Dont forget Fishing :up: :up: :up: :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

www.chicagokite.com

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 27 2007, 04:49 PM

Any interest in the activities I mentioned?
If travel is a problem we can maybe do one activity up north, the other down south.

Post here, or PM me, or email me if you're interested in a quad party or picnic.

If you want to go fishing with Dave, PM him :-D

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jun 27 2007, 05:36 PM

I still like the idea of an IKE family picnic... Perry Farms is just fine with me.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, Jun 27 2007, 11:51 PM

Thats a BIG OH YAaa!!!!! with Quad Party #3, as well as a picnic.

"Hey Boo Boo,
Look what I have found... a Picnic Basket.
Watch out for thee Forest Aranger." :mrgreen:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Pkrekel

Postby Pkrekel » Thu, Jun 28 2007, 08:06 AM

A quad fly and a family picnic sounds great to me. :up:

chicagokite

Postby chicagokite » Thu, Jun 28 2007, 10:20 AM

ah

no body up for fishing or is it to slow like watching paint dry! :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

www.chicagokite.com

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, Jun 28 2007, 09:10 PM

i used to be an avid fisherman, and could catch fish when others were skunked. Recently a co-worker friend watched from a distance as i flew my kite while he fished. i'm glad i use kite lines now instead of fishing lines! Kites smell a lot better!

Another possibility for a good field to meet at is the Hawkin's Park field in Limestone, which is just like the west side of Kankakee. It's a better field than Perry Farm in that there are no big trees or buildings surrounding it... and the public comes and goes just like at Perry Farm. There are picnic tables there (not many), but no shade. It's on the kite fly map for IKE from when i posted it some time ago. Perry Farm is fine for me too though.
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Mike

Postby Mike » Fri, Jun 29 2007, 06:13 AM

I understand that Perry Farms isn't the best place to fly, but we are looking for a balance between flying kites and family activities.
Your wife likes shade too and it would be nice to have her come visit for a while.

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, Jun 29 2007, 11:45 PM

Perry Farm is fine by me! There are a lot of places to get refreshments around Perry Farm, which is nice! It may be a sizzler, considering this time of year!
Tom P.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sat, Jun 30 2007, 04:21 AM

So who would like to be first in throwing some dates out for all the above?

Picnic...

Quad Party3...

Tryouts...

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, Jun 30 2007, 07:37 AM

Well, the tryouts have already been set for either July 21 or 22nd. I'm leaving it a little flexible for now so we can see how the weather is.
See here:
http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=687

As for the picnic, which is better for y'all: a Saturday or Sunday?
How does the weekend of July 14-15 sound? That makes it two weekends in a row for some quad fliers.

Quad Party, maybe the 1st weekend in August? (Talk about hot! I'll bring water.)

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, Jun 30 2007, 09:01 AM

for me, it's Sunday as Jenny works on Saturday.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, Jun 30 2007, 08:56 PM

Marla has a bridal shower to go to on Saturday.

i have Frisbees i can bring.
Tom P.

backdraft

Postby backdraft » Sun, Jul 01 2007, 12:35 AM

Sunday July 15th would be good for my whole family. On Saturday, I will be in certification training from 7 AM to 8 PM so that day won't be good for me. We are looking forward to getting together with everyone.

Mike :clubfly:

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Sun, Jul 01 2007, 01:03 AM

Sorry but I would have to bow out on the 15th. Chicago Late Ride is that saturday night/sunday morning. What is the Late ride you ask... It is a 25/30 mile bicycle ride through the streets of downtown/near north of chicago. It starts at 2 am on sunday morning. Its a blast, been doing it for the last 4yrs now. So need less to say I will be sleeping my sunday away.

We could do the 29th which would give three weekends in a row, for the quads to practice. With the tryouts in between. Just a thought.

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Mike

Postby Mike » Sun, Jul 01 2007, 12:38 PM

the problem with the 29th is that it is the same weekend as Kites Over Branch County.
The competitors in our club had expressed an interest in attending.
Chris and Babbman are currently ranked 2 & 3rd, click here

The 29th is also bad for me. I'll be helping my son move into his college apartment on that day.

It's hard choosing a day that's good for everyone. I hate picking a day that would exclude folks who want to come.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sun, Jul 01 2007, 01:03 PM

don't forget that we have almost 3 weeks at the beginning of August that we can use too.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Invis

Postby Invis » Mon, Jul 02 2007, 07:00 AM

For a family event Sunday is best for "The Simpsons".

Return to “Club & Quick Flys”