Ripstop Rotor Type Kite

Links to individual plans and discussion of the plans for all kinds of kites.
Drachenschwanz

Ripstop Rotor Type Kite

Postby Drachenschwanz » Wed, May 09 2007, 10:30 AM

I'm in the process of building a kite based on a picture I saw on Anthony's Kite Workshop

This is the project I was wanting to light up. I had a Styrofoam rotor that I hooked up with LEDs from an old computer and a coin battery and, before it crashed and burned, really looked cool spinning in the sky at night all lit up!

I'll document it as I go and if it actually works I'll post the steps.

The end disks are going to be about 30 inches around and the whole thing should be about 4' long.

I've only made a couple of kites before, at MAKR, so it should be a fun trip!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Knoted4ever

Re: Ripstop Rotor Type Kite

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, May 09 2007, 08:51 PM

That looks like it would be cool, especially with LEDs! :mrblue: Where do you attach the lines?... at each end (to the sides)? i wonder if anyone has made any sort of Ferris Wheel oriented kite?... that would be very cool, i bet!
Tom P.
Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Wed, May 09 2007, 10:10 PM

Got my first end done! Making the pattern was quite a trip!
The lines attach on each end where the central spindle sticks out. I'm hoping that three or four inches of clearance is enough to keep the lines off of the disk.

[imglr=left]http://www.ikeclub.org/Forums/album_pic.php?pic_id=878&full=true&user_id=76[/imglr]
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Wed, May 09 2007, 11:47 PM

Looking good! It looks larger than 30 inch circumference. I suspect that you could put a spreader in the bridle line just in front of the vertical parts of the rotor.

Not sure how you would fasten the spreader, though. That should be easy to figure out, I would bet.
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Thu, May 10 2007, 12:21 AM

kiteguy,

Yup, I should have said 30" diameter. :oops: Hey, since I have your ear on the subject, do you think I could skip the spreader if I put a long enough bridle on it? I have no idea if it will even fly yet and I'm looking to conserve weight wherever possible!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Thu, May 10 2007, 10:49 AM

Kiteguys right, that looks about 6' tall in the pic. Took me awhile to figure out where the other half of your sewing machine was. :lol:

The kite is hanging from a ceiling beam about 3-4' closer to the camera then the table. I've been to their house. :-) That beam will hold magnets and is the coolest place to hang kites.

Looks great Rick! Wonder what time elapse pics will look like of it light and spinning at night.

Grand Haven count down...8 days, 7 hours. :mrviolet:
TTFN,
Draftnik

kiteguy

Postby kiteguy » Thu, May 10 2007, 05:03 PM

Drachenschwanz wrote:kiteguy,
... do you think I could skip the spreader if I put a long enough bridle on it?

Yep, if the bridle is long enough. Just how long is the question.

I, too, am not certain if it will fly. The only rotor kites I have seen were about 10 in. diameter, (I have seen one that is 1 inch diameter) and they spun like a dervish in order to maintain flight. Flight was at a rather low angle. However, it did not look like they should fly at all!

If it does fly, though... it mystifies everyone that sees it!
Do you want a new kite? Build one! Enjoy it three ways, planning, construction, flying.

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, May 10 2007, 07:06 PM

I hope it does fly, it seems pretty darn cool. It would look great at a festival

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Thu, May 10 2007, 08:33 PM

This one i have to see! :up: i like the yin-yang design too!
Tom P.

Illinois_______ (excerpt from E. E. Cummings: "How many winds make wonderful... and is luck The skeleton of life")

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Thu, May 10 2007, 08:55 PM

Draftnik wrote:
Grand Haven count down...8 days, 7 hours. :mrviolet:

I expect to be pulling up to the beach house at GH in 7 days, 0 hours. Stagger down the steps in the morning and
figure out when I need to fly for the press.

Cub scout kite derby this Saturday :shock: First, I need to straighten out the pilot line one of the City guys rolled into a softball for me. :(
Alan Sparling

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Thu, May 10 2007, 09:45 PM

Knoted4ever,

Do you see a theme forming here?
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Thu, May 10 2007, 10:20 PM

Do you see a theme forming here?

Not sure if he does, but I do. What ever it takes to spawn that sewing bug the better.

Cant wait to see it out in G.H. :up:
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her
breath on you.
-------
Ken

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Fri, May 11 2007, 09:52 PM

There is a theme in that it matches something regarding the kite that you won at the auction at Lake Storey!... which is a worthy theme IMHO!

from Chapter Forty-two of the Tao Te Ching:

The Tao begot one.
One begot two.
Two begot three.
And three begot the ten thousand things.

The ten thousand things carry yin and embrace yang.
They achieve harmony by combining these forces.

... For one gains by losing
And loses by gaining.

Al, don't forget to let us know when it's time to help with packing! i'm really ready for G.H. too!... though i'm sure most other IKE members that are going are just rather indifferent about it. :wink:
Tom P.

TheBigKiteGuy

Postby TheBigKiteGuy » Fri, May 11 2007, 11:40 PM

Both the good and the bad news is that the big kite field will be really crowded this year. The good news is that we all help each other, the bad news is that we will really be hurting for space.

Club help is not the big deal it is when I am flying alone. With several big kite fliers there, I will be able to get lunch, take bathroom breaks and generally relax more than at most flys. I also get to socialize a bit, often the big kite field can become a lonely place, so it is bonus to get to have constant company. So, help is always appreciated, but not necessary this weekend. Now if someone wants to carry the crunch bags up the stairs........ :twisted:
Alan Sparling

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Wed, May 16 2007, 09:37 AM

Work on the spool progresses. I thought I was almost done....till it actually got in the wind. It needs some tweaking....lots and lots of tweaking!

The curve tends to collapse when the wind hits it from the convex side. Proposed solution, 4mm reinforcement in center and at each end that follows the curve. Hopefully it won't need more than that....

The disks tend to deform with higher wind (like 6 mph!). Proposed solution, The end cross piece isn't in place yet, that should provide more support.

Hey, is 10 spars too much for a kite?

I still need to figure out how to attach he trans-disk pieces, determine how to set the bridle-including the spin action thingy I'm going to create, and of course lights....
Plenty of time, GH is two days away! :shock:
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Draftnik

Postby Draftnik » Wed, May 16 2007, 09:50 PM

It looks good. You'll get tweaks figured out.

Winds, usually die down at night. Not sure if that happens near the lake, tho.
TTFN,

Draftnik

Knoted4ever

Postby Knoted4ever » Wed, May 16 2007, 10:49 PM

i think i'll soon find out what it is like to be a grasshopper in an old fashioned lawn-mower! :shock:
Tom P.

Frodos Majik

Postby Frodos Majik » Wed, May 16 2007, 11:29 PM

Looks very KWEL Drachenschwanz!!!
May Ol Ma Nature never hold her

breath on you.

-------

Ken

Drachenschwanz

Postby Drachenschwanz » Thu, May 17 2007, 09:55 AM

We're having issues, my kite and me! I think I went too far in reducing weight, the thing actually flew but it basically flattens itself out in the wind and flops around. I'm hoping that it's the 20mph winds outside right now and not a total failure!

I also can't get it to actually rotate....I think the sails are too big. The back side of one flattens out and catches the wind before the scoop side of the other can take over. I'll keep working on it but I doesn't look like it's going to make GH. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I may be a little pessimistic, I was up till 2 working on the spool monster so it's hard to tell!
My new motto:

Up the Wazo!

Mike

Postby Mike » Thu, May 17 2007, 03:34 PM

bummer. Maybe Chris will have some ideas. I know he made one, but I don't remember out of what materials. I know it wasn't as big as yours.

Return to “Plans”