Team Flying

All about quad line kiting. If the dark side appeals to you, this is your place.
Mike

Team Flying

Postby Mike » Fri, May 11 2007, 12:31 PM

Attention Rev fliers!
I'd like to have an IKE team of quad-heads. Since it's hard for all of us to get together to practice, here is what we need to do instead.

Anyone who wants to fly team at a festival needs to be able to fly backwards in any direction and to hold the kite steady in any orientation.
Those are the two biggies; other things aren't as important. But if you can't do those, you will bring down the rest of the group.

After you've got those two, add pivoting around a wing tip.

So, if you want to be on the team, you may need to go out everyday after work or school for the next couple weeks and fly for a half hour or an hour.
That's all we're asking, 30 minutes a day. Just like the exercise gurus.

Do this and you can fly mega-team with a dozen or more fliers at the Grand Haven, Michigan festival.

Holding a Position
Start by practicing holding the kite in one position in the sky, face up, facing left, facing right. Aim for keeping the drifting to around a foot or less.
Pick a cloud in the sky, fly to it and hold your position. Turn left, right, do a 180, in place, and still hold your position.

Once you can do that reliably, start each practice section with that as a warm up.

Upside Down
This is the start of flying in reverse. If you have adjustment knots on your handles, shorten the brake lines relative to the top lines.
Start with your kite upside down on the ground. Back up and hover above the ground. At first, aim for 5 seconds. Then keep increasing the time.
Eventually you will make the leap and you'll be able to hold it for minutes.

Add "upside down" to the Holding a Position practice.

Reverse Flying
Spend the whole practice time flying in reverse.

Start upside down on the ground and fly in reverse to the top of the window. Then bring the kite down the ground in a slow controlled move. This is easier in light winds and/or with a vented kite.
Do this over and over until you can do it pretty steadily without wing-flips or erratic "whoops" moves.

Start upside down on the ground and fly in reverse at a 45° angle both to the left and to the right.

Final Exam
I hesitate to add this, but if you can do this, you are an elite flier.
Start at the top of the window, facing up. Turn Left. 180 to the right. Turn down (this is the tricky part!). 180 to the top. Pause for a few seconds in each orientation. Your lines should not be twisted when you finish and you should stay in pretty much the same spot. (You don't have to be perfect, but don't wobble by more than a foot or two.)

Now, the really tricky part. Face to one side, only flying in reverse, and trace out a octagon (8 sides, like a stop sign).
The first part will be easier because you are flying down and in reverse. When you are flying up and in reverse, go really slowly and make small movements. If you're flipping your wingtips, go slower. A vented kite/ light winds help here. Take your time at each turn.

When you start flying up from the bottom it will seem hard, but you've already done 45° reverse flying so you can do this once you get your head around it. For our purposes it doesn't matter if you bobble a bit trying to figure out the last few turns. You won't be doing that turn in the team flying and a lot of team fliers get confused there too.

Fly it both clockwise and counter-clockwise of course.

Babbman

Re: Team Flying

Postby Babbman » Fri, May 11 2007, 01:33 PM

I think this is going to be the only way for all of us to build enough skill so that flying together as a team is a fun adventure rather than an exercise in untangling kites...

Oswego brought this to a head for me. I decided that if I am going to be an asset to the team, I had better not be bringing them down and had better be able to what was needed without having to think through every turn and twist of my handles.

This all goes back to my earlier post about how I practiced playing pool. I had to find meaning to my practice and do it so much and so often that I could do what was necessary without having to think about every muscle required and how to move them all... Only after repeating things over and over and over and over was I able to get to this point.

It's not easy. It's not always fun. But, it works.

In actuality, breaking up the practice sessions into 1/2 hr or 1 hr sessions makes a lot of sense. It's enough time to pick one thing and do it over and over without getting board to death. After a few sessions this way, that one thing you were practicing will be easier to do. and you can go on to the next.

Another thing I do to make me WANT to practice more is to consider others who are better fliers than I am. I use Chris for this quite often (sorry buddy). If he can do something better than me, then damn it, I will find a way to do as good or better cause I'm sure as hell not going to let him show me up... :rotfl

My breakthough point was right before Decatur where I went out on Friday & Saturday for a few hours each day and did NOTHING except fly in reverse. At one point, I was so deep into my zone that I heard and saw nothing except my kite and damn near burned the sight of it into my retinas.. While this helped me really get some muscle memory, I still devote the major portion of my flying time to flying in reverse and hovering because it's quite honestly, very difficult.

Now, I almost hate to say this but sometimes practicing solo is much more beneficial than flying with others when it comes to learning the basics and reinforcing them over time. Don't be afraid to do it and don't use the lack of flying partners as an excuse for not doing it. As much as I like flying with others, sometimes putting the mp3 player on and focusing only on my kite is pure joy and great food for the soul.

I posted the ISK Stack Figures book in the download section. There are 3 sections in there that can be helpful for multiline flying. If you find that you really need something concrete to work on to help you practice better, then I suggest taking a figure that incorporates your weakest point and just start doing the figure until there is nothing weak about it. Then move on to the next.

That's my rant for the day.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, May 11 2007, 10:07 PM

:twisted: You poor chaps are all going to get headaches while practicing flying upside down! :twisted:
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri, May 11 2007, 11:35 PM

If I had a Rev, I'd be working on it. Maybe someday soon. 8)
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, May 11 2007, 11:59 PM

I suppose you want a 1.5? I just dug around in a closet and found a full "set" of Rev Is. The set is a SUL, an UL, a standard Rev and a Vented Rev. All of the sails are very crisp, colors don't match from kite to kite. I did not immediately see handles or lines, I gave the 1.5s awat to Zach Gordon a few years ago, so there is no chance of unearthing some of those. I could probably be talked into a trade for some video work. I need a commercial to be able to send to festivals that I am trying to get invited to, Interested?
Alan Sparling

Mike

Postby Mike » Sat, May 12 2007, 06:44 AM

Knoted4ever wrote::twisted: You poor chaps are all going to get headaches while practicing flying upside down! :twisted:

Nah, I'm part Chiroptera!

Anyway, we know you have a Rev--you should be practicing too!

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Sat, May 12 2007, 10:42 AM

TheBigKiteGuy wrote:I suppose you want a 1.5? I just dug around in a closet and found a full "set" of Rev Is. The set is a SUL, an UL, a standard Rev and a Vented Rev. All of the sails are very crisp, colors don't match from kite to kite. I did not immediately see handles or lines, I gave the 1.5s awat to Zach Gordon a few years ago, so there is no chance of unearthing some of those. I could probably be talked into a trade for some video work. I need a commercial to be able to send to festivals that I am trying to get invited to, Interested?

Interested...? Very much so! :up:
Keep calm, and park it in the pocket

IKE is on Image too!

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, May 12 2007, 11:59 AM

[quote="Mike"][quote="Knoted4ever"]

i took the SUL out the other day (don't tell anyone :oops: ) when the winds were low. It was a bit squirrely, as if one line might be longer than the others. i didn't measure the lines. Also, they seemed too long IMO. i'm thinking of making a short set of lines... i have a lot of Shanti. What length would be good? Would 50 or 60 ft. be OK?
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Babbman

Postby Babbman » Sat, May 12 2007, 12:58 PM

Knoted4ever wrote: What length would be good? Would 50 or 60 ft. be OK?

I would make a set of 75's and a set of 120's. Those are the standards we fly on. The shorter lines are ok in the lighter winds but do make everything happen a lot quicker.

Chris (aka Babbman)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety...
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Sat, May 12 2007, 09:40 PM

Thanks, Bab!... i'll do 75 foot lengths.
Tom P.

Return to “Quad Line Kites”