* Revo Tricks *

If you don't know what category to put your topic in, put it here!
Hector Herrera

* Revo Tricks *

Postby Hector Herrera » Mon, Jun 04 2007, 01:52 PM

I have a question for those who have been flying Revo. kites for a while and have a lot of experience with tricks. I kind of know the basic flying elements of quads fly but when I try to do the clock movement, sometimes I can not keep the kite steady, :wallb:
Can anyone tell me how to do the minutes, precisely? :roll:
On the slow rotation, I am very close, but the minutes...stop, go, stop, go stop, go, stop, go...
I am not, quite, there, yet.
Know what I mean?
****Héctor Herrera****
*El Artesano Del Viento*

http://www.geocities.com/don.hector0606 ... KITES.html

Hector Herrera

Re: * Revo Tricks *

Postby Hector Herrera » Tue, Jun 05 2007, 08:24 PM

Hmmm... no takers. Here is a video that I found.

http://digidownload.libero.it/StuntKite ... IVX300.avi

This is what I was taking about... 8)
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Chris

Postby Chris » Wed, Jun 06 2007, 05:39 AM

Practice, practice, and more practice.

:wink:
It's a great satisfaction knowing that for a brief point in time you made a difference.

-unknown

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed, Jun 06 2007, 06:23 AM

You can try posting a video of the kite and a video of your hands as you fly and we can see what you are doing right/wrong.
Since you can already do slow turns, it's probably like Chris said, just a matter of practice.

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Wed, Jun 06 2007, 06:37 AM

as Chris said... practice is the key... and the key to practice is:

1) break the moves down into their individual components.
All the moves in the video you posted are combinations of basic moves. Be sure you can fly straight and steady forward in any direction. Then do the same in reverse. Hovers in all directions, etc.

As for the clock work, again, break it down. It is all turns with sharp, crisp stops. Do 180's. When you have them down, do 90's. Go smaller from there. Don't be afraid to to use the opposite handle to help the kite come to a crisp stop. Start the turn with one handle and stop it with the other.

Don't be afraid to move your hands in and out or to take a step back or forward. It's all about maintaining pressure on a wing as the move progresses. For example, think about a turn from 0 deg to 90 deg. Look at your hands when at 0 deg. Remember their position. Turn the kite 90 deg. Hold it steady. Now, look at your hands again. They are not in the same position, are they? Remember this position. Now, the key to performing a 90 deg turn is to get the kite AND your hands from one position to the next. Their are all kinds of variables to consider such as wind speed, etc. Only through repetitive and boring practice will you get to the point where you just know through feel and kite position how to make the move. Practice it until you don't have to think about it. Then move on to the next move that you have trouble with. Again, break the move into it's individual components and work from there.

This sounds simple, but as any rev flyer knows, it is not. :shock:

I think one problem with flying a Rev is that from day one, a person is told to keep their hands together and right in front of you. Especially if you are a dual line flyer. While this is good advice while learning how to generally fly a rev, you eventually have to break from that and start moving your hands in and out, stepping forward and back and a host of other things in order to make the kite do what you want. Look closely at the video and watch his hands and their position... Of course, not everyone has the same flying style and virtually any move can be done in many different ways. Don't be afraid to try anything. There are no set rules, just guidelines, and it's all about your personal style and what feels more natural to you.

Finally, find some good flying music and use it to your advantage. For clock work turns, once you get the basics down of how to hold the kite in all 4 positions, put on some music that has a good steady beat and turn with the beat of the music. Enough of this and pretty soon, you will be doing nice steady 90's. Then go smaller. As you get better, you will realize that you are not thinking about each and every piece of the move in question, you will just be doing it.

Don't get discouraged at any point. While some can get a move down quickly, some cannot and there is nothing wrong with that. It took me a long while to get my inverted hovers kind of down and I am still working on that. Flying in reverse is the hardest of all moves in my opinion and I spend 90% of my practice time doing nothing but that.

I could go on and on but this is a start. You don't need another person to fly with in order to do this type of practice and personally I prefer to be alone when doing it. That way I can put on my iPod and just get lost in all of it. When you finally do get that move down that you have been struggling with, it always reminds me of that feeling I had when I rode a bike without training wheels for the 1st time....

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Hector Herrera

Postby Hector Herrera » Wed, Jun 06 2007, 08:05 AM

Thank you guys!
Babbman is right on the money, I appreciate, you, sharing your comments. Thanks pal.
I am thinking to go to work today and leave early, to celebrate my birthday, ...
AND I AM GOING TO FLY MY KITES FOR SEVERAL HOURS.... :up:
I'am also thinking to be absent Friday, and I am going to build my new creation kite, and do some more flying.
Thank you fellows,...
Hasta la vista, amigos... :LogoRevAni:
****Héctor Herrera****

*El Artesano Del Viento*

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, Jun 06 2007, 03:37 PM

Today, while practicing, i found myself stepping forward and backward at times... and thought that that must be wrong, since the quad team fliers stand so still in a row. It's nice to see Babb writing about moving some being OK!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Return to “General Discussion”