Rev And Good Wind Speed

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Nick

Rev And Good Wind Speed

Postby Nick » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 01:42 PM

well i am a first time rev flyer i was just wondering what would be the best wind speed for flying
i fly the sle and i was wondering what spars to use is the wind speed is around 4 to gust of 15 mph and i dont know if i should use the three raps or should i use the 2 raps :thanks: :revspin:

Mike

Re: Rev And Good Wind Speed

Postby Mike » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 02:03 PM

that's pretty tough conditions for a beginner.
If the wind speed is mostly under 7 or 8, use the 2 wraps. When you get a gust of 15 while you are on the ground, wait to launch until it calms down again.
If you get the gust while it's in the air try to fly the kite as high as you can--what we call "the top of the window" or "the top of the wind window." The kite flattens out and doesn't get much wind up there.

Practice two things:

*flying to the top of the window and holding the kite way up high.

*crashing! :-) really!
When the kite comes crashing down, use a lot of brake (point your thumbs towards the kite) and throw your arms forward or even take a step or two forward.

You can also fly way off to the side when you get a gust ("the edge of the window"). It's harder to the hold the kite still over there, but it will probably do no worse than fall relatively softly to the ground. You'll need to put a stake in the ground, put your handles on the stake, and walk over to the kite and set it up back downwind to take off (straight downwind is called "in the middle of the window")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 03:15 PM

Mike is right on...

As you get more of a feel for the rev, you will develop your own taste for the spars you want to use. To start with, use the recommended ranges

(From the Rev Site)

Standard Wind Ranges:
3-10 mph (2 wrap frame)
4-16 mph (3 wrap frame)
6-20 mph (3 wrap frame w/2 wrap LE added)

Vented Wind Range:
5-20 mph (3 wrap frame included)
6-30 mph (4 wrap frame included)
10-45 mph (4 wrap frame w/3 wrap LE added)

Quite honestly, I don't feel comfortable flying in anything above 25.

as you can see, the ranges are wide and everyone has their favorite feel. For me, I try to fly 2 wrap whenever possible. When it gets gusty or above 10 or 12, I switch over to a 3 wrap. 4 is just a bit heavy for me unless I'm in a gale...

Here's another interesting chart I found in the forums on Kite Life..

http://www.dennyworld.com/kite/wind/

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 06:00 PM

Babbman!!! I have a question, and I may know the answer, but just for the heck of it, here it goes:
since the wind changes very rapidly do you have to have a kite for each wind condition? or do you change the tubings? Of course,...if you allready have the kites, then, just get another one, but for a new kite flyier... what do we do? and what if one cannot afford to buy so many kites?
do you mean we have to have 6 kites or more? At, At least $250.00 dollars a piece, it's a lot of dinero.
Last edited by Hector Herrera on Mon, Jun 18 2007, 06:33 PM, edited 2 times in total.
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 06:06 PM

I have a lot of kites... but I prefer 2. B-Series Standard and Vented. I keep all my spars in thin bags that I made and just switch them out. It only take a few mins and you are back up in the sky.

And it's LOTS cheaper.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 06:17 PM

8) when you change the spars, do you change the verticals too? or just the leading edge?
I feel that vertical don't have a lot of influence, but the lead, does, since they tend to bent when they are not riggid enough, for strong winds.
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 06:23 PM

Well, I tend to change out everything all at once. All 2 or 3 wraps... 4 wraps only for when we are hitting +18mph or so.

Chris (aka Babbman)

Chris

Postby Chris » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 07:34 PM

Remember, those are RECOMMENDED wind ranges...

Some of us are a little more reckless :wink:

I prefer to fly my vented with a 2-wrap in just about any wind condition. If the wind is steady, I will fly that combo anywhere from 7mph up to 18-20mph. Once the wind gets above 20mph, I will change to a three wrap, or even the 4 wrap SLE(super leading edge) The 4 wrap seems to help in gusty conditions.

As for the SUL, I will almost always fly with the 2-wrap, the same with the B series. Once I get into the 8-10mph range, 99% of the time the vented comes out with the 2-wrap(it's a perfect combo!!)

Just start with the recommended ranges, and never be afraid to experiment, kiting is supposed to be FUN!!! :mrgreen:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Nick

Postby Nick » Mon, Jun 18 2007, 08:12 PM

i would like to thank everyone for the info if u have any other info that u think will help plz post it :revspin: :thanks:

Return to “Quad Line Kites”